Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a Captiva VCDi reg 2007 83km on the clock. Whilst test driving I did not start my journey to the right but 2 weeks ago I started the car and turned on near full lock right from a carpark space.I noticed and felt a knocking sound which disapeared as I accelerated.Since then I have noticed it every time I start from stationary & move to the right but not the left.Any one any ideas on the cause?The problem does not arise when driving generally i.e sharp right turns bu from stationary at low revs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Constant velocity joints,? try injecting the appropriate grease into it. If it's only there when you are turning i would think it would be that, but best thing go to your dealer, they should not charge you an arm and a leg to diagnose it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem. I have knocking sound on Left. I thought it was comming from steering well. But after few checks on 4500, 7500km dealer claimed that everything was OK with the car.Finnaly I notice that the knocking sound is not from steering weel. That I felt on clutch pedal while relising the steering weel from ful Left. So I went to dealer and they advise that it is a common problem with captivas, andinject some special grace and the problem is gone. Hope that this will help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this information, very helpful.where was the greace injected.My captiva is an automatic.Do you think this would make a difference?Would you know the name of the greace used?Thank you

·
Registered
380 Posts
Where the gaiter is on the driveshaft on the front wheels, you will need to get safely under the car, but best way is to ask a mechanic to do it, won.t take long, grease not expensive and your dealer will have it in stock.
i am pretty sure they would charge maximum half an hour, maybe couple of euros for the grease, but should not really take longer than 15 minutes, but they will also check if the gaiter is damaged. which would be the net cause of the problem, as certain types of usage and age can rupture the gaiter.Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi my problem was sorted under warranty.They explained to me that they have injected 7ml of special grace somwhere in the transmission - so called "KARDAN" here or "cardan" ( I don't know translation). The code for grace in my warranty book is X0282121 x 7ml.

·
Registered
380 Posts
cardan =driveshaft constant velocity joint, google one using images....pleased to help..
Happy motoring. How many euros was your car new out of curiosity?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Oldroverboy. Thankyou for your updates. Will do as you say and Google Cardan.
We did not buy it new it was 4 years old.We understand that as an automatic and fitted with 7 seats the current price of oursnew is circa 30K.(Euro).
Here in Spain all used cars are unusually expensive compared to UK.After 10 years here we have reluctentlygot used to this fact but for your info we paid 14500 Euro which includes 18% VAT and a further 8% transfer of ownershiptax! The Andalucian Government likes its share hence the reason many folks keep their cars longer here as compared to the UK.
Cheers StevieT

·
Registered
997 Posts
Lord, and I thought the UK government were money grabbing B******s! Oh yeh, they are! Maybe not so much as the Spaniards, or merely in different ways...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oldroverboy,I have Captiva LS, 2010 model( december), 2.0d,127Hp, manual - I paid 16500EUR with all taxes, it was some promo with 6500EUR discount before they announced new captiva.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts