Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new here so please bear with me. I have been through the search and can't find anything similar to the concern on this Captiva.

My dad has a 07 Captiva 2.4l petrol/LPG converted FWD Manual. He has owned it for just over a month and is worried about a slight but noticeable knock/click just before the steering hits full lock. He gets the knock when the car is stationary running on tick over and turning the wheel to almost full lock, he can then play the noise on the wheel by rocking it back and forth. (Both left and right lock)

He has took it to a garage and they have done several tests on the ramp and everything seems ok mechanical wise, but they did say that it seems to go when you put slight revs on the engine and turning the wheel. (or it may drown out the noise).

If anyone has a similar vehicle to the one above then could you check to see if you have a slight knock noise on the steering just before full lock. (tuning slow) I'm hoping someone may work at a dealer that could try this without going out there way too much.

I will get some more information on it later this afternoon and if anyone needs more info then let me know and I will reply as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time to read this and hopefully save my dad a few pounds.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are definately people who have experienced the same issue in here- I can remember reading the posts- something about the steering rack as I recall, butI would check to be sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I passed the information on to my dad, which he printed of the recall and took it to the main dealer who then said it wasn't applicable to the vehicle. I have also found the other thread about steering noise but it doesn't seem to mention how they go it fixed. I would guess the fault is in the rack but it's a costly job to jump into head first.

I will get a video posted up of the problem and maybe that will help more...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Experienced something very similar to what you describe. Normally a knocking noise at low speed and revs. (2008 LT 7 seater).

The local Chevrolet dealer said he could find nothing wrong - but that sounds parr for the course in my experience. with Chevrolet.

You might want to take it to a non Chevy dealer or an independent and see what happens before you contact Chevrolet Luton.

We just in the process of selling our Captiva, so I can't be of much more help I'm afraid.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts