Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our Captiva from new and purchased in March 2008, since new there has always had a burning smell.

In October 2010 the Clutch went, and we were advised that this was probably due to ridding the clutch and this wouldnt be covered under waranty. Thank goodness Chevrolet agreed this was a fault and replaced under warranty!!

Again July 2012 19 months later the clutch has gone again Chevrolet were contacted by the Chevrolet Garage and advised that this should be covered but they advised that they wouldnt, and this would cost £1004.After many phone calls Chevrolet have agreed to pay parts and we pay labour! I will be arguing the cost of labour once I have my car back as it has been out of action now for 12 days and need it back!!!!

If this happens to your Captiva stand your ground as it seems to be a comon fault with this car.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So far i haven't actually noticed many clutch problems, but maybe i have missed the posts.

Check that they are replacing the Dual Mass Flywheel at the same time, and (personally) I reckon you've got a pretty fair offer 2 years down the line, but by all means try, just be prepared not to get much if anything more from them. (parts cost isn't much, labour is the killer.) If you phone chevrolet make sure you get a case number. and make sure they give you their proper e#mail address, not the published one!

[email protected] is the real thing!

Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Clutch and warranties is always a difficult call as clutch is classes as consumable, ie. it wears out. But on the sale of goods act it has to be fit for purpose. I assume the car was from new and you havent done excessive mileagenin the 2 years. That being the case you need to fight for this, as new clutch in 2 years is NOT fit for purpose, never mind what the warranty says.

Be careful though. The route your have taken with Chevrolet offering parts and you paying the labour, can be seen in court as acceptance. You need to write to Chevrolet clearly stating you do NOT accept this offer, on the grounds the clutch was not fit for purpose. If they say it was, you have to get them to state the accepted lifetime of the clutch alongside its operational conditions. They wont be able to do that without stating publicly that their clutches are designed to last 2 years or X number of miles. If they still wont accept, you have to write making it clear you are paying for the repair without prejudice, and do not accept their offer. Then you need to take it to small claims court, threaten that action first, I would hope they would concede, as they are not likely to win.

If they say yiu have been riding the clutch, you need to fight that and ask them for evidence of it.

Not easy process, I'm affraid, and big corporations rely on the individual giving up, which is why they offered parts to you. My advice is stand your ground. If you have RAC or AA cover ma be worh paying themnto do a report if you have to go court route, but dont forget to keep receipts for these and claim the costs back to. But be careful small claim courts can be funny about awarding costs, so dont rack them up.

Good luck.Edited by: K.L.Richards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts