Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Just wanted to
share an engine warming message I got last week with my Orlando 2.0 LT Manual
Diesel.

I parked the car
up for a few hours while my better half dragged me around the shops. Returned,
inserted the key into the ignition & turned the engine over. Instead of the
mileage being displayed, a CODE 82 message was there & the Service Vehicle
soon light (a yellow car with a spanner on it) was flashing.

Not sure what this
meant, I pressed the menu button on the indicator lever to see if it would show
me more information. The Service light & Code 82 both disappeared when I
pressed the menu button & the mileage reappeared.

I drove the car
home, turned it or & back on & once again the CODE 82 message appeared!
I contacted Drive/Vauxhall to try & find out what the problem was as the
car is less than 6 months old & has only done 4000 miles!

Spoke to a sale
rep at first who informed me NOT to drive the car under any circumstance as it
could cause damage to the engine OR the computer management system would put
the engine into "Safe Mode" which would limite the speed of the
engine to 30 MPH! I explained that the car was less than 6 months old &
asked if I could speak to the service manager as this was not the first problem
I had experienced with the vehicle.

After talking to
the service manager I was advised to bring the car in first thing the next
morning when they would run a full computer diagnostics on it, as they didn't
know what a CODE 82 message meant!!!

I did a bit of a check
online before taking the car in & found out it needed an oil & oil
filter change - yes that right 4000 miles & the car was telling me the oil
& filter were dirty!

Cutting a long
story short Chevrolet spent 3 hours running a full diagnostics checks on the
car, only for there equipment to tell them the car needed an oil & filter
change! The cheeky so-and-so's wanted me to pay for it as a full service even
thou they only did an oil change!!!

The Orlando is a
great car to drive, but she will tell you off if the oil is dirty!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar problem. I bought an ex demo & when I went to pick it up Code 82 was showing. The dealer said there was a sensor in the oil filter which was probably faulty. They therefore drained the oil & replaced the filter. No problems since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A new engine needs an oil change around 3,000miles. as the engine fully beds in little particles sheer off your engine internals and clog the filter. you will notice better fueleconomy too as your engine and gearbox loses some of the tightness

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for that info. I don't think it says anything about that in the owners manual though. Pity......you live & learn. Talking of oil, the car had 9k on it when I bought it & I had it in for it's first service last week. Guess what - 2 oil leaks. Rocker cover & timing chain. So that'll be it off the road for a couple of days when the dealer gets the parts in. Wonderful!! Can't say I'm impressed with the fuel economy. I often wonder where manufacturers get their figures from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats not good news, oil leaks already
make sure they give you acourtesy car. glad they come with a 5 yearwarranty with the problems some people are having. mines meant to be arriving next week but i wont hold my breath. ive had the postcard saying it wont be long now, its on its penultimate leg of its voyage etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ASSUME WITH CODE 82 IT WILL NEED TO GO BACK TO A VAUXHALL DEALER FOR CODE 82 TO BE SWITCHED OFF AFTER OIL AND FILTER CHANGE.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
bill2503 said:
Can't say I'm impressed with the fuel economy. I often wonder where manufacturers get their figures from.

And I cant understand why buyers considering the 2nd biggest purchase they make (after a house) dont research the car, Fuelly and Spirit Monitor have 1000's of fill up records...

http://www.fuelly.com/

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Agree with you Chevvychase but as Bill2503 post is three years old it's a bit academic now!

For the record; all fuel figures are generated by a series of specific tests that apply to All Manufacturers.
In real life knock at least 25% off what the sales brochure claims for on the road use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have only just joined so that is why my reply to CODE 82 seems a bit late.

I have a 2011 Orlando and used to get the same message, to get over i put an oil additive like STP in the oil after the service and oil change and its sorted.

with just the regular oil used by GM the percentage of the oil will go down quite quickly, after the additive i can drive for 50 miles and the percentage will only go down to 95% and when the engine has cooled down its back to 100%.

personally i think the oil that GM use is crap.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Ian B, I found your solution puzzling. The Code 82 showing after an oil/filter change normally indicates that the dealer 'forgot' to reset the oil counter setting. Why adding STP or similar should 'reset' the counter setting is a puzzler to me.

Also your comment about oil level going down. If you check the level immediately after a run and still hot it will read lower simply because oil is still distributed around and throughout the engine block. Of course it will be back up to the 100% level once it has cooled - because the oil that was throughout the engine has now had time to drain down back into the sump which is what the dip-stick reads.

As for the quality of oil used by GM .... you might be right but... the question is do you really know what that big un-named drum out the back of the dealers actually contains?! It may well not be what GM recommends! This is how some dealers bolster their profit by putting in lower quality and charging you for the pucker stuff. (apologies to all you 'good honest' dealers out there but you know it happens.)
It is for that reason I always provide my own oil at service (fully meeting GM's specification, in my case 5-30 to Dexos2 C3 speci). The correct grade of engine oil is crucial to diesel engines with DPF's.

Ed

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Es,its not the oil level that goes down, its theviscosityof the oil, it will start off at 100% when new and cold and the % will decrease over time until it get below 10% (I think) when the spanner light and the error 82 comes on.

however, by using an additive and reseting the oil counter there will be a lot longer time before the warning appears again.

I first noticed this on my 2rd service and within a few weeks the % had gone down by quite a lot and even when i reset the % counter the % went down dramatically after a long run whereas after using the additive the % is a lot more stable and only drops a small % and is back to 100% when the engine has fully cooled down.

Its standard now for me after a service I top up with the oil additive.

IanB

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi Ian, Aahh; I understand a bit more now. The Orlando has this %'age viscosity setting that I dont have on the Captiva.
I'm not really sure how it reads your viscosity, especially as viscosity will shift according to temperature as it is supposed to do.
Is the oil level rising up the dip-stick? I'm wondering if you are experiencing repeat aborted DPF regens to affect viscosity by diluting the oil with fuel.
As a matter of interest what oil grade is recommended for your Orlando?

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I change oil 1,5 months ago and run around 4 t miles and when I run fast on motorway in germany this code 82 came on and slow me down when I slow down and change gear to lower one this code come out I try put this STP and see what happend .

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Your mention of hot fast run in Germany would seem to indicate loss of viscosity (do you have correct oil grade installed?) and the sensor reacted to the viscosity drop.To remove code 82 try this tip posted on another motoring forum.

Alrighty, to clear error 82, oil exhaustion warning if you want to change your own oil, turn the ignition to on without starting and fully depress accelerator pedal 3 times in 5 seconds then turn ignition off. Done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts