Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just had a Code 82 message on start up today; has anyone any experiences of this or similar codes?

Naturally, the vehicle will be straight in at the dealership this week - I presume a "check oil soon" scenario combined with a much lower than anticipated mileage being covered in the first few months of ownership.

Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Trax87, Code 82 is usually the change oil lamp. Is it a new or nearly new? Could be that the dealer didnt reset the 'oil counter' at service, especially as you say you've done lower than average mileage. For more posts and previous discussion use the 'search' function.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main dealer didn't correctly set the oil counter on preparation of the car on delivery; (or only after the 80 miles they put on the clock between the three days of when I viewed the car and collected it back in November, they'd reduced the oil quality down to just 50%).

The counter has been reset to 100% and a new main dealer oil and filter service undertaken.

In summary, not happy with this error in addition to the overall quality of the sales service.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Glad its sorted. Your original description, plus code 82, had failure to 'reset' written all over it!The answer is if they cant do a basic oil change correctly never go back there again. Hope the new dealer lives up to a more reliable reputation. Other than this, I hope you are pleased with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took my 2013 trax to dealer for of special coverage program 25160. They said no indication that the car has any issues relating to this program even though it stalls every now and then. They cleaned the power fuel and induction svc at my expense and now i have the code 82 on all the time. I called they they said I should read the manual and reset myself. I think I can do this if it will save me some dollars but the manual does not mention code 82. Help please.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Code 82 on GM vehicles normally means the oil change warning needs re-setting.The normal resetting procedure by the owner can normally be actioned by the following procedure.

Petrol engine
1. Turn the ignition key to ON/START with the
engine off.
2. Fully press and release the accelerator
pedal three times within five seconds.
3. Turn the key to LOCK.
If the change engine oil lamp comes back on
and stays on when you start your vehicle, the
engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat
the procedure.
How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System
The engine oil life system calculates when to
change your engine oil and filter based on
vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset
the system so it can calculate when the
next oil change is required.
To reset the engine oil life system, do one of
the following:
""¢ Using the scan tool
Your authorised repairer will reset the
system using scan tool after changing the
engine oil. Consult a workshop. We
recommend your Chevrolet authorised
repairer.
""¢ Using accelerator pedal
After you change the oil, the oil life monitor
will need to be reset. See your authorised
Chevrolet repairer for service.
Diesel engine
1. Remove key from ignition switch for more
than one minute. Then turn on ignition key
(do not start engine).
2. Perform the following procedure:
1) Press the accelerator pedal to the floor
and hold it on the floor for 2 seconds.
2) Release the accelerator pedal and take
your foot off of the pedal for 2 seconds.
3) Repeat this sequence (1, 2) two more
times (for a total of three times) within
one minute.

You dont tell us where you are located (missing from your set-up data) but as you talk in $ you are probably not UK based.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts