Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Code 84 and then engine light - diagnostic report attached

9K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  lulla 
#1 ·
Hello experts,

Today morning wifey was doing a local journey and came back with Code 84 , which then disappeared and then Engine Light came on. local nearby garage has done a report before closing for the day and whatsapp'd me the attached report.(He will check it properly in morning). I am not that technical with cars, but anyone here can see and shed some light as to what could be the problem and what to expect. I was thinking it might be some DPF warning due to local journeys, but i do take it to moterway in high every regularly to burn the soot off
I am in UK, Chevrolet Orlando Diesel Auto, about 70K miles. only normally doing local journeys, own car for 7 years. Full MOT & service done 5 months ago.

Many Thanks
lulla

See less See more
#2 ·
Lulla, The listing provided makes interesting reading.
You mention 'experts'. The thing to remember is that we are all 'owners' just like you.
I'm unsure what you expect / want us fellow owners to do with this list?
You are perfectly capable of looking up the explanations behind every one of these 17 reported codes and reading the potential cause(s) behind everyone of them.

There is nothing directly related to DPF so I'm not sure why you mention this - although it is fair to say that DPF issues can generate some strange anomalies.

The one 'stand out' item is the repeated implication of battery power or ground and/or lack of it !
My immediate thoughts are ..... when was the battery last replaced?
My first inclination is to borrow a decent battery and substitute it with the current one.
Failing batteries and low amps will cause all sorts of strange 'misreading's'.

My next area of investigation would be corroded / loose / earth to chassis and the earth to the under bonnet fuse box.

Either you or your mechanic can investigate the power and earthing issues first.

#3 ·
Thanks Aussie Ed,

Thanks for you swift response.

My battery is fairly new and never had any problems at all, and my local mechanic told me he has checked everything and fixed the issue yesterday and told me he had to clean the EGR value and I have driven the car for 2 days and no engine mgt light. So seems to have worked whatever he has fixed.

Today morning though we have a new warning light. It is a amber car symbol with 2 curly lines below it (Traction Control/Slippery Road sign). The light stays on continuously all the time. was on yesterday and still on today.

Have taken it back to garage, he quickly ran the test and told me its to do with Steering Wheel Angle management, and told me he can try recalibrate as option 1 or to get a new part and replace it. He is going to try opton 1 and will let me know. I will again update here.

What I find strange is , in last 6 years I have had no amber lights and now in 7 days have 2 different warning lights in such a short span. Is it just unlucky or something else hidden beneath is causing these events.

#4 ·
Lulla, Appreciate your reply that it has been an EGR problem and fixed. This was listed in the original codes but I am surprised at the extensive list of other 'errors' many of which implied an electrical issue.
It is not good news to learn of the Steering Wheel angle management issue. I might be inclined to test the ABS sensors (easily done with a multimeter) as they can throw up stability issues and possibly steer (excuse the pun) you or your mechanic in the wrong direction.

At least I have to say you have a mechanic who is responsive and has the equipment and the apparent knowledge base to help resolve your problems. A rare thing now.

#5 ·
OK , some update.
SWASM(Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Module). The garage tried to recalibrate/reprogram this , but the warning light still staying on. He is now looking online to see if a Vauxhall equivalent replacement part will fit and if so he will order it. (not sure if we can still order OEM Chev part). Not exactly sure if euro

He also said that if I want I can take the car and drive locally, as he thinks its not going to cause any trouble temporarily as it may take some time once he finds a required part to order and receive.

#7 ·
#8 ·
We did look at the GM link, but it doesn't show Orlando model within Chevrolet, and on ebay he did see a few, but i think he told me the delivery time is about 4 weeks away and it turns out to be defective it will be a whole month wasted, and wanted to find something that can arrive in days instead of a month. But lets see , he is going to update me tomorrow again.
But thanks a million for being so swiftly responding back. Much appreciated

#9 ·
#10 ·
Just to close this topic, I got this part number and my mechanic changed it about nov 2021, light then came back and stayed for almost whole year, Fast forward Nov 2022, he did some reprogram/recalibrate the same thing and now the light is gone for good. I took in all about a year to this to resolve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.