Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an LTZ 2Ltr 163 Auto in Spain and keep getting Code 84 and loss of power when it happens which isintermittent. Dealer thinks it might be the Turbo, anyone else had this. Also been told I can't have a handbook in English other than pdf files stuffed in the glove compartment. In my opinion Chevy let themselves down badly in this respect. I contacted Chevy US, Europe and UK plus a UK dealer, all slopped shoulders but was told to have a nice day! Hope this is is not the start of things to come. Other than this the car is fine. Roy M

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes of course the car is under warranty, from the number of owers that have had this problem I'm already worried that this will not be rectified in the short term. I was originally told bythe garage that I had filled with water contaminated diesel, this turned out to be a red herring. I'm back next week for a further investigation. Incidentally had there been water in the diesel I doubt the warranty would have covered the work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am in Spain and I have a 163 auto Orlando now done 16,000 miles and no lights ever yet.I know a good service dealer in Spain, where about are you.
Do you think it might be the DPF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am near Figueres NE Spain. The car has just returned from a 3 day stay in the garage, changed some solenoid behind the engine windscreen side but still no good. Starting to feel a bit isolated. Your suggestion about thhe DPF is a valid one except this code 84 came up on my first drive with 70km on the clock. Does the DPF have another code? Roy M

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am in Calpe near Benidorm, bit of a distance.

We have two dealers nearby, one is crap and the other brilliant. I have to say as yet had no problems at all so far and I use it mainly to tow our very heavy caravan.

Not sure about code numbers try emailing Chevy in the UK [email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Roy,

I have looked in my handbook and code 84 means "engine power is reduced" page 80 in my handbook

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Calpe, good fish restaurants and visit Benidorm Palace regularly. Orlando back in garage linking computer to Chev/Espana.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to letthose know that have an interest in code 84 on a new Orlando LTZ Auto. Continuing saga, bought the car in May 2012and it has been in and out of the garage ever since with no end result. Totally despondent about lack of support from Chevrolet head office (to support my dealer in Spain) afraid to go anywhere in this car. This code 84 seems to come on at any time and becauseit cuts the available power,it can be very dangerous. Imagine being in the fast lane of a motorway doing 120km/hr suddenly code 84 pops up and you are down too 100km/hr with no turbo, scary or what! Seriously has no one had this problem on a Orlando LTZ Auto 163bhp. Roy M

·
Registered
380 Posts
Do you have the same rights in spain to reject an unsatisfactory car as in the uk, try reading the captiva forums as some captivas had the same engine, and particularly the autralian nz holden forums, aussie ed has put a link on one of our captiva posts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Knowing the spanish garages as I do it should be up to them to sort it out, I bought mine in the UK but have it serviced and looked after by a Chevy dealer in the next town, and they are very helpful. It could just be that your garage is not very knowledgable. The one by my house is useless.

Failing all that the man I dealt with at Chevrolet UK about an issue with my tow bar was [email protected] he is or was last year the head of customer relations, although it is not Chevrolet UK you should be dealing with, but an e-mail asking for his advice might help.

There is a body in spain I have used before, similar to trading standards, all businesses are frightened to death of them, I have tried them twice and the mere mention of their name gets instant action, just cannot remember who they were, but you could investigate a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Orlando is currently in the Spanish garage where they are changing the turbo hoping to cure the code 84 problem. I'm not sure what happens in Spain if the goods purchased are not fit for purpose, having had this problem from May to Sept I think this is ample time to rectify code 84 and if its still not right I guess we go down the legal path as a last resort. Any advice here is welcome. Roy M

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi peeps, just got code 84 on my new cruze 163, I have now (3.5k) miles done since sept.
it came on after 40 miles on the motorway at 60mph, for 5 mins (reduced pwr ), then it went off again.
will monitor it and see what happens.
Edited by: dervb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well here we are Xmas 2012 with my Orlando back in the garage with code 84, this after replacing turbo etc, will this never end but then I've only had the problem from new over 8 months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just for the record, I had this code 84 for 10 months with the car spending more time in the garage than with me. I requested a replacement car this wasrefused and as a last resort they reprogramed the cars computer. For three months now no more code 84. Why was this not done many months ago? Roy M

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, the firsttime i took it in they found no faults.
the next time it happened i took a photo with my phone and scanned it obd2, which i had from my vectra dayz...this time i had a very reasonable and constructive chat with the managers..Guess what, replacement car no money exchange & 2 complementry servicings for the messing about.
So 6k miles later my black cruze hasn't had 1 problem .in a nutshell my blue chevy cruze should have been painted yellow.lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi dervb I should have stayed in Skelmersdale instead of buying an Orlando in Spain where they delightin no customer service. They did loaned me a new black Cruze that was most impressive while they investigated my car. Ironically I have just returned from touring southern Spain in ahired Insignia and had only gone 15m when I started getting Coded messages via the onboard computer. Yes the commondenominatoris GM. If GM/Chevy ever read these please make sure all of your franchises are equipped with all the necessaryECU test equipment coupled with skilled operators. Changing half the engine andfinally deciding to reprogram the computer in one year seems a very poor solution. Will I buy another Chevrolet sadly noeven though the Orlando could have been a very good car. Finally on contacting customer services in Madrid, I was told that they did not involve themselves in these sort of issues but handled mainly surveys on customer satisfaction, clearly i had contacted the wrong planet.Roy M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All.

Have had code 84 with and without spanner light off and on since i had the car (1 year now) also rough tickover, been into garage and was told they could not find anything wrong, the second time was told that it was no 1 injector and it should be OK as it had been cleaned, took it back a week later for its second service and still running rough and was told that there was nothing wrong with the injector and the rough running was normal,took it back again this morning and was told that it was a faulty injector and one was on order.

We will see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Again.
Got car back on the 6th Sept after a new injector had been fitted. Started it up on the 7th and code 84 and spanner light came on and stayed on. Phoned Stoneacre who said that they could not do anything on Saturday but the car is OK to drive and will not do any damage and they will phone me on Monday. Well it is Tuesday the 10th and nothing yet. Will keep you all posted.

When i said to one of the service desk people about this forum he said " Oh we never look at them"I told him you should, you might learn something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts