Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2017 chevrolet trax 1800 ecotec engine, when I park the car for more than a day and then start it, after few seconds 89! code appears on the dashboard and the radiator fan starts till the rpm of the engine goes to (1) * then the code dissappears and the fan stops.
I've seen it happening for a few times in the last few months.
the approximate mileage on it is 46000 miles.
The first time I saw the code (it was for oil change) I couldn't change the oil and the filters, but after two months (and almost 1300 mile) I changed the oil and all filters, my battery is not that strong (the same battery from the company since they made the car in 2017) my brakes half age, and the same coolant in the car since they made the car.
Is it normal to see that code and the fan to start when I start the engine?
Does the battery affect it?
Do I need to change the coolant (do a coolant flush)?
Two more questions.
Do I need to change the Transmission oil and any of the belts?

·
Super Moderator
7,867 Posts
Haroon, you have hit us with a multi question post and most of them are answerable such as belt changes, coolant etc which are explained in the owners Handbook. Remember that some items may be age/time related and not mileage.
Code 89 is usually related to the Service schedule. There are existing discussions on file (access via the Advanced Search function) Search results for query: Code 89
A poor / low charged battery cant have a varied impact on the function of the vehicle.
My thoughts are that you should consider having the battery replaced and a suitable service undertaken and then see if this resolves the coding problem.

Reactions: Haroon

·
Registered
951 Posts
I agree with what Ed says, especially about the battery. Code 89 is a warning that there is a fault, it’s similar to the spanner light. It doesn’t have one particular meaning, it could be anything - fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensor or faulty fuel injector(s).

If you get Code 89 on a cold start with a diesel it's sometimes a faulty glow plug. On yours, the fact that your fan runs might mean a faulty signal to the ECU from your thermostat. If it is faulty you’re better to use an OEM replacement, aftermarket ones can be troublesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haroon, you have hit us with a multi question post and most of them are answerable such as belt changes, coolant etc which are explained in the owners Handbook. Remember that some items may be age/time related and not mileage.
Code 89 is usually related to the Service schedule. There are existing discussions on file (access via the Advanced Search function) Search results for query: Code 89
A poor / low charged battery cant have a varied impact on the function of the vehicle.
My thoughts are that you should consider having the battery replaced and a suitable service undertaken and then see if this resolves the coding problem.
My thoughts are that you should consider having the battery replaced and a suitable service undertaken and then see if this
Thank you
I read the manual the coolant flush should be done after four years.
Replace the battery after 3 or 5 years.
The transmission oil (read about it on the internet) they said between 60k to 100k mile.
The belts need inspection as I remember.
I wrote them because a lot of people said 89 code means that thermostat need to be replaced.
Thank you again!
Should I delete this post?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with what Ed says, especially about the battery. Code 89 is a warning that there is a fault, it’s similar to the spanner light. It doesn’t have one particular meaning, it could be anything - fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensor or faulty fuel injector(s).

If you get Code 89 on a cold start with a diesel it's sometimes a faulty glow plug. On yours, the fact that your fan runs might mean a faulty signal to the ECU from your thermostat. If it is faulty you’re better to use an OEM replacement, aftermarket ones can be troublesome.
Thank you!
That's why I wrote the question like this, I wanted to mention everything, wondering if any of them could be the reason, like should I do them one by one and see if they solve the problem or go and change the thermostat and that's it.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
7,867 Posts
Haroon, Member Victor has simply outlined some of the possibilities, he hasnt made a definitive diagnosis on the thermostat, just a knowledgeable 'maybe' suggestion based upon his many years of experience.
Do note that Victor explains that Code 89 is rather 'generic' and he mentions several other possibilities so it raises the question as to where do you start replacing items on 'maybe' basis.
It is not clear from your original post whether you have been the owner from new - I suspect yes as you appear to know battery age etc. This Forum has many posts of 'ghost' codes which were resolved by having a good level of battery power. There may even be some stored OBD diagnostic codes which may provide further guidance.
I would approach the situation by tackling the issue as I previously outlined. "My thoughts are that you should consider having the battery replaced and a suitable service undertaken (good for the vehicle anyway) and then see if this resolves the dash coding problem".
It is rather your decision on whether to start replacing parts as 'maybes' or a battery & service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haroon, Member Victor has simply outlined some of the possibilities, he hasnt made a definitive diagnosis on the thermostat, just a knowledgeable 'maybe' suggestion based upon his many years of experience.
Do note that Victor explains that Code 89 is rather 'generic' and he mentions several other possibilities so it raises the question as to where do you start replacing items on 'maybe' basis.
It is not clear from your original post whether you have been the owner from new - I suspect yes as you appear to know battery age etc. This Forum has many posts of 'ghost' codes which were resolved by having a good level of battery power. There may even be some stored OBD diagnostic codes which may provide further guidance.
I would approach the situation by tackling the issue as I previously outlined. "My thoughts are that you should consider having the battery replaced and a suitable service undertaken (good for the vehicle anyway) and then see if this resolves the dash coding problem".
It is rather your decision on whether to start replacing parts as 'maybes' or a battery & service.
I understand what you said.
I bought the car a year ago, I found nothing when I had it checked by computer.
I feel like the battery is dying and I'll replace it hoping it'll solve the problem.
After that I'll decide if I'll do a flush or replace the thermostat and do the flush.
And I'll keep you updated.

·
Super Moderator
7,867 Posts
Sounds like the way forward. We will wait for your update.

As a new member the following link has some useful Forum information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I co
Sounds like the way forward. We will wait for your update.

As a new member the following link has some useful Forum information.
I haven't had the time to replace the battery till now but I adjusted the air pressure (I put some air) in the tires more than a week ago and the code hasn't appeared after that so it could be that 🤔 I'm not sure because I couldn't park the car more than 48 hours and I don't know if the code would appear if I parked the car less than 48 hours 🤦

1 - 9 of 9 Posts