Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
Having problems starting car in the mornings. Getting worse as winter setting in, with white smoke smelling of Diesel. Changed air filter and fuel filter. Booked it into my local car mechanic and he surmised it was the glow plugs. Had them done and it's the same problem. Spoke to him again and he doesn't know what it could be. He wants to try a cold start for himself. Already told him the symptons. Anyone else have any suggestions/advise?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JM. I will suggest that to the mechanic when I drop the car off tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
I've looked back at the original post and re-read your mention 'white smoke & smell of diesel'
Having checked these symptoms on line they say;-
"White smoke coming from your diesel engine can also be a sign that water is getting into your diesel fuel and entering the combustion space. Commonly, this happens with faulty head gaskets or a cracked cylinder head/block. ... So, listen to your engine when it's blowing smoke"
Is there a chance you recently filled up with water contaminated fuel? Check your coolant level, have you lost coolant into cylinders?

·
Registered
Chevrolet Orlando LT, 2011, 2.0 Vcdi 131hp
2 Posts
hi, i have the same cold start issue on my chevrolet orlando 2.0 vcdi 130k manual. in the morning when the temperature is below 5 ° C he does not want to start and it smokes white with the smell of diesel. glow plugs and relays have been replaced. the coolant is not lost.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
hi, i have the same cold start issue on my chevrolet orlando 2.0 vcdi 130k manual. in the morning when the temperature is below 5 ° C he does not want to start and it smokes white with the smell of diesel. glow plugs and relays have been replaced. the coolant is not lost.

Incorrect Air to Fuel mixture possibly. Check for torn / split air feed hose. What diagnostic codes are recorded?

What year is your vehicle. How many Kms. Where in the World are you?
Kindly complete your Sign-up. Info here to assist you;- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
Chevrolet Orlando LT, 2011, 2.0 Vcdi 131hp
2 Posts
The diagnostics do not show any errors, it has good performance. The car, when heated, smokes black during acceleration and is accompanied by a sound similar to a vacuum cleaner.
I have added position and vehicle data

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
The diagnostics do not show any errors, it has good performance. The car, when heated, smokes black during acceleration and is accompanied by a sound similar to a vacuum cleaner.
I have added position and vehicle data

So now you provide more information! Why not advise this in the first place?
Black smoke. Fuel too rich. Possibilities are stuck EGR, Torn or split air feed somewhere, Defective turbo. Vacuum cleaner sound is typical of air feed problem.

The forum search function discusses all of these. There are lots of discussion on black smoke. Start by reading these links :-
Search results for query: black smoke

From what you describe there are usually diagnostic codes stored. Make sure the code reader is capable of diagnosing ALL GM codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts