Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I havesome questions that I'd appreciate some help with.

1) I'd never even heard of DPF issues before reading some of the posts here. My last 4 cars over thepast 10 yearshave all been diesel 2 x Citroen Grand Picasso, Ford Mondeo and Mercedes E Class. They've all been company cars and I guess the main reason for choosing Diesel was for the lowerincome tax. We've always done a fairly high proportion of town driving. Are the Orlando's or Chevrolets in general more prone to theseDPF issues than other cars ?

2) For me the 2 litre diesel automatic seems to tickallof my boxes. Reading the various reviews it seems that most are saying that the diesel performs better than the petrol engines. Do you guys agree ?

3) I'm concerned about depreciation as I'll be opting out of my company car scheme andbuying the next car myself . I'm seriously considering buying a car that's a year old. There seem to be plenty around throughdealersfor around the £13K mark. I'm thinking this represents a big saving against a brand new one unless you can get a **** of a big discount against the list price. I realise that a lot of these nearly new cars are probably ex hire cars but the fact that there is a transferable 5 year warranty must be good news. Any thoughts please ? What sort of price have you guys paid if you have bought new ?

Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

I have the 163bhp diesel and have done a thousand miles and it is even better than I thought. I too was worried about the DPF issue as I never new there was a problem with the one on my BMW. But I can find just as many complaints about the DPF on thae bmw as I have on the chevrolet so I think it all comes down to driving style and the routes / distance done per trip. I also think the satnav is better than it gets credit for, particularly as it does do postcodes.

There is loads of diesels for circa 13k but it is worth noting the slightly odd valuations of the used as you can often find a private low mileage ltz for the same money as a high mileage ex hire car at a supermarket.

The warranty is a bit of a tricky one as depending on when and who bought the car originally depends on what warranty and service pack it may have on it. As a rule all registration to fleet / hire do not have 5 years warranty, ex demo also did not have 5 years unless it was registered in the last couple of months as the rules changed. Also up to some point last year private buyers could negotiate a lower new price if they chose to drop down to the 3 year warranty from the 5 year one. The best way is every time you see a car you like ring up chevrolet customer service as they will tell you what warranty options are on the car.

I ended up buying one with only 3 years warranty with a view of just buying the extra years warranty at years 4 and 5 through car care plan who provide the extended warranty anyway.

Hope this help

Edited by: cravensmythe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I hadn't realised there were issues like this with the warranty so that's a great help. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the 163bhp Orlando Auto LTZ since January 2012 after waiting nearly 6 months done nearly 10,000 miles, was worth the wait. The DPF issue touch wood has not caused a problem at the moment, the only niggle I have as do many others is the lack of light when opening the drivers door as when you first have the car find difficulty in finding the key hole. The Car itself I cannot believe is a diesel the way it drives also for such a big vehicle, saying something though I would actually buy another which is something to say about a vehicle, luckily for me I also found a good garage as some out there I would not let them service my wheelbarrow. The heated seats are to die for, the sat nav though is good once you get used to its strangeness especially if used to a Garmin as I was, this system is very accurate without the annoying recalculating voice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm pleased you like it. I don't have to give back my company car for a few months yet but I think I've decided that if I can buy one of these at the right price then I'll most likely go for it. All comes down to the numbers really v's the company scheme. To be frank my first love is Motorbikes and what I want from a car is something reliable, comfortable, and which doesn't cost me a fortuneto get the family from A to B. Anything more than that will be a bonus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Kevinhiatt.. How come you have heated seats in your LTZ? Was it an optional extra?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lovely heated front seats (leather), Automatic with Sat Nav it has the Executive pack. Also those very largedoor mirrors are good for towing a horse trailer as the car can tow 1500Kg. The Orlando keeps surprising and I have strangers approach me to ask aboutthe it including where I have it cleaned.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can have my heated seats not used much here in spain, we have to have a bath towel on ours as it will burn your bum with the heat of the sun.

Done 20,000 miles now never had the DPF light come on ever, did have at 17,000 the code 82 come on which means an oil change, but as this is a dusty country and I tow a heavy caravan it must work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had my 2.0 VCDI LTZ Auto Ex-pack since March and not had a problem with it, very nippy with good over taking speed, heated leather is also great in this cold weather. only things i can fault it on is 32mpg combined and nointerior lights. space wise it's HUGE with all the seats down, had a cement mixer in there and still had room

Will be keeping mine for a good few years, it even rides nice on 18" alloys which was surprising, overall a good family car but the Auto's seems to be heavy on juice or i've got a heavy right foot

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will be keeping mine for a few years I have just seen the price of used models, talk about loosing money.

I have been getting 40 MPG in my auto

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi cravensmith

I'm buying a second hand Orlando and want to check its warranty but I cannot find a number to ring. Do you gave the number for Chevy customer service that you mention in your post?

Thanks

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts