Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

First off, I don't know anything about Chevrolet Lacetti's, but a car is a car, I reckon. I am visiting my father-in-law in Russia and he owns a Lacetti. I am from Charleston, SC, USA.

So he had some work done to the car right after I got here. From what I could make of it, he had have the valves replaced on 2 cylinders.

Afterwards he noticed that the car was running too cool. It will warm up properly, but then it overcools. It appeared to me that the thermostat was staying open too long.

We bought a thermostat, then took the car apart and found out that his had the one piece thermostat/housing. So we went to another store and bought the metal two piece housing and a gasket to go around the thermostat we had, and went back home and put it together.

The problem is that it is still behaving the same. The car warms up, then overcools once the thermostat opens.

I thought perhaps the cheap thermostat we got could be faulty, even though its new. I would like to go buy a part from the dealership (they tell me Opel makes this motor?). perhaps it would be of better quality.

Any other ideas out there on why else this might be happening?

To me, everything seems to be operating, except that once the thermostat opens the car heat in the car cabin is not as warm as it should be (the engine temperature gauge indicates that the operating temp of the engine goes down to the first mark, he says it usually has always stayed right in the middle). The first time I rode in the car I had to take my coat off cuz I was hot, (before the work was done to the car). Now that is not the case. It was -10 deg C this morning and the heat barely worked. He uses his Lacetti as a taxi, so this is his bread and butter.

He wants to wait until monday to make it over to the dealership, so I thought this was a good opportunity to beat some ideas around for a couple of days. Plus it will be nice to be able to communicate in English, as I don't speak russian and my in-laws don't speak english, LOL.

It is a 1.6L engine, about 5 years old (2007). Its got about 300,000 km on it. I can get more specifics if it would help.

He also has some sort of engine heater installed that burns gasoline to heat up and circulate the coolant. Never seen one before, but just FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went by the dealership today. They had two options:

1. buy the original replacement thermostat in a single piece plastic housing (which is what was on the car) for about 25 USD

2. buy the metal (aluminum) thermostat housing which comes with a new thermostat for 40 USD

when i explained to them that i already had the metal housing but the thermostat had went bad and I just needed the thermostat, they informed me that they did not sell just the thermostat.

they suggested that I could buy the plastic one, and after the plastic housing came apart (which they assured me it surely would come apart during the summer heat) I could put that thermostat inside my metal housing (they didn't realize that the metal one requires a rubber gasket around the thermostat and the plastic one didn't, so I wouldn't actually be able to do that, but I didn't bother to explain).

I don't deal with automobile dealers back home, and I guess I shouldn't have expected it to be any different here.

I walked next door to a parts house, where I bought a genuine GM plastic assembly (with the thermostat in it, the exact same one the dealer had) for 12 USD.

At least we have the option of installing that one to see if it cures the problem, and we can also cut it open and install just the thermostat in the metal housing afterwards (not a big fan of the "wait for it to fail" plan the dealer suggested).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, one morning last week when it was a relatively warm -16 degrees Celcius we switched the thermostat assemblies.

The GM part (albeit plastic housing) seems to have corrected the overcooling issue. So the first thermostat was simply a case of a brand new part being no good. This has happened to me before, and I reckon it won't be the last time.

This must not be too popular of a forum. Not too many Lacetti owners, I guess.

42 views, 3 of which were me, and not one response. Not even a friendly hello.

Oh, well, goodbye.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its a bit late for reply but the radiator fan engine temperature sensor is a usual fail part and costs about £10 on ebay.co.uk. Try this as well. My thermostat is plastic cased and is another usual fail part especially if the coolant water is from the tap and too little anti freeze is added to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts