Chevrolet Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems very odd that so many are suffering the same date/time problem at similar time? If there is a battery that is dying, that could explain the common failures??
I'm still betting on this being an 'offset epoch' software defect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue for about the past 2 months. No date/time even though there are 7 or more satellites active in the GPS. Given the STANAV still works, the unit knows where it is, but there seems to be an issue in getting the GPS time into the system.
I checked the WindowsCE control panel, date/time (as described elsewhere in this thread) and the date was set to the year 2061! I expect that would cause some issues with the software!

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
dcadl, Welcome to the forum and top marks for first time entry and completing where you are in the world as well as your footer vehicle details.
No one, least of all Chevrolet, has offered any 'official' reasoning and the most likely cause is the 'satellite epoch event' as mentioned in earlier posts.
The only solution would seem to be using a stand alone satnav and I now take a small Tom Tom with me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Holden Australia have "assured" me that they are working on a solution to this problem. I hope for the trouble that they provide a free updated map to go with the fix as my 2015 Captiva has a map that would be no older than 2013.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Mamejay, At least you appear to have obtained a response which is more than can be said for those of us in Europe.
I certainly wouldnt hold my breath in anticipation of a solution and even less so in respect of Map update.
I've had exchange of communication with 'Here' the company responsible for the mapping provision and they confirmed to me that GM cancelled the contract with them to supply the mapping. The only option it would seem is to do as I have and purchase a stand alone satnav such as Garmin, Tom Tom etc

·
Registered
73 Posts
Holden Australia have "assured" me that they are working on a solution to this problem. I hope for the trouble that they provide a free updated map to go with the fix as my 2015 Captiva has a map that would be no older than 2013.

I feel sorry for the devs trying to go back in time and dev on WinCE.

That said I hope we see a fix, would like to see a map update too, feels wrong that they don't do them - if you include a satnav in the car systems I would argue it should be regularly updated as part of the service and after sales. There are one or two junctions where the misinformation is bordering on dangerous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Second hand Bargain

Hi, Have just read this thread with a sense of doom.

Bought the car a month ago second hand and didn't notice this issue till yesterday when used satnav properly for first time.

Am reluctant to try the patch if it is going to cause additional problems and doesn't solve the original issues. I might try backing up system files first.

Had an aftermarket Android system in my Pug 4007 that I sold to buy the Chevy. This was great and the satnav was much better. Might have to go down that route.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don`t know if we have any members with some legal knowledge, but aren`t Chevrolet legally bound to supply parts and service for at least 10 years after leaving the country? If so then can`t they be forced to sort out the gps problem or replace the units? Maybe it`s just wishful thinking on my part, I don`t have any legal knowledge, it`s just something i read. I don`t think they`d get away with it in the USA, there`d be a massive class action against them. Thanks, Howard.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Howard, The date change situation may not be of GM Chevrolets making. There has been comments about it being satellite and related.
The failure to provide up to date mapping is a different issue which I am pursuing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,
A reasonably recent update from Australian Holden Service (City Holden, Adelaide) "… the engineers are working on it and we will let you know when a fix comes through …" .

A very disappointing approach from GM, after the same problem is with so many customers for so long !

I expected more from them ….

RR

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
L-N,

I think this issue is a proverbial 'dead duck'.

Updating the time (which is this Topic) is rather pointless when the support for the entire European mapping is now withdrawn.
See my post 5th Feb 2019 where I mentioned that my discussions with 'Here' (the Mapping providers) confirmed that Chevrolet had cancelled the contract to provide mapping updates.

I dont know what is being done about our Far Eastern and Australian colleagues who still have more uptodate models of the Captiva but I suspect that they also will eventually be left with outdated systems now that GM Chevrolet have announced that the Captiva will cease production and be superseded by the revamped Equinox.

The solution it would seem is to purchase a stand alone Sat Nav. I have a small Tom Tom as well as a 7" Aguri in my motorhome (easily transferable between vehicles) which has a built in camera and can be 'programmed' for vehicle size, weight and other far more advanced capabilities than the Captiva unit ever had.
Link:- https://aguriworld.co.uk/ (other brands available).

I think this entire issue is rather like King Canute trying to hold back the tide! We will drown before Chevrolet ever do anything about it! :-(

Buy a new Sat Nav.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys hope all is well ? where do I start ok bare with me I'm a novice with GPS upgrading etc.... so I tried Aussie Eds way I wasn't successful so I downloaded the software if got my SD card in and now it seems to be frozen in this screen can anyone help me please
Sorry about the pic the sun is beaming

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Hi guys hope all is well ? where do I start ok bare with me I'm a novice with GPS upgrading etc.... so I tried Aussie Eds way I wasn't successful so I downloaded the software if got my SD card in and now it seems to be frozen in this screen can anyone help me please
Sorry about the pic the sun is beaming

Thanks

Hi Lady d-u,

I'm assuming you are in Australia from your intro description but you havent actually completed your World Sign-Up 'Location' which you've left blank. Go to Tools>Quicklinks>Edit Your Details (Location) and it will then appear in the left hand data pane.
Nor do you advise us the year/model/variant of your Captiva. (Basic helpful info).

I'm actually not sure when you say you tried 'Aussie Eds way' which post of mine you are referring to?
I've actually not attempted to change mine because someone experienced 'lock out' (sounds similar to your description) when they did it so I didnt want to kill the whole thing!

The most constructive post I think was from member Ches dated 18 Nov 2018.

The impression I had from previous posts by Australian Members (assuming you are in Australia) was that Holden had been giving good backup to Owners on this issue. Because GM Chevrolet 'pulled out' of UK/Europe sales & support in 2015 European owners thought this was only affecting our market but clearly GM's lack of support on the SatNav / multimedia issue is world wide.

Someone might have a suggestion how to solve your 'frozen' situation but apart from using the Owners Handbook reset recommendation I'm unable to help.

ps: I do hope you mean 'bear with me' because getting 'bare with you' just might be a bit too personal !! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello evrybody,

I found solution to this problem on Internet and it worked for me so I want to share it.

Download patch and instruction (manual) from this site:

http://www.visionjoy.co.kr/notice_e.html

Execute upgrade - it takes less than 1 min.
Hi, I tried this patch today and it has resolved the date/time problem on the sat nav screen (Captiva LTZ 2013/63 plate). Text appears in a slightly smaller font now but not an issue, just good to have the arrival time function, and time date visibility on the map screen, working again. Thanks Guan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I tried this patch today and it has resolved the date/time problem on the sat nav screen (Captiva LTZ 2013/63 plate). Text appears in a slightly smaller font now but not an issue, just good to have the arrival time function, and time date visibility on the map screen, working again. Thanks Guan.
This is original software developer for our multimedia/navigation.
But previous patch from 02.02.2016 did not worked.
Maybe this is new patch EU_SW Patch_GPS Date Time issue_Final_201918 will to fix the date issue.
I can check it today.
Thank you for probe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, new patch is working, the date is correct now.
But i can not enter to the win ce file system by pressing and holding touch screen on the right-down... I hear only ring "Beams" and see no answer from interface.
Please check it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had previously used this patch to fix the checking date issue a while back. For the last year or so the display screen has been showing random dates in the future, and not showing an estimated arrival time on the sat-nav. I have re-downloaded the patch as posted above by Guan http://www.visionjoy.co.kr/notice_e.html and re-upgraded today. It appears to have worked, and the system is now showing the correct date, and going into the Sat-Nav settings also shows the correct date. I will see how it behaves over the next few days, and will post an update if anything changes

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Can you enter to the win ce explorer now? By pressing and holding right/down eagle on the display.
I can not. And therefore i did back to the original software from 2013 year (APPs + OS downgrade).

Roltd,

You have raised an interesting observation. There were previous posts where the 'upgrade' basically killed the system. It was for this reason that I didnt attempt the patch. I'd rather have a workable screen (albeit out of date) rather than no workable screen at all.

I think it might depend which 'base system' the unit has programmed into it as to whether it works or not.

Member Scouse Mafia did provide a post (maybe two / two&half years ago) with the system codes.
Might be worth looking up via the Index Search function Tools>Advanced Search>(topic)>Captiva

81 - 100 of 137 Posts