Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the Forum picture of the Cruze Hatchback show it with LED running lights but they are not provided on the cars in the showrooms ? I expect the Cruze to eventually disappear from the UK market just like the Dodge Caliber due to hopeless marketing by Chevrolet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Chevrolet range is being positioned ready from GM for when they finally dump OPEL/VAUXHALL in europe, so that they can sell cheaply manufactured korean products and make a greater profit, that's the name of the game. All said and done, the epica, which was actually the last of the "daewoo" product line is a superior car to the vx insignia, and all said and done (again) it has turned out to be budget priced motoring in a largish car, and i still like largish cars! I don't like the new astra, seating, and although i like the styling of the cruze, i will wait until i have had a 500 mile test drive in one before i decide. As for the running lights on the cruze, they will soon be compulsory, but maybe the model is US one???
Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not agree with your analysis. I do not think GM will dump Vauxhall/Opel in favour of Daewoo produced cars. Chevrolet is a failure in the UK with too few cars sold especially the Cruze which has been slated by WHICH ? etc.. I have owned 42 cars and find the Cruze has the best roadholding albeit the ride is uncomfortable on rough London road AS far as I knowHatch is not available in the US. Tyre pressure monitor also becomes mandatory for new type approved cars from November 2012 but the idiots at Chevrolet will not introduce it on the Cruze because the car has already been type approved. They provide utterly useless annoying features like auto lights, rainsensing wipers but not useful safety ones. e.g. TPM, powered foldback door mirrors, compass, chilled drinks locker sensible dash that can be read in strong sunlight and when travelling fast, the instruments on the Cruze look great at night but can be useless during the day. The menu ssytem is awful should have separate trip that can not be seen when the inaccurate fuel display is on. However despite all its faults it is great value IMO.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Up to date, I agree Chevrolet have not sold enough cars to become more than a marginal player, but look at the catastrophic failure of the mg6, actually similiar to a cruze but £4000 more expensive although on paper better suspension and virtually no marketing effort. there are lots of cars out there that are overpriced and overmarketed too. although i am not yet sure my next car will be a chevrolet, it IS still under consideration, all they need to do to get me is to import the malibu, which is so far in advance of the epica, there is no relation, and the malibu is the same platform as the insignia, ( I have tried a malibu in the middle east, where i go 3 times a year) My brother in law is a car importer in the middle east and can supply me with a nice Roewe 750 2.5V6 for less than the list cost of a 1.8ltz cruze and i know which i would rather have, the downside is only the steering wheel being on the other side) At the end of the day, IN SPITE of my dealer problems and the warranty problems, (oil leak, mirror, mirror switch,aircon battery, immobiliser),i still like the car, and this is tempered by the actual purchase price of the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Until I read your posts I had never heard of an Epica. I feel it would be a very big mistake to import a LHD Roewe 750 2.5V6 irrespective of price. Warranty & Insurance issues etc. Just heard Chevrolet are discontinuing the current 2.0 litre Diesel engine in favour of a much lower power 1.7 only 130 bhp as against 163 , the new engine IMO is underpowered for the heavy Cruze . My existing Diesel 150 bhp is very good albeit poor mpg in City driving OTH around 30 mpg overall which is not too bad.

·
Registered
380 Posts
See how big the GM parts bin is, the new astra has the 1.3 vcdi engine as per the aveo, and the cruze will get the astra 1.7 engine, don't forget same platform, and i'm sure that one day the cruze will get the astra watts link suspension to wring a bit more life out of it. What's the betting we see a 1.7vcdi aveo mini suv sometime soon, Confused? all current or projected vauxhall cars, but better built and cheaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
the 1.7 diesel Cruze is 119 g/co2 = Free road tax first year, £30 after that.
Lots of people want cheap road tax, and good MPG.

The vast majority will prefer the cheap road tax against the loss of 30BHP, which they would not of used anyway!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I know, Best price so far with 3 yr service pack £15,974 -£8K trade in for my 2 yr old auto diesel 18000 miles saloon, Any better prices out there ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
And Who i might ask might well buy a low mileage short runs dpf diesel? take the money and run! (18000 miles in 2 years isn't enough for me!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Dealers have offered £8K. The Yellow light has only come on TWICE in Two years and soon goes out after a quick run up the motorway. I may keep my car for another year the worst depreciation occurs during the first two years and I still have one more FREE service. I am also waiting to see if there are any enhancements coming when the model year changes in June.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am disappointed with the CRUZE HATCHBACK poor design, has less boot space than the saloon / Sedan,High lip to load over, wing tip to wing tip greater than the saloon, does not look as good. however strangely cheaper, obviously they can not sell them as giving £3200 off list price. I can not understand why saloon cars are not fitted with a rear screen wiper ?.

·
Registered
380 Posts
For the design, That is a beauty of the eye of the beholder. Personally, traditionally I like the 3 box or cigar shape, the Rover 75 stretch was perfect for me, and as i wrote before, the logistics of owning a roewe 750 don't trouble me in the slightest. To follow on from that, there have been very few saloons with a rear wiper, as the airflow tends to keep the rear screen clear. The 2 box or hatchback is cheaper to manufacture and as a side effect is not as structurally rigid as a proper 2 or 4 door "saloon" shape. I also actually quite like the rear lights on the hatch, but don't forget it is basically a lower cost version of the astra, which i find far more attractive. and if you look carefully you can find 12 reg astras at daft prices too. i have seen a new chevrolet cruze hatch for £9340, not bad, and tempting, but the comfort of the epica is still pulling hard!Happy motoring ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting structural explanation , However I do not agree that the airflow tends to keep rear screen clear on a saloon. If you are into manual cars, I am not ,£9340 is a very good price for a Cruze Hatch. I like the acceleration from a turbo diesel auto and cheapest on the road I can find is £15625. Have you driven a Cruze and how do you find the ride, I find it poor but am prepared to overlook it because of the excellent roadholding, probably 16" wheels rather than 17" would be more comfortable.

·
Registered
380 Posts
DISBELIEVER, My neighbour (in jordan)has had a cruze 1.6ls aircon saloon, and i have driven it on the poor quality roads out there, and in one of the national parks with some nasty gradients and turnings. Rather pleased actually, and even under the middle eastern sun it is doing well, On top of which, there are now a few being used as taxis, and if it is good enough for a middle eastern taxi driver, it'll do fine for me. On the subject of your mileage, and given where you live, I am not sure that a diesel is actually the best choice for you, but you seem to be aware of the pitfalls, so continued happy motoring.
hatchbacks rarely have a structural brace between the tops of the suspension mountings in the boot.Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suggest you drive a Cruze with 17" wheels on our UK roads. The diesel has to be the best choice for me despite dong a lot of short runs from Edgware to centre of London etc, this is the only way to get a car with good acceleration and better mpg at a reasonable cost, the only reason why I am still considering the Chev Hatch 2.0 vcdi auto 163 bhp at £15,625. I f you know of a better alternative please advise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
why drag in HJ he recommends braking an auto with the left foot completely crazy IMO. However I find the insurance is very high on the Chevrolet so I am looking at other cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts