Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Has anyone of you is using a diesel tuning chip because Im planning to buy one for the purpose of improving my fuel consumption and extra power. Your kind response will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you are going to have anything done dont get one of the plug in tuning boxes they just fool the injectors into supplying more diesel. go for a proper remap on a 50/50 power/economy split. Just had mine done, felt I had nothing to lose the economy on my auto justrunning around was 20 to the gallon. its now showing 30mpg. OK I have been driving steady and its the cars trip computer giving me the readings but it was the cars computer giving me the 20 mpg readings before. It makes me think things where not right before, coming back from having it done I was on the motorway and getting 13-14 on the L/100mile before I could never do better than 18-19. Cost me £150 special january offer, normaly £200 also If there is any problems they have a rolling road that takes 4x4's to run everything in real time.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had a tuning box to try. Torque and powerdefinitelyup, economy down, driving like a nun. It's a simple equation, you get nowt for nowt. That said, it did reduce the consumption, but only on the trip computer, backing up big Al's point that it only fools the injectors.

Like big Al says, I would save my money and go for a remap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I considered both, and didnt bother with either in the end. I get average 31 mpg on a 2.0l D manual.

Only thing I would say though, is dont do either if your car is under a warranty, either manufacture or extended, as they will not pay out if you have a problem.

If not under a warranty, well its up to you.... but everyone I have talked to who has had remaps and the boxes, say it doesn't actually make much difference and if you actually work out the figures it can take year to pay back. But I'm sure others will disagree....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I'm new but I just want to add my two cents to the remap vs tuning box.A remap is far better than a tuning box if you get it done at the right place, a box just adjusts a few parameters in the ECU on top of the ECU software, where as a remap overwrites all the parameters to give the best possible outcome within the strength of the engine. Also they can write the map to exactly how you want and with any mods you may have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Big Al,
How much increase in insurance? On my old Rover 75 I had a Synergy2 box which only increased low down torque because with only 116bhpon tap I struggled when towing. Because there was no increase in bhp there wasn't any difference with insurance. If I'd fitted the Synergy1 box which boosted bhp the insurance would have been just under £100 more. The combinedcost of the box and insurancewould have made it uneconomical. The Synergy2 box, however,was great for towing and I did notice a slight saving on fuel costs. I bought a new heavier caravan and the Rover wouldn't have coped so that's why I bought the Captiva (although I was really looking for a Vauxhall Antara).

Alan

·
Registered
153 Posts
As stated before my car has been de-catted, had the dpf removed and has also been re-mapped. On a run my car gets over 45mpg (genuine) and over 60mpg (computer). I have actually had one run of over 40miles where the computer told me that I had averaged over 70mpg. (What a liar!). My car has fantastic performance for a Captiva, it must have about 210-220 bhp and excellent fuel consumption, it also tows my twin axle caravan with ease, and with it being a LTZ it has all the luxury that I require. I think that it is perfect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's my issue with tuning boxes.
I've just done a search on tinterweb and the prices vary from £99.00 all the way to £630.65.

That's amassive difference.

The BHP figures are much of a muchness suggesting between 194 and 211 bhp.

My head is in a shed so I think i'll stay standard for now. (Might get some DVD screens for the kids instead)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts