Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the motorway a few days ago and had a puncture. When I pulled in to the hard shoulder and put the space saving spare on, I noticed that the rear tyres are 235 55 R18, whereas the front are 235 50 R18. This must have been done by the previous owner, as I've only had the car since July. My car is a 2008 Captiva LTX 2.0ltr Diesel.

Could anyone tell me if having the different tyres front and back will affect the car at all ? I intend to get them all the same at some time, but as wondering why 50's would have been put on the front?

I managed to find a tyre center close to have I had the puncture and got a Bridgstone put on for £200 fitted!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wouldn't be happy driving with different size tyres front and back. I had different tread types front and back, when I changed them to all the same the improvement in handling and fuelusagewas significant.

Look at the various online come and fit at home/work tyre companies, event tyres / black circles / etc always found them to be cheaper... and fit what you want rather than what they have to sell.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wouldn't go as far as saying it was dangerous, but I would bet any money on an insurance company refusing to pay out on a claim for non spec tyres fitted.

Also it would make the speedo inaccurate. If you haven't had it long, I would be tempted to go back to the garage and make them out it right, as they shouldn't have sold it like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I want to get them all the same when I can, but not sure if the garage I bought the car from would be interested in helping. (might be worth a try though)

Which way would the speedo be reading? Faster or slower than I'm actually travelling?

On the subject of tyres, does anyone know if a full sized wheel and tyre would fit in the space where the space saver tyre is stored? (under the car)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Tyres smaller= more revs per mile, so the speedo reads under. The speedo on the captiva is already 4-5 mph slower than true speed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've been in contact with the garage I bought the car from (Colchester Motor Company, Cardiff), and they're not interested in the issue, saying it's got nothing to do with them ! Even though they replaced one of the front tyres before I picked the car up. (with a part worn tyre!)

I guess I'll just have to change them myself, when I can.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the space saver spare wheel, with a full sized alloy ? (will it fit?)

Edited by: Pete71

·
Registered
997 Posts
Pete71 said:
Well, I've been in contact with the garage I bought the car from (Colchester Motor Company, Cardiff), and they're not interested in the issue, saying it's got nothing to do with them ! Even though they replaced one of the front tyres before I picked the car up. (with a part worn tyre!)

I guess I'll just have to change them myself, when I can.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the space saver spare wheel, with a full sized alloy ? (will it fit?)
Yes I do, no it's not. The carrier is tight, even for the space saver. If you know someone that can weld, they could possibly make it fit, but an alloy under the car will corrode likecrazy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Pete71 said:

Well they should be... If I were you I would contact them again and tell them that it is their responsibility and selling a car with incorrect tyres is not just unethical but has a saftey impact. I would then tell them that if you dont have this fault corrected you will be contacting Trading Standards and (as I see you are in Wales) the Ferret. I would also follow that up and not just use it as idle threat.

I will be making note never to cross their forecourt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts