Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, apologies if this has been asked before, my only defense is being a newbie although I have not seen this thread so far.I was wondering how effective the digital tuning units are (i.e.similar to those offered by DTUK and others) in improving performance and mpg. I have the 150 2.0 Antara diesel. They claim up to 20% fuel improvement which I am very suspicious of but even a 10% increase may be worth the investment.

Any experience out there?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had a DTUK unit on my Captiva. produced the goods power wise. Economy was marginally worse. Similar results with a subsequent re-map and DPF removal. If it's economy you want, the only answer is to buy a smaller car IMHO. That said, you can have more power for no real loss, which is what i have. And boy does it shift!!

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Hi Spenc54, welcome to the forum. There is an existing topic in the archives which I and others contributed under the heading 'Tuning Boxes' dated 29 May to July which you may find useful.
A 20 % increase in mpg is extremely unlikely but may be possible with a particular vehicle fitted with the unit you mention.

My experience with the TDi Tuning box (Chelmsford)has beenfavourable. Depending on the journey a fuel improvement of 4-5 mpg is realistic and I have experiencedno less than original mpg. The edge has been in the responsiveness of the engine. In my case an irritating 'hesitancy' (or lag)on pull away has been eradicated. The model you mention looks a touch pricey but does include a connection to the turbo. TDi will give 5% discount to forum members.

Remember that your insurance company may hit you with increased premium.My insurer (Aviva) didnt after I presentedmy case. Tuning box may help especially if you pull caravan for example. Boxes are also normally removeable or temporarily disconnectablewhere as re-mapping or 'flashing' the ECU is a singular one off fix.

Dont buy one expecting mpg improvement but it just may be possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks biagiainw and Aussie Ed, I did not expect great fuel economy when I switched (didn't help that i was getting 50+ on the previous vehicle) as I wanted it for towing a caravan, just hoped it would be nearer the susposed 37 combined rather than the 29 I get. I will look at the TDI unit thanks - any point in taking it to my Vauxhall dealer to check the management system (suspect i know the answer)?Thanks again guys.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Could be worth asking your dealer if he has a re-map to suit pulling a caravan.
A dealer 'adjustment' would probably avoid insurance complications. I guess it is going to be research and then make a decision. If your sole objective is the mpg then probably dont bother; on the otherhand a wee bit more torque could be handy with the 'van. Keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts