1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Series 1.......belt
Series 2.......chain
I believe to be correct.
Ant_c Data is correct.

The replacement periods are shown in the owners handbook maintenance listings...... but dont go by mileage on the Series 1 (belt). Irrespective of mileage, belts deteriorate with age, therefore anything older than 8-9 years with a Series 1 variant is entering the 'risk zone'!

Interestingly - slightly connected with the 'belt' reference, my Series 2 went in for oil leak work recently and in the process it was identified that my auxillary belt had deteriorated and I had a damaged pulley (see pic) - only just over 30,000 miles / 7 years! So the auxiliary belt needs to be considered as a potentially replaceable item in respect of age.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Sorry not very technical minded.
How do I know if I have a series 1 or 2
Mine is 2013
The Series 1 and Series 2 were radically different both in body (nose) shape and mechanically.
I find it almost unbelievable that you own a vehicle without being aware of its Series/variant but hey dont be offended - I'll try and explain.

Series 1 was produced from 2006 to 2010 (note that some late sold Series 1 may be 2011 registered).

Series 2 was produced from about March 2011 (availability to different world markets varied slightly).
The Series 2 has a different body to Series 1 with changes to front bonnet / grill and rear sections, along with a completely different engine - hence the reason that Series 1 has a timing belt whereas the Series 2 has a timing chain - the engines are totally different.

Your 2013 is almost certainly a Series 2 (unless some dealer had a Series 1 squirrelled away for two years before selling it which is highly unlikely!)

To confuse you further, at some time in 2013 there were some other minor 'tweaks' mostly internal cosmetics, so you may have a 2013 Series 2 which is then sub defined as pre or post face lift.

Might be worth visiting a couple of vehicle websites with Captiva vehicles for sale so as to visually familiarise yourself with the two styles of Captiva.

It is because of variances that vehicles (not just Captiva) can have in their evolutionary lifetime (yet retain the same 'name') that it it vitally important for forum members to provide the fullest details of their vehicle so that the correct answers can be given that are applicable to the variant owned.
Some posts that says something like 'Hi I own a Captiva how do I fix xyz' without providing further detail makes the task of responding correctly so difficult. Hence the more we know the better the answer can be.

I hope this has helped you and clarified that it is pretty much 100% that you own a Series 2.

Reactions: gambity1957

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Adding to list
The series 1 3.2 V6 has a timing chain
A-Man, good additional note. You are quite correct that the larger powered engines do have chain.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Series 2 with a mid life face lift from approx June 2013. Giveaway identification is the rear led lights, compared to bulbs in the regular Series 2. Also the dashboard is different with the HD display in the later Series 2.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Interestingly - slightly connected with the 'belt' reference, my Series 2 went in for oil leak work recently and in the process it was identified that my auxillary belt had deteriorated and I had a damaged pulley (see pic) - only just over 30,000 miles / 7 years! So the auxiliary belt needs to be considered as a potentially replaceable item in respect of age.
My Aux Belt change in owners book for the 2.4 and 3.0 V6 petrol versions is 7 years / 70,000 miles whichever comes first. Hence it’s on my to do jobs list this year.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Series 2 with a mid life face lift from approx June 2013. Giveaway identification is the rear led lights, compared to bulbs in the regular Series 2. Also the dashboard is different with the HD display in the later Series 2.
Thanks S-M for that lamp cluster clarification. Somewhere about this time I think the Keyless entry was introduced and Stop-start ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts