Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wonder if anyone may have had a problem similar to mine, or possibly have a solution.

I have a Captiva 2.0 VCDi, 4 years old, in Spain. During the summer it was outdoors all day and not used. When I have come to use it a week ago, the battery was flat and u/s, so I got and fitted a new battery.

However, I now find that the doors will not open.

I can obviously open the drivers door using the key, and it also opens using the remote. However the other 3 doors will not open (the rear hatch is fine).

If I press 'unlock' on the key, or on the drivers door armrest, there is movement of the locks,(the locks turn slightly), but the doors will not open either from inside or outside.

This may be totally unrelated to the battery having gone flat over the summer, but is too co-incidental for my liking - does anyone know, is there anything special that has to bedone when replacing the battery?

Cheers,

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had a look in the manual- it doesn't describe the exact set of circumstances that you describe, however, it does point to 2 fuses- marked as below. I would have a look at them. Other than that it suggests using the scan tool to diagnose, so unless you have one of those, it's off to the dealer or a suitablyequippedindependent.
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td valign="middle" width="6%" align="center">4</td><td valign="top" width="49%">Is the LOCK/MIRROR fuse open?
</td><td valign="middle" width="15%" align="center">-
</td><td valign="bottom" width="15%" align="center">Go to Step 8
</td><td valign="bottom" width="15%" align="center">Go to Step 5
</td></tr><tr><td valign="middle" width="6%" align="center">5</td><td valign="top" width="49%">Is the DR LCK fuse open?
</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Only problem I have is that the manual I have is in spanish, so I'm not sure which fuses they are. I presume they're in the internal fusebox (front passenger central column). Would you happen to know which fuses they might be, and their ampage? (I have checked the 20 amp. CENTRAL LOCKING fuse which was OK, and the 15 amp CENTRAL LOCKING fuse wasn't there, so I've put one in). I can work out what some of the fuses are, but if you have any idea of the position of the ones you are talking about, it would be useful. (I know what I should do is go through all the fuses 1 by 1, but without being able to open the passenger door, they are not easy to get at, so an idea as to which to look at first would be a great help!!).

Cheers,

·
Registered
652 Posts
Richi said:
CENTRAL LOCKING fuse which was OK, and the 15 amp CENTRAL LOCKING fuse wasn't there, so I've put one in).

Well that confuses the **** out of me... How can it ever work if there wasnt a fuse there.

But, how can you say the CENTRAL LOCKING fuse was OK, and the 15 amp CENTRAL LOCKING fuse wasnt there.... How can it be OK but not there....

I'm off to bed....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry not to have replied - I've been away for a few days.
I can't understand either about the CENTRAL LOCKING fuses, only that there are twofuse slots which say CEN.LOC., one of 20amp and the other 15 amp, and the 15 amp slot had nothing in it.

Now that I've got a bit of time, I'm going to check each fuse individually - I'll let you know how I geton.

Cheers,

Richi

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found that I had a similar missing fuse issue with my LTZ. I was trying to figure out why the clock doesn't work and spotted it.

My clock only works on very cold days and then only for a short while. Also my rear doors wont unlock in low temperatures. Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

We are a Chevrolet dealer, WH Brand Ltd, and experience this all the time with Captiva's as we disconnect batteries on stock vehicles for security.
The easiest way around it is to connect the new/charged battery and then make sure all doors, bonnet, tailgate are closed. Then get both keys and press the locking button 4 times on each key (make sure you do both keys) followed by pressing the unlock button 4 times on each key. You should find all doors will be unlocked then.
It seems that after a flat or disconnected battery the keys and door locks get out od sync, but this always seems to sort it. On a very rare occasion I've had to do this twice but normally works first time.
Hope this gets you sorted.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Brilliant info Adam- thanks for sharing that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been away for a while & just got back to see the posts. BRILLIANT solution. I tried as you said (but only using one of the keys as the battery seems to be flat on the other), and ALL DOORS NOW OPENING.

Pity I didn't know about it before I went away, as there were 4 of us in the car. Still, gave something for the locals to laugh at, seeing everyone piling in through the drivers door!!

Once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the information, and if you're ever in the S.E. of Spain, I'll buy you a drink (or 2)!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may be a daft question but do Ipress oneone key 4 times tolock then unlock followed bythe other key or both keys at the same time? I just bought a Captiva at the weekend and am having trouble with the doors not unlocking..I've booked it into a main dealership on Thursday but am now hoping this will work!!
ps - do people recommend buying extended warranty for a Captiva, ours is 2012 (LTZ) and it is due to run out in January... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
TS, Welcome to forum. You question has me slightly puzzled as I'm not sure where the pressing four times is necessary. Your vehicle is same age as mine so I'm going to assume speci is the same.On my vehicle I press the left hand button once (on either fob) to unlock just the drivers door. If I need to open all doors I press the fob a second time. To Lock the vehicle I press the right hand button once for basic lock and then a second time to secure the dead lock function.

As a tip when I first had mine I was closing the doors and pressing the lock button too quickly which gave me false triggering of the alarm a few minutes later. When you exit and close all doors just wait 5-6 seconds for the on-board sensor to register that all areas are secure and then press the lock button.

If you havent got a handbook/manual you can download from here www.cheroleteurope.com (just follow the links ie UK>owners area>vehicle manuals>year model)

Oh, as a thought.... if the batteries are the originals they might be getting near end of life and might need changing.

Oops.. nearly forgot your second question. Extended Warranty .... I would, and have arranged mine to start January. Your choice of course but cost of repairing modern vehicles can be expensive.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
oops sorry- not explaining myself properly, I was replying to the followingpost, it was in response of someone whose passenger doors wasn't opening when pressing the key which is exactly what is happening to me, I press the key to open the car but only the driver's side door opens:
We are a Chevrolet dealer, WH Brand Ltd, and experience this all the time with Captiva's as we disconnect batteries on stock vehicles for security.
The easiest way around it is to connect the new/charged battery and then make sure all doors, bonnet, tailgate are closed. Then get both keys and press the locking button 4 times on each key (make sure you do both keys) followed by pressing the unlock button 4 times on each key. You should find all doors will be unlocked then.
It seems that after a flat or disconnected battery the keys and door locks get out od sync, but this always seems to sort it. On a very rare occasion I've had to do this twice but normally works first time.
Hope this gets you sorted.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is as designed...I think the blue text just confuses what you perceive to be an issue

One press opens the drivers door only. A second press (within a few seconds) opens all other doors and the tailgate. This is a 'security' feature so that if you open the drivers door no one can jump in through any other entry.

As long as your car opens all other doors on teh 2nd press then it is all working as designed.

I *hope* I understood your issue.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi thank you, yes you did understand my issue - thanks :) however the other 3 doors don't open on the second press, in fact the drivers side doesn't always open on the first press, I have to sometimes manually unlock it! thank you for replying

·
Registered
406 Posts
STEMO said:
A severe case of answering the last post without reading the whole thread.
Well...when that 'last post' is a clarification and the rest of the thread 2yrs old...and my post answered the clarification and was based on that premise....and explained that...

I suppose it was a severe case of that
tough crowd

Edited by: T5NEL

·
Registered
406 Posts
tsljan29 said:
hi thank you, yes you did understand my issue - thanks :) however the other 3 doors don't open on the second press, in fact the drivers side doesn't always open on the first press, I have to sometimes manually unlock it! thank you for replying

I think it is definitely worth changing the battery first (if you have not done this yet)...after that move on to the more advanced diagnosis.

Tim

·
Registered
306 Posts
T5NEL said:
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
STEMO said:
A severe case of answering the last post without reading the whole thread.
</span>

Well...when that 'last post' is a clarification and the rest of the thread 2yrs old...and my post answered the clarification and was based on that premise....and explained that...

I suppose it was a severe case of that 
 tough crowd
I might not have been referring to you

But I might.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts