Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am a newbie to the Chevrolet Captiva Forum but have had my '11 plate Captiva 2.0L Diesel LS for about a year now and all in all, I am pretty pleased with it.

Over the last year the DPF light has come on a few times - this has been easily sorted by doing the usual 10min motorway journey to re-generate. Recently however, I did a 90mile motorway trip - pretty much non-stop, the car then sat in the baking sunshine all day (Scotland, strange I know). When we started our journey home, the DPF & MIL light came on together. I was confused why the DPF was onhaving done such an un-interrupted journey earlier in the day, however the DPF light went off, after about 20mins or so. The MIL however stayed on for the next 48hrs, but then went off and has remained off since?

Firstly - has anyone had a similar problem & does this sound unusual?

Typically the dealer was very unconcerned and advised they would charge me £40 for the priviledge of looking at it..........
I politely declined.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Hi Doug, Welcome to forum. The DPF 'collects' the rubbish that would otherwise go out end of exhaust. The fact you had just done a good journey doesnt in itself burn off what was 'collected'. Obviously the 'sensor' decided that it was time for a DPF burn when you next started. I am sure our ex motor trade forum members will elaborate / explain in more detail ifI've got it wrong.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Doug

Aussie Ed is correct, sometimes to burn the rubbish off you need higher revs ie above 2500 and unless yours is different even on the motorway you may not be doing that.

Gald you are enjoying it .

Regards

·
Registered
476 Posts
In theory you should not require to active regenerate after a good run you should be passive regenerating, also if it was in addition a hot day the management light would probably come on because the sensors would pick up overheat, it would turn off when it cooled and settled down. Have been having filter problems myself can not help it when you do a lot of short runs, the captiva is especially bad for it because thedpf is a long way from the engine and the gasses tend to be cooler. Doug b watch your oil change light and oil level increasing, I had been regenerating that much in winter the level was well up on the stick and the change engine oil light came on after only doing 2,000 miles after service. Looking into going down your rout Ian through necessity, there's a firm in Sheffield that cuts open the dpf removes the honeycomb andwelds itback together so everything looks original and saves making a jumper pipe, Then does the tricky bit of reprogramming to remove the filter off the scene.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone know how long it takes on average before first regeneration of the DPF on a new Captiva? It might be a dumb question because I realise that it depends on the type of journeys I am doing, but does the thing clog up in weeks months or years, and when it does and regeneration takes place does it become an intermittent recurring thing from then on until you have the thing replaced or removed?
I've had my Captiva for 6 months and do quite a bit of urban driving but the dpf indicator light has not come on yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Jonnybgood, Mine did first regen at less than 500 miles (took me by surprise - burning paint & rubber smell - thought it was going to be fire brigade job!!
) I guess it was getting rid of manufacturing rubbish in the system. Second regen atjust over 2,000 miles (not smelly).
When your regen starts try to avoid stopping. Go into manual (it you are Auto) and drop gear or two to keep revs over 2000rpm. Regen will take about 20 mins.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aussie Ed, did the orange dpf indicator light come on before regeneration took place? I've not expereienced the smells up to now even though i do quite a few shortish journeys so I guess regeneration hasn't taken place, i'm not sure.
I presume that the dealership can plug in their diagnostic machine and tell exactly when each regeneration has taken place.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I never seamed to have too much trouble could tell it was regenerating occasionally, tick-over slightly up, and fans running and mpg dropped on computer. Done 35,000 miles this February started regenerating regularly, in march had service, reset service lights, from then on seamed to be regenerating nearly every other day. Only had one occasion of the blocked filter light coming on. Then the change oil light came on checked the dipstick and the level was well up with diesel contamination so changed oil again.Put different makes of additives into diesel supposed to drop the burn offtemp of the soot particles. Blasted it down the motorway at 120 in forth, put the caravan on the back took it over the pennies to wales giving it some right pasty, then after some more hard running the f----ng thing is still regenerating, don't know if its got that blocked it can not fully regenerate. So a removal is cheaper than a replacementand with my short runs it will only happen again so looking into a removal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Big Al, for your dpf/regeneration problems, This is the advice given to me by a sympathetic Chevrolet master techie with 15 years experience. " If you have what appear to be a series of unsuccessful regenerations you can bring the car in and we will do a forced regeneration". This is where the dealer will program the ecu to do a forced regeneration, USUALLY on the concrete hardstanding outside the workshop as this will involve very high exhaust temperatures while the car is stationary.
As this will also involve higher continued revs with no load on the engine please be sure your oil is ok and your cam-belt too. (last comments mine)
I am not sure how much they charge, but worth finding out I would think. I'll try to get a price tomorrow and let you know.

Vag charge about £100 and on their engines can allegedly only be done once! (that's it next one definitely a petrol for me)

Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
476 Posts
Was thinking about taking it to dealers about this other fault I keep getting [groaning noise] so will ask about regenerating at same time. Only thing I can not uselocal dealer after the con they did with my servicing [or should I say not servicing]. so will book it in at Perrys 15 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Jonnybgood, Yes regen light came up (just off top centre of panel). I didnt see it first time as I hadnt had time to evaluate what all the lights represented!! Certainly saw it second time.
I see that BigAl and Oldroverboy have offered suggestions also. Think it worth keeping eye on.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
It seems that some of you get the warning light and some don't, is that a difference between new and old Captivas?
I was thinking that with the type of driving I do, it would have regenerated by now, but then again I thought maybe its more of an issue when the car gets older. The only issue with fan coming on unexpectedly waswhen I had switched off ignition and the cooling fan went into launch mode after about ten seconds. That has happened about four or five times over the six months and I have thought DPF regeneration, but dealership said no.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My blocked filterlight hasonly came on the once in four years, and my fans do come on when regenerating slight increase in revs exhaust gases red hot.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am not entirely sure of this, but.
If you don't get the warning light, it regenerates passively when conditions are right, (revs/temp/etc) If you DO get the warning light help the engine along by following previous suggested steps, ie drop a gear, increase revs, continue your journey. I had the dpf light come on once in the beginning and carried on driving till it went out. as i was on anA road i dropped into 3rd to help it on it's way. That was when i first had the car, and no problems since (touch wood)!

·
Registered
476 Posts
<div id="post_message_3157633">Unless it was absolutely roasting outside odds
there was a dpf regen in progress. The fans kick in to keep the engine bay from
overheating. Watch for the idle being near 1k rpm before you shut down as thats
the sure sign a regen is going on. [taken off the internet].

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am not entirely sure also, but passive happens all the time if the conditions are right as you say rover, active is when the injectors supply diesel on the exhaust stroke of which you get no illuminated warning, when the light comes on is when things are getting seriously blocked and the active regeneration keeps getting aborted [switching off engine] so requires a fast run to help the active regenerating do its job.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I did 27000 miles before removing my DPF and it never put the light on once and therefore only ever passively regened as far as I am aware, but then my usual commute was 20 miles on motorway. (I had it removed for performance/economy (which turned out not to make any difference in real terms) and prevention of future problems).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Doug, more concerned that your DPF & MIL lit at the same time.

Mine did this ages back, and because the MIL was lit the DPF would not regenerate, although Chevrolet denied this.

Anyway, you need to get the MIL code checked out. The code I had was erroneous, as the real fault was a short in the wiring loom which was sending incorrect signals about the throtle. Was out of warranty at the time, so was going to a garage I trust, but they could not find the problem and Chevolet customer services would not discuss the code. In the end I had to go to a dealer, who diagnosed the problem in minutes, but funily enough took ALL day to fix, at a stupid hourly labour rate.

This fixed the MIL code and DPF regenerated no problem. Not had a regeneration since.

Annoyingly, after searching on line I found that the fault is a known fault to hit many Captivas, and is more widely acknowledged by the Australian version the Holden Captiva, which is exactly the same car. Only in Aus, it is an accepted fault and fixed free. Tried to get a refund but Chevy UK wont have anything to do with it. Strange the

dealer could find the fault in no time at all, especially as the MIL code had nothing to do with it.....A fault Chevy keeping secret I think.....

Posted all my woe on here under a thread called P0201E (think that was the code).

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts