Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my fuel gauge, jumping around all over the place especially when I have over half a tank, can anyone tell me whether this would cause the automatic regen of the DPF to not happen if the system thinks because of my dodgy fuel gauge i dont have much fuel ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
As I understand it, the ECU will not allow a DPF regen to take place if the Low Fuel warning light is on. You won't find it written down anywhere specifically for the Captiva or the Antara but it's something I've gathered from discussions and it certainly makes sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, so from the sounds of it, I need to get the petrol gauge repaired to make sure the DPF does its regen ?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Chevyguy,
The problem might not be the gauge as such but the 'sender' in the fuel tank.
I recall there have been previous posts on similar topic and I believe in one instance it was a defective earth connection near the top to the sender which was making and breaking contact hence the irregular gauge behavior.
The Forum Search function will assist you in locating these discussions. Go to three white dots in the black header bar top right and select Advanced Search. Follow the guidance (you can omit posters name) and try two or three different topic 'words' to bring up posts.
If you are concerned about lack of regeneration on DPF taking you into possible 'limp home mode' you might have to get your dealer to give the vehicle a forced regeneration.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Chevyguy,
I've done a quick check back on the fuel sender situation and there are numerous existing titles one of which you have already posted. I am still of the opinion that the first area of approach is the earth.
I'll add no further here because I think the existing topic titles should be pursued to avoid drifting off topic here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chevyguy,
I've done a quick check back on the fuel sender situation and there are numerous existing titles one of which you have already posted. I am still of the opinion that the first area of approach is the earth.
I'll add no further here because I think the existing topic titles should be pursued to avoid drifting off topic here.
Ok thanks Ed, I know it could be an earth issue or the sender which im told if it is, change both senders at the same time even if its just one, I am hesitant about this because of the access to the tank, I am told by someone at the local Vauxhall dealers who drives an Antara that access is through the floor which is ok, but if it entails removing everything underneath and dropping the tank, the labour charge could be prohibitive plus my exhaust has never been changed or moved and potentially could break making the job even more expensive, surely sorting out a fuel sender issue shouldn't be such a big job.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
My understanding is that the sender and other 'operational' components are accessible via the rear floor and does not involve dropping any other body or exhaust sections (unless for some reason the tank(s) need to be replaced if damaged which sounds unlikely). In one of the many previous posts there was a photo or two showing the access and wiring to the fuel sender etc. It is possible that the more recent restructuring of the forum operational system has resulted in past photo data not being possible to transfer and may now only appear as 'hieroglyphics' and not physical picture which is a shame. At least accessing and checking the terminals, connector and earth wiring is possible via the floor access panel. Note: I believe that on very early models there was only a single tank which later became a saddle tank. I have no way of knowing which applies to your model.

This discussion is now seriously off captioned Topic (which is 'DPF Regen') and my suggestion is that you access the rear section and post your findings in an existing Topic Title covering Fuel Tank issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks Ed, will do as you suggest, by the way its a saddle back tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts