Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to the garage in the morning to get the DPF removed and the engine remapped to suit. I'll report back and let you know how it goes!

Wish me luck!

Iain

·
Registered
226 Posts
i wish you luck......

and keep us informed of what the actual gains of doing the above are!

so then i can decide to go down the same route.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well then...

Got the car done yesterday, took a couple of hours in total.

First the DPF was removed by the chaps at Elite Exhausts in Ayr (http://elitecustomexhausts.com)
They fabricated the replacement pipe while I waited and having seen them at work, when the car needs the rest of the exhaust replaced, that's where I'll be going. Start to finish 55 min and it looks like an OEM part.

Next the ecu remap to remove the EGR/DPF processes and massage the power delivery maps. Quick test drive and payment and then off home, in just over 2 hours.

The results- A very docile and drivable solution, with bags of power right through the rev range. It feels completely standard until provoked, when it goes like a scalded cat. Midrange acceleration is particularly impressive and much smoother than before. The car is also quieter overall, particularly from outside.

And now the purpose of it all- fuel consumption. Prior to the change it was showing an average of 16.1 l/100 miles, which equates to 28.3mpg, which compares with my calculated brim to brim average of 28.7 mpg. Now showing 12.5l/100 miles or 36.5 mpg. The technician advised that this will get better as the days pass and the ecu relearns my driving style- and I get past using the acceleration just as much!

I'll post again when I complete my first brim to brim in it's new configuration. If anyone wan't the contact details for the people I used for this, just PM me.

PS- Anyone want to buy a good, used DPF for a 2008 2.0D? One careful owner

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad to hear it's good news so far, sounds like you're enjoying the benefits so far!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easily- the only test at MOT is a smoke test, the possession or otherwise of a DPF is neither here nor there.

Iain

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The company I used, Angel Tuning are based in Banbury and have a mobile service too. I'd check them out- they've been great with me.

Iain

·
Registered
652 Posts
BurgessG said:
Anybody in Sussex / Brighton who could do this for me?

Just Google "DPF removal" and you will find loads of garages offering this service.

Find those closer to you, and then CHECK THEM OUT... as some will be rip off merchants. Find out what they do and how they do it. Ask about ECU remaps, because if they dont remap the ECU after removing the DPF the cars computer will issue no end of errors and you will have problems.

Try and get references from them....

Make sure they do a "smoke" test afterwards, the same one as done in an MOT.

I've decided to leave my DPF in place, but if I get problems with regeneration again, I'm going to get shot of the DPF...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have kept hold of my CAT and DPF just in case, I will also put my car in for a summer MOT instead of a January one. That way, if it fails I can put the CAT back in the warmth (hopefully) rather than in a cold Scottish winter. However that will not be until summer 2013!

·
Registered
652 Posts
If it fails it wont be because of the DPF, as that is not part of the MOT exhaust tests.

From what I have seen on the internet, the biggest cause of failure with DPF removals is the incorrect mapping of the ECU, as most companies during the remap, simply remove the DPF flags in the ECU mapping. As an IT consultant (ex S/W developer) I can tell you that removing code is always more difficult than making s/w changes. You have to check all paths and settings. For example.... (and this is only an example, what I would call Psuedo code, to try and explain).

If the flag DPF_Setting is removed from thefile (as they do), but the ECU on start-up (ie. switchingon the ignition) does a check like...

if DPF_Setting.ErrorCode= TRUE then ECU := LimpMode

Then you risk the car being put into Limp Mode simply because it cant find the setting for the DPF flag, as it has been removed.

Now, a very simple example above, but what I'm trying to say, is ensure that the "guy" you get to remove the DPF is not chosen because he's the cheapest, but is chosen because of his experience and expertise in this area and understands that he has to remap the ECU after carefully analysing the changes that needs to be made. Not by taking a sledgehammer programm that simply deletes all references to the DPF flag. Doing the later will just store up problems for you.

·
Registered
652 Posts
... I should have said...

As an IT consultant, and knowing how complex the s/w is now on cars ECU, is the reason why I'm in no rush to get my DPF removed. I have no doubt that any mechanic can physically remove it and do a good job at the mechanical bits, but I have less confidence in the s/w corrections they will make.

If I have regeneration issues, I will probably go down this route, but as I dont I dont see the point ofrisking bads/w changes to my ECU.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did have a troublesome pseudo code following my remap which put the MIL on ( but not the car into limp mode), but Paul the chap from Angel in Scotland came back out, diagnosed it and then had a piece of code tailored to it. Result- no more MIL. There is no smoke issue either, even when you give it a bootful! And boy can it shift...

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts