Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now fed up with my car regenerating every other week, and having to get an oil change at 1400 miles. I have now decided to remove the DPF, as I know it, combined with short journeys is the source of the problem. Has anyone had this done? I know that the car will have to be remapped when the DPF is removed. I will get a stainless steelexhaust manufacturer that I know to make a replacement pipe, and a company which I have used before to remap it. I will tell my insurance that I have reworked the exhaust, plus I will keep the original part for when I have to re-seel the car.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Oh, you know a stainless exhaust maker- that might prove useful...
Regarding the regeneration, because I have a 25 mile commute to work on the motorway, I don't think my Captiva has ever regenerated! How do you know?

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to say that I have not had any regeneration problems either, and I only live 3 miles from my work so the car only does 30 miles a week in work related short journeys, but I do most of my mileage over the weekend (130 to 200 miles per week). The DPF light came on when I first got the car and has not been on since and that has now been 4 months.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We work from home but the kids school is half an hour away, over the foothills of our littlelocal mountain, 4 times a day. We bought the car with about 9000km on the clock and the DPF light came on briefly on my way up the mountain road shortly after we bought it but nothing since during the lasy couple of months. How do you know whenit's regenerating?

·
Registered
226 Posts
a flashing icon on the dashboard shows when the dpf is in action, i do short journeys, and mine comes on about once every three weeks!!..in fact i even know when its about to come on, as the engine runs hotter, so i can actually smell the burning smell before the dash board warning light comes on!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apart from the warning light and burning smell you will also know,by the increase in fuel consumption, I frequently reset the mpg gauge and see how my fuel averages on a particular run.PS. I know that the gauge is not that accurate. On one occasion I had the malfunction light come on, however it went out on its own accord. I have been informed that my fuel consumption will drop. I know that when I had my Evo de-catted the fuel consumption improved from 20 to 24 mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine has regenerated once in about 5000 miles (about 6 months). A quick burst on the motorway did the job. Fuel consumption dropped quite a bit when the light came on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cheers! Evo, why do you have to change the oil so much? is it due to fuel contaminating the oil during the re-gen?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speedy
I have been told that diesel it used to clean the DPF, hence the poor fuel consumption, excess diesel is then fed back into the sump, this contaminates the sump oil. The oil change warning light comes on telling you that the car needs an oil change. If you dip the oil, it is extremely dark, and high (over the full mark). A neighbour of mine who works for Mondial breakdown told me that there have been instances of engines blowing up due to the high oil level. At least the Captiva has warning lights to tell you about regeneration and poor oil quality.

Evo 370

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, I'll keep an eye on that! Mind you, as we do a lot of mileage, regenerating probably won't occur too often. Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,just joined the forum today......looking at your post,I have the same problem with my Captiva DPF.I have a caravan and stay there most week-ends.I do some short journeys over the week-ends and get the DPF warning lamp coming up.Does anyone know if an additive such as Redex can be added to the fuel to help clean this or is it a case of driving at 50mph for approx. 15mins,the only way for this to regenerate its self.As some posts have stated,you know when it's about to happen,as the engine gets hotter,and the cooling fans cut in as well as the smell you get.
Any help appreciated.
Taffy form South Wales

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Epica regenerates about once every 1000 miles, the DPF warning light doesn't come on (it does light up with the ignition on prior to starting so i know it is operational) but the car does increase its tickover to about 950-1000rpm and the fuel consumption increases quickly from circa 10l/100m to 12l/100m.
If I'm nearing my journey home or if i happen to have parked up I just give the car an extra 10 mins or so on the country roads near where I live at a speed of 50 -60mph. Job done.
To be honest it would be a pain if you live in the city or work in the city where you could be stuck in slow moving traffic as I understand a regen is most effective at higher engine revs -i.e when the car is travelling at reasonable constant speed.
I also understand DPF's are not fitted to smaller diesel engines as its not really seen as a benefit where BHP is under 120. It might be worth considering when I sell my Epica next year as I personally could see DPF's failing as cars age and overall mileages increase therefore I may look at a vehicle without a DPF such as Renault DCi's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
evo 370 said:
Speedy
I have been told that diesel it used to clean the DPF, hence the poor fuel consumption, excess diesel is then fed back into the sump, this contaminates the sump oil. The oil change warning light comes on telling you that the car needs an oil change. If you dip the oil, it is extremely dark, and high (over the full mark). A neighbour of mine who works for Mondial breakdown told me that there have been instances of engines blowing up due to the high oil level. At least the Captiva has warning lights to tell you about regeneration and poor oil quality.

Evo 370

I've got a problem with the oil change light on my car and I've been doing some research on the oil life system. It's nowhere as sophisticated as you might think. This is taken from the GM technical site ...

"Briefly, the Oil Life System is programmed with a certain number of engine revolutions. As the engine runs, this number is reduced until it reaches zero, and the Oil Life light or message comes on. But there's more. Operating the engine under low or high temperatures, and under high load conditions subtracts (penalizes) extra revolutions, so the light comes on sooner."

·
Registered
72 Posts
TAFFY said:
hi,just joined the forum today......looking at your post,I have the same problem with my Captiva DPF.I have a caravan and stay there most week-ends.I do some short journeys over the week-ends and get the DPF warning lamp coming up.Does anyone know if an additive such as Redex can be added to the fuel to help clean this or is it a case of driving at 50mph for approx. 15mins,the only way for this to regenerate its self.As some posts have stated,you know when it's about to happen,as the engine gets hotter,and the cooling fans cut in as well as the smell you get.
Any help appreciated.
Taffy form South Wales<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->
Hi all, my DPF Light seems to come on loads, every couple of months, it is really annoying! It came on again today (Jan 7th) had to run the car for over 30 mins, revving the guts out of it. Surely this is not right???

Can you remove the DPF? is it costly? and also like TAFFY will a diesel/engine cleaner like REDEX help?

Please help very frustrated Captiva owner with DPF PROBLEMS!!!!

Cheers guys Dave

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi all, my DPF Light seems to come on loads, every couple of months, it is really annoying! It came on again today (Jan 7th) had to run the car for over 30 mins, revving the guts out of it. Surely this is not right???

Can you remove the DPF? is it costly? and also like TAFFY will a diesel/engine cleaner like REDEX help?

Please help very frustrated Captiva owner with DPF PROBLEMS!!!!

Cheers guys Dave[/QUOTE]

Also tow a caravan now and again, but the DPF was continually regenerating. The wear and tear that has on the engine plus reducing the oil life and quality and lowering the mpg. I bit the bullet and had the inners of the DPF removed so underneath it still looks original they also removed the EGR valve because they also cause nothing but problems and finally it was remapped. Never looked back that was two years ago, the car is a lot quicker, cleaner and no headaches !!!!![tried additives waste of time and money]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts