Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,well i am really pleased with my capty, had it a year now, and all ok....

but, i cant work this out...

at weekends i go to north wales from manchester, driving at 78mph on the motorway/dual carriageway
keeping my revs at just below 3000rpm, hopeing i can stop the turbo being used and saving money!!!!

which gives me an average fuel useage of about 35mpg..

but then, i drive a short distance to work, about three miles,park for the day, then drive home, but after about two miles the cooling fan starts up, and then the dpf filter warning light illuminates!!!!

how can that be right, after driving nearly 300 miles, i park up over night, then within 6 miles, the dpf process starts !!!!!!!

any ideas???

thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
The turbo doesn't "stop", it's only boosting constantly. The turbo doesn't use fuel, it's the right foot and the throttle opening (and some other factors) and therefore the amount of fuel in the mix going into the engine that determines your fuel consumption. Above 2000 rpm, the turbo is "spooled up", and is therefore turning regardless of the rpm above that limit. The only way you use more fuel is if you plant your right foot! At a constant throttle position in any gear, the fuel consumption for the given throttle opening, gearing and load on the flat should be roughly the same. Introduce more weight, a gradient, more throttle, a head wind, anything in fact that needs more fuel fro the same speed and your consumption will rise.
As for the dfp regen thing, I have no idea. I've never seen a regen in 11 months of ownership, my 25 mile commute seems to negate that, The consensus seems to be that short journeys where the engine does not thoroughly heat through (and perhaps more telling, the cat doesn't get to its optimum operating temp) is the root cause, although I'm sure driving style, trafficetc will have a part to play too.

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same thing happened to me . I drove from brighton to cardiff return and done 400 miles. Park the car for a few a days and drive off and after 3 miles the DPF and the engine management indicator illuminates. It doesnt make sense at all because as far as I understand, the DPF will go off if you are doing short distances most of the times. I dont know what is the problem but this needs to be sorted out ASAP. Just a shame were going to Isle of Wight this coming tuesday and have to use my wifes fiesta instead. Where will I put all the staff?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts