Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have Captiva LS 2.0 Diesel, manual.I have 10000km until now.
Several times I have noticed that when I stop to trafick lights orwhatever the nuber of rpm is increasing from 750 to 950nm. Engine is noisy and outside the wehicle there is smell of burned.
If I press the gas pedal and prm goesto 1500nm and quickly relese, then rpm comes back to normal.
But after next stop ( engine is running) again the rpm is going up to 950nm.
This is happeningfor 30 minutes( maybe less). If I tur of the car it comes again.
Untill Iam experiencing RPM increasment - DPF light is notcomming on.
So my question here is am i experiencingDPF process without turned light?
It happen several times until now. DPF has never turned on!
Has anyone experience the same or know what is causing increasment of RPM?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ours seems to do that sometimes too, I assumed it was to do with the DPF. I used to notice a bit of a burning smell but that seems to have stopped now. We've done about 25k km. Do you do some longer journeys in your car?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been to vacation and spend 1000km journey. But everyday we have 30km roadmap in city trafick

·
Registered
82 Posts
It seems to me some of you Captiva owners ought to get themselves an Orlando.

On a more serious note I too have smelled on occasions something resembling a burning smell, I assumed it was the newness of the thing and will wear off.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've not really noticed the rpm drop, but saying that my idle is around 800rpm, which is normal (I think)....

As for burning, have noticed that several times myself. Like others not really though a great deal about it as it disapears, and also thought it to be DPF or something....

However, I do have a DPF / MIL (P02E1) problem at the moment which I have had for a loooooong time. Garage is having problem solving it, and the car's been in and out. Not going into details here, as I have done on several other threads.

Personally, I'm starting to think that this DPF regeneration is flawed on the Captiva.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter... Stops the nasty Diesel Particles escapiong in the exhuast and poluting the atmospher. Trouble is it soots up, so the Captiva (like other Diesels) deals with this by sensing when this build up of soot happens and regenerates some of the unburnt gases to build up heat in the exhaust system and burn off the soot. When this happens the DPF light will flash on the dashboard, which is a normal process and the advice is to run the car for about 15 mins at 50mph. It should then go out..... Problem is mine isnt and I think it is conflicting with this bloody P02E1 code I've got.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
K.L.Richards I was only joking, due to regeneration happenning every other week, and as the diesel which is used to burn off and clean the DPF being dumped back into my sump, I had the DPF and Cat removed. The car runs perfectly, however I have kept the offending items just incase the MOTrules are changed retrospectively. My fuel consumption has dropped by about 25%, the total cost of this including remapping about £360. Money well spent. It now makes sense to drive a diesel over short distances. Not only do I save on fuel costs I will also money on not having to get extra oil changes.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hey evo,
have you done a brim to brim for comparison of before and after consumption. £360 seems a comparatively small amount if you intend to keep the car for any length of time and the loss of any worry must be a big factor too. I know you had the cat replacement pipe custom made but what else did you have to do to make it all work. I could be tempted...
Iain

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry Iain it is only based on what the "computer" tells me. Before the removal it was showing around 35mpg now its about 45mpg average. I know that the device is not very accurate, therefore I do not think that I am getting 45mpg but the percentage increase is signiicant. I also have say that my car was given an Angeltune remap when it was new that was £275. I have not had my car on a rolling road hewever with all the mods it must be putting out just over 200bhp. I know that it has excellent performance, its accelleration is rapid even at 70mph, and would have an excellent top speed in Germany! Unfortunately as I stay in Scotland I cannot admit to that! Angeltuning come to your house or as I got them to go to Stainless Creations in Falkirk to do the second remap after the DPF removal. Both companies seem to be run by decent lads!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just to add I tend to do short trips however I am taking my caravan down to Blackpool this month I will then calculate out an accurate top of tank towing mpg.
Evo.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My car was in having the P02E1 code fixed today (broken electrical cable caused all my troubles). I asked if this would fix the DPF and told they werent related. I suspect this, but the DPF is off, so what can I say for now....

However, I told them the DPF had been on for over 2000 miles, and I was told that I had to run the car at about 50 mph for 15 mins. Was told I was probably switching the engine off before the regeneration had completed. I repeated it had beenon for over 2000 miles... I was then told the engine must be at between 2000-2500 rpms duirng this time to get the correct temparature. Again I said several hunders of those miles where done along the M4 between South Wales and Reading at 70mph. That's why then, I was told (this is a corker), I was told that the car wont be doing 2000 rpms at 70mph. After picking myself up at the though a service manager, doesnt think that the captiva does 2000rpm at 70 mph, I correcte him that it would be at least 3000rpm. The come back was that's why then. Uh!!! He added the car must run at 2000-2500 rpm as that is the tolerance. I said this wasnt in the hand book. He shrugged, and said that's what you have to do....

So he believes the DPF being on for excess of 2000 miles on a car that has only done 40k miles is acceptable..... Just waiting for it to come back on and I'm going to attatch a pipe to the exhaust pipe and put the end through his office winder. Then religously going to get the car to 2000-2500 rpm for the prescribed 15 mins....

Ok, my DPF is off again now, and now my engine code has been fixed, I hope it stays off for a while, but if anyone has the DPF on, humour me and run your car at 2000rpm for 15mins will you, and let me know how you get on.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi All

My DPF light started to flash over the weekend, the first time since I have had the car in 11 months. Have been doing some round town stuff lately, so decided to give it a thrash down the A45. As I weaved my way out of town to get to the A45 the light went off. Yippee!

So either I have fixed it or the bulb has blown.

Did not notice any loss of performance, but I did notice afaint smell - reminded me of the way electricalinsulation smells when it is breaking down.
The A45 trip was done though, just to be sure.............!

·
Registered
227 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
My car was in having the P02E1 code fixed today (broken electrical cable caused all my troubles). I asked if this would fix the DPF and told they werent related. I suspect this, but the DPF is off, so what can I say for now....

However, I told them the DPF had been on for over 2000 miles, and I was told that I had to run the car at about 50 mph for 15 mins. Was told I was probably switching the engine off before the regeneration had completed. I repeated it had beenon for over 2000 miles... I was then told the engine must be at between 2000-2500 rpms duirng this time to get the correct temparature. Again I said several hunders of those miles where done along the M4 between South Wales and Reading at 70mph. That's why then, I was told (this is a corker), I was told that the car wont be doing 2000 rpms at 70mph. After picking myself up at the though a service manager, doesnt think that the captiva does 2000rpm at 70 mph, I correcte him that it would be at least 3000rpm. The come back was that's why then. Uh!!! He added the car must run at 2000-2500 rpm as that is the tolerance. I said this wasnt in the hand book. He shrugged, and said that's what you have to do....

So he believes the DPF being on for excess of 2000 miles on a car that has only done 40k miles is acceptable..... Just waiting for it to come back on and I'm going to attatch a pipe to the exhaust pipe and put the end through his office winder. Then religously going to get the car to 2000-2500 rpm for the prescribed 15 mins....

Ok, my DPF is off again now, and now my engine code has been fixed, I hope it stays off for a while, but if anyone has the DPF on, humour me and run your car at 2000rpm for 15mins will you, and let me know how you get on.....

Hi KLR
Just to knit-pick, the handbook says to do 50 KM/HR for 15 mins ie 30mph, not 50 mph. I was in a 30 mph speed limit area when my DPF light went out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, reading
the article on the link solved all my concerns and issues.
Thank you K.L Richards<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
380 Posts
KLR, excellent article from the AA academy.. Our favou
rite garage in swansea, (whilst having a discussion) suggested in excess of 60 mph in 4th gear, which just happens to be carmarthen to cross hands on the a48, then a bit of m4 before turning off for llanelli. The hand book doesn't say a lot that is useful. light came on once when i first had the car, so carried on driving in low gear, and once the "change oil now" warning came on, but suspect because oil change reset not done at service, Changed anyway as precautionary measure. Who exactly did find/ fix your fault code?

Happy motoring all. keep them revs up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts