Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i am just wondering if someone can tell me what to expect of the captiva when the snow comes!

it concerns me that the 4wd system works only when the front wheels lose traction, its a pity that the captiva doesnt have a lockable 4wd system,

anybody have any experiences from last winter?

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, the car out performed our 2001 freelander in a number of ways and performed way way better than I had envisaged. We live at the bottom of a steep hill and we were the only family to get out and back every day. On the day that the snow fell I was 100 miles from home and I was getting stuck in traffic on the main roads so went on the back roads where no one else was moving and the car performed so well that at times I could hardly believe that other drivers were having so many issues. I was pushing through snow with it hitting the front skid plate at times. In fairness the Freelander had the edge in deep snow as the tyres were mixed road, however with Electronic Stability Programme ( sideways traction was better) and Electronic Traction Control (setting off from still on ice) the Captiva was the best performer. The freelander would also yar when travelling at speed on snow / ice covered motorways as its fixed 4wd system had trouble with stability when left and and right hand side of the car had different grips. The Captiva does not yar as it controls each wheel individually and as such in falling snow I was happier to sit in the outside lane of the motorway (no tyre tracks) at 40mph on any day last winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts