Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 20" tyres on my Captiva, 245/45/20. I have to replace the 2 front tyres, and was wondering can you put on 2 - 245/35/20??

Well I already have them on, as I couldnt find 2, 245/45/20's, and know I have warning lights on my dash, I was wondering would the different size tyres be the reason??

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would say yes, it messes with all the traction control and abs sensors and makes the car think there is wheel slippage due to slightly different tyre speeds. The compact spare wheel has the same effect when in use. Dealership told me was not a problem short term while puncture was baing sorted but I would be a bit wary of the effects of leaving this longterm...:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I sort of thought that, as all the lights that are lit up, are all wheel related. Hope to get the proper size tyres asap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Don't know if it would switch warning lights on, but I suppose it could do as it would confuse the **** out of the sensors....

However, from a pure safety aspect, what you have done is barmy, and should be corrected asap, as the rolling radius of the wheel is now incorrect, which means your speedo is inaccurate. Also it alters the geometry between the front and back, which could spin the car in a bend.

Not to say, what you have done is illegal, and your car is now not roadworthy, if the boys in blue pulled you over. Which also means you have no valid insurance, as they will not cover you for driving the car outside of manufactures tolerances....

I don't know who fitted these tyres for you but they are an absolute shambles and should be reported, as they have taken your money with no concern for your safety.

My advice. DONT drive the car, call a mobile tyre fitter and get them to put it right.

I cant believe this was done.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Telboy,

The original tyre size for the 20 " in Captiva'sare 245/ 40 coz Im using the same wheel size. So it is alright to use the 245 /45 without any problems because Im planning to change mine with that size. If you are looking youcan find the 245/45 size tyres in blackcircles or tyrexpress.co.uk in reasonable amount.

Cheers,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Telboy,

Do you mind if i ask y wht is your tyre pressure on your 245/45/20 tyres at present because i just changed mine recently.

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Telboy

may i know what is your tyre pressure with your 245/45/20 tyres at present because i just fitted the same size recently. Sorry i posted this reply twice by accident.

CheersEdited by: iceman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts