Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting an annoying rumble noise at low speeds on bumpy roads, checked the suspension for play and found it on the near side anti-roll bar drop link. Was able to order one from Partco £20 + vat [they are not very substantial to say they are for a big 4x4, no wonder they are prone to failure] The top nut was easy to get off it faced outwards but the bottom nut was a bit awkward it faced inwards towards the car, could just get a ring spanner on it but no room to turn it, so left the spanner on the nut and pulled the drop bar off the ball part of the joint [as I say not very robust just popped off ] then using a pair of stillsons on the ball un-screwed the bottom fixing. The bottom ball joint was rusty and worn I think the seal had failed and let water in,the top joint was shiny and clean with no play.l

·
Registered
652 Posts
Had the same annoying knock myself. Got my local garage to do mine last week. £90. not bad for parts and labour, if parts cost you £20.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hey big Al,
Could you feel the play or was it only apparent when you removed the bar? I have similar and have been driving myself daft trying to find the cause.

Iain

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just decided that as their cheap enough, I'll change them both anyhow! Ordered from fleabay!
Iain

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ian you have a bit of a job getting a good grip of the bars the struts are a bit in the way. Drivers side was solid when giving it a good yank back and forth, but the nearsideI could just feel a very slight bit of a clunk movement, anyway it was enough all sorted now.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's fine, I have a grinder...
Iain

·
Registered
997 Posts
My car is at 34000, bars changed, both front and rear and noise has gone. Replacing the front's first, it only solved half of the rumble. The n/s/r link was duff as well. They were much more expensive on fleabay than the fronts, but got a pair, delivered from Germany for £42 inc postage. £32 + p+P each on fleabay. If anyone needs it, I'm happy to post the web link.
The rearbars themselves are a bitch to remove, a grinder and a cutting disk being the best method IMHO. The fronts have better access and the face of the ball joint has a couple of straight edges to allow a spanner to fit, rather than trying to use the internal hex/allen key to hold the joint as you loosen it. Or, as I said, there is the angle grinder...

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am also getting this rumbling sound. At the last MOT, the main dealer mechanic noted on his advisory that some suspension part at the front had a degree of play in it. I can't remember exactly what the part was called but seem to recall it was to do with the roll bar. I was taken aback that there would be such wear at only 24000 miles. Are cars made from biscuits these days?
In any case, I declined to have it done as they were looking for over £100 to replace just one. Are these parts also known as roll bar links or is that something else?

Can anyone provide a link to where I might buy the parts myself?

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yup, also known as drop links. I have a nice rattly pair at the front which I am about to change. Noticed at about 39000 miles....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mind you I was quoted over £900 plus VAT to supply and fit a towbar when I thought in a fit of madness I might as well give the main dealer a call and see what they say so I would def. get someone else to price it if you aren`t up for doing it yourself...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts