Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 2012 Captiva 2.2D LTZ lit for a short period of time the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (yellow light with wrench inside a car) while I was driving. Just a few seconds, it then turned off and I finished my trip normally.

Immediately after stopping, I ran a scan with my ODB2 reader, and found the following:
  • P200A (DTC definition not found. Please refer to vehicle manual)
  • P0299 (Turbocharger / Supercharger Underboost)
  • P0101 (Air mass / volume area malfunction)
  • P0404 (Escape Gas Recirculation issue)
(The descriptions are approximate as I'm translating from Spanish)

After reading some posts here and other sites, I suspect the problem might be:
  • EGR valve (e.g. needs cleaning)
  • MAF sensor (e.g. cleaning)
  • Air pipes / vents (e.g. leaks)

In addition to the DT Codes, the car has been suffering a loss of power in the last months (which is consistent with the codes). The loss of power is random (e.g. the car losses power or "pushes" with no action on the throttle pedal).
Can you advise me on what steps to follow to diagnose this problem? What to look for?

Really appreciate any help.

Regards,
Ryback

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. After some extensive diagnostic work, I still cannot fix this problem. However, I could gain some insight on the (according to me) likely causes:

• The failure is erratic, and the MIL does not turn on, or more strange, lits for a second or two and then goes off
  • When checking my scanner (ANCEL AD310 - not sophisticated), I get DTC P200A (Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Control Circuit Performance). That DTC shows as "stored"
  • Also, and on a random basis, some other DTCs show as part of the last trip (scanner shows them as "current" or "in progress", not remember the exact term). These DTCs are P0234 (Turbocharger Engine Overboost), P0299 (Turbocharger Engine Underboost), P0101 (Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance - already cleaned MAF and didn't show up again) and P0404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance)
  • Important to mention that P200A shows up always and gets stored. The rest of DTCs appear on a random basis and change from trip to trip

Based on what I researched so far, I think the problem is the car's inability to control the swirl flaps in the intake manifold (as indicated by DTC P200A - Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Control Circuit Performance)

I found this technical bulletin which makes a lot of sense regarding this issue, but unfortunately I don't own a GM scanner (referred to as GDS2).

What are your thoughts on this problem and the bulletin? Can you recommend next steps for diagnosis?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Random problems could relate to possible EGR sticking. I'd remove and clean EGR as the next step.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi there.

I've been struggling for months with this issue. The car has a significant power loss. MILs (both icons = car with wrench, yellow engine) turns on and off on a random basis. From what I researched these months, there is an issue with the swirls flaps (inside inlet manifold) that remain closed, severely limiting air intake to engine. The swirl flaps are designed to accelerate air flow at low rpms, inducing a better fuel-air mix. They do this by closing like the throttle body, but there is one flap for each cylinder. The problem, I assume, is that the flaps remain closed when rpms increase, and the engine simple cannot take enough air.

Supporting this theory are 3 facts:
- This issue has already occured (at least in Argentina, where I live). Fix is to replace the inlet manifold (as the flaps are not sold separately)
- There is a smell of unburnt diesel
- There is a hiss as if high pressure air from turbocharger has nowhere to go and escape somewhere in its way to the cylinders. This is supported by a DTC "turbocharger overboost", that occurs randomly.

Additionaly, I found this technical bulletin, recognizing the problem and indicating steps to diagnose. Unfortunately, I don't have the GDS2 tool.

After some thought, I'm about to disassemble the inlet manifold to take a look at the flaps or directly remove them. I found this procedure.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Have you cleaned (or replaced) the EGR valve yet. I mentioned this as a possibility at the end of August.
This link is possibly useful reading:- https://www.obd-codes.com/p2001
P2001 is a generic code but one of the causes can be the EGR valve sticking. The EGR is a bit of a pain to get to towards the rear of the engine. I'd try that first as it meets some of your reported diagnostic effects.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi there. From what I researched these months, there is an issue with the swirls flaps (inside inlet manifold) that remain closed, severely limiting air intake to engine. The swirl flaps are designed to accelerate air flow at low rpms, inducing a better fuel-air mix. They do this by closing like the throttle body, but there is one flap for each cylinder. The problem, I assume, is that the flaps remain closed when rpms increase, and the engine simple cannot take enough air.
The inlet manifold has 8 ports and the swirl flaps are only fitted to 4 of these. It's a 16 valve engine so there's 2 inlet valves (and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder).

The default position for the swirl flaps is fully open and it is possible to check the position of the operating shaft to see what position it is in at rest. Under the correct conditions the actuator movers the swirl flaps to introduce turbulence to the inlet air stream to help combustion but each swirl flap only operates on the inlet port for 1 of the 2 inlet valves of each cylinder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you cleaned (or replaced) the EGR valve yet. I mentioned this as a possibility at the end of August.
The EGR is a bit of a pain to get to towards the rear of the engine. I'd try that first as it meets some of your reported diagnostic effects.
I tried, but I couldn't disassemble the valve. I followed this procedure. I could remove the 3 bolts, but I couldn't separate the valve from its container. I hit it, used a pry bar, etc, but it didn't move. Do you have any advice on how to remove it?

P2001 is a generic code but one of the causes can be the EGR valve sticking. This link is possibly useful reading:- https://www.obd-codes.com/p2001
Appreciate the link, but looks it may not suit this car. I mentions bank 2, whereas I believe this only occurs on engines that have 2 sets of cylinders (e.g. engines V and W - not "in line").

Regards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The inlet manifold has 8 ports and the swirl flaps are only fitted to 4 of these. It's a 16 valve engine so there's 2 inlet valves (and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder).

The default position for the swirl flaps is fully open and it is possible to check the position of the operating shaft to see what position it is in at rest. Under the correct conditions the actuator movers the swirl flaps to introduce turbulence to the inlet air stream to help combustion but each swirl flap only operates on the inlet port for 1 of the 2 inlet valves of each cylinder.
Thanks for the illustrating reply, Victor. You really leave me shocked, as the power loss is dramatic and the only thing that could explain it was a severe obstruction in the inlet system, but having one of the 2 valves always open "dismantles" my theory.

I did some experiments and found the following:
- as I accelerate, I hear a hissing (air) sound increasing, but its on the left side (this suggests it's not flowing out of the supercharger, but probably from the pipe that feeds exhaust gas to the EGR valve
- using live data from the scanner, I found a lot of activity in the EGR valve (opening and closing all the time), and for moments the desired position differs from the actual position. Don't know if the EGR valve has some "lag" to adjust, or if it's stuck and because of that it moves slowly
- the Throttle Position Sensor will not go below 16% no matter how much I step on the gas pedal (TPS % goes down as I accelerate).
- air mass at idle changes without notice or reason. For some moments it sits at 7g/s, and suddenly it raises to 28 g/s. No action (e.g. press pedal) on my side. I already cleaned and check the sensor

Any clues?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- as I accelerate, I hear a hissing (air) sound increasing, but its on the left side (this suggests it's not flowing out of the supercharger, but probably from the pipe that feeds exhaust gas to the EGR valve.
I followed up on the hissing sound on the left side. After looking at some diagrams, I realized there is a pipe (a set of 3 actually) that deliver air from the intercooler to the throttle body, and they are located on the left side, where the hissing sound originated. I asked someone to accelerate the vehicle while putting my hand near the battery and I could feel the air flow, that occurs when rpm are high (2500+).
So I dissassembled battery, fuse box and battery tray, to find that one of the pipes had a cut of about 3-4 inches, and that part of the engine was stained with oil.

Now I have something concrete to hang onto. I will replace the pipe and see how the car runs.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Now it looks as if you are getting somewhere. My post of August 4th did suggest that you check air hoses. I hope this will cure the problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
P200A is same as P2001 (A=1)
Read up in this article :-
P2001 OBD-II Trouble Code: NOx Trap Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2
You are on the right track but lots of possibilities.
Start with easy solutions first ie clean MAF (handle carefully - delicate component). Check air intake hoses for concealed splits.
Have you had DPF problems?
P200A Fixed
I recently commented on the forum that I had a (DTC Logged P200A-00)
I booked my 2013 Holden Captiva into the Holden Workshop to have a complete diagnostic scan done on the ECU and other modules to try to ascertain were this fault was originating from.
The scan was done with this report given;
Tested (IMRC) Actuator with Vacuum and scanner checked voltage variation from IMRC position sensor
Passed
Tested Turbo Charger Vane Actuator with Vacuum and scanner and checked voltage variation from position sensor
Passed.
Tested EGR Bypass Actuator with vacuum and scanner
Passed
Tested Vacuum solenoids for Turbocharger and (IMRC) for Vacuum leaks
Failed
Suggest replacement of both vacuum solenoids due to wear internally.

I have been clearing the P200A DTC every day for weeks but after a drive it would be back in and logged
I also mentioned I had lost Boost pressure on my VGT Turbo
Maximum used to be 36psi, when the P200A started I could only get 24 psi

I had purchased 2 new Vacuum Solenoids at around $300 Dollars Australian each.
14 Days ago I changed the solenoid on the drivers side that controls the Turbo Vanes, it took me about 1 hour to do, I cleared the P200A DTC with my scan tool and went for a drive
NO More P200A being logged, and my boost pressure increased to 30psi
I checked for codes every day but none were logged
Yesterday I decided to change the (IMRC) solenoid, this was the hardest valve to change as there is very little room to move your hands as I was reaching over the back of the motor to change it,
This valve took me 2.5 hours to change.
Checked the scanner for codes there was none, went for a drive, I now have full boost pressure at 36psi, the car runs great.
I talked to the mechanic that did the scan he mentioned that the DTC was being logged possibly due to not enough vacuum being available to the (IMRC) actuator due to solenoid valves being worn and leaking
It was not an easy job the change these 2 valves, and honestly I do not want to change another one in the near future.
My P200A fault was caused by Vacuum loss, when they did the scan the mechanic verified the actuators, wiring was all good and the reference sensors were good.
Lurchy 040521

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
P200A Fixed
I recently commented on the forum that I had a (DTC Logged P200A-00)
I booked my 2013 Holden Captiva into the Holden Workshop to have a complete diagnostic scan done on the ECU and other modules to try to ascertain were this fault was originating from.
The scan was done with this report given;
Tested (IMRC) Actuator with Vacuum and scanner checked voltage variation from IMRC position sensor
Passed
Tested Turbo Charger Vane Actuator with Vacuum and scanner and checked voltage variation from position sensor
Passed.
Tested EGR Bypass Actuator with vacuum and scanner
Passed
Tested Vacuum solenoids for Turbocharger and (IMRC) for Vacuum leaks
Failed
Suggest replacement of both vacuum solenoids due to wear internally.

I have been clearing the P200A DTC every day for weeks but after a drive it would be back in and logged
I also mentioned I had lost Boost pressure on my VGT Turbo
Maximum used to be 36psi, when the P200A started I could only get 24 psi

I had purchased 2 new Vacuum Solenoids at around $300 Dollars Australian each.
14 Days ago I changed the solenoid on the drivers side that controls the Turbo Vanes, it took me about 1 hour to do, I cleared the P200A DTC with my scan tool and went for a drive
NO More P200A being logged, and my boost pressure increased to 30psi
I checked for codes every day but none were logged
Yesterday I decided to change the (IMRC) solenoid, this was the hardest valve to change as there is very little room to move your hands as I was reaching over the back of the motor to change it,
This valve took me 2.5 hours to change.
Checked the scanner for codes there was none, went for a drive, I now have full boost pressure at 36psi, the car runs great.
I talked to the mechanic that did the scan he mentioned that the DTC was being logged possibly due to not enough vacuum being available to the (IMRC) actuator due to solenoid valves being worn and leaking
It was not an easy job the change these 2 valves, and honestly I do not want to change another one in the near future.
My P200A fault was caused by Vacuum loss, when they did the scan the mechanic verified the actuators, wiring was all good and the reference sensors were good.
Lurchy 040521

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey Lurchy, you da man, well done sir. I often wonder about these swirl flaps as to whetehr tehy're worth all the bother. The principle is sound enough, they want to improve air swirl in the cylinder to help combustion but then along come the tree huggers and say Oh but you'll raise the combustion temperatures to the point where NOx may be formed so you need to open the EGR valve and pump in some rotten exhaust fumes to lower the combustion temperatures and that's where it all starts falling to bits.

I also wonder about those vacuum pumps on the Captiva / Antara I've never heard of one being tested. Some cars have a life limit on them, some of the Toyotas have something like 110,000 miles replacement (no repair kits available). .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Lurchy, you da man, well done sir. I often wonder about these swirl flaps as to whetehr tehy're worth all the bother. The principle is sound enough, they want to improve air swirl in the cylinder to help combustion but then along come the tree huggers and say Oh but you'll raise the combustion temperatures to the point where NOx may be formed so you need to open the EGR valve and pump in some rotten exhaust fumes to lower the combustion temperatures and that's where it all starts falling to bits.

I also wonder about those vacuum pumps on the Captiva / Antara I've never heard of one being tested. Some cars have a life limit on them, some of the Toyotas have something like 110,000 miles replacement (no repair kits available). .
Hi Victor,
I just wanted to add a bit more info on what can cause malfunction in IMRC and Turbo Vane Actuators re: P200A-00,
The vacum comes from vacum pump and feeds vacum to (Brake Booster, Vacuum solenoid for EGR bypass Valve and the 2 Vacuum solenoids on rear of engine that feeds vacum for Turbo and IMRC, before the vacuum gets to the 2 rear solenoids the vacum line goes to a reservoir (Vacuum Tank) the EGR Bypass in not connected to this tank only the 2 solenoids on rear of motor, the tank has an Inlet to the Pump (Straight Hose Fitting) and a (Right Angled Fitting) that goes to the 2 Solenoids as Vacuum supply, The Right Angle Fitting is a One-Way Valve, if the One-Way Valve goes faulty i have read on other forums it can cause P200A-00 DTC,, also the 2 solenoids wear internally because when operating with the Vacum applied they can only release Part or all of the Vacuum by letting air into the Vents on the solenoid valves (Picture with my finger), i am thinking as there is no filters on these intake vents they can over time suck in dust and moisture that can make valves wear out quicker.

Hey Victor,
You are correct, i also have heard nothing about the Vacuum Pumps on these engines, for instance how much Vacuum do they create, is the Brake Booster Vacuum line totally separate internally in the pump from the Actuator Vacuum line EG:( 2 separate pumps in one) and like you say some only last so many Thousand Miles and no repair kits are available, they must be driven of the camshafts somehow ? Lurchy

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes the vacuum pump is driven off the back of one of the camshafts Lurchy, from memory its the exhaust camshaft and the fuel pump is driven off the back of the inlet camshaft. Have you any idea where the vacuum source is taken for the EVAP test? I don't know offhand whether it's teed off one of the diaphragms or if it's taken off the throttle body somewhere. All i've seen is a bunch of spaghetti hanging down the back of the engine with Mixed Up Everything - and I don't mean your OZ rock band

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. After some extensive diagnostic work, I still cannot fix this problem. However, I could gain some insight on the (according to me) likely causes:

• The failure is erratic, and the MIL does not turn on, or more strange, lits for a second or two and then goes off
  • When checking my scanner (ANCEL AD310 - not sophisticated), I get DTC P200A (Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Control Circuit Performance). That DTC shows as "stored"
  • Also, and on a random basis, some other DTCs show as part of the last trip (scanner shows them as "current" or "in progress", not remember the exact term). These DTCs are P0234 (Turbocharger Engine Overboost), P0299 (Turbocharger Engine Underboost), P0101 (Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance - already cleaned MAF and didn't show up again) and P0404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance)
  • Important to mention that P200A shows up always and gets stored. The rest of DTCs appear on a random basis and change from trip to trip

Based on what I researched so far, I think the problem is the car's inability to control the swirl flaps in the intake manifold (as indicated by DTC P200A - Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Control Circuit Performance)

I found this technical bulletin which makes a lot of sense regarding this issue, but unfortunately I don't own a GM scanner (referred to as GDS2).

What are your thoughts on this problem and the bulletin? Can you recommend next steps for diagnosis?

Thanks.
El código p200a es la electroválvula de vacío del turbo. Desconecte la manguera obstruya con un perno la salida de la manguera y observará como cambia y se suavisa el ruido del motor. Ya puedes cambiar la válvula o dejar desconectada con la manguera obstruida

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Jorge, The operational language of this Forum is English.
Helpful Guidance on How to Sign-Up and use the Forum is on the following link:-

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had this code when my intercooler pipe split that is situated side of cylinder head near battery tray area also had this code when plastic inlet that connects to throttle body blew off, pop rivets that hold it to bracket fell out causing inlet connection to twist of throttle body

1 - 19 of 19 Posts