Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Captiva 3.2 V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am hoping that I maybe able to get some advice, i have a 2007 Captiva 3200 V6 AWD. Over the last 2 weeks I have had some warning lights come up, the traction control, Hill Descent, these would go after a while and when car was restarted, this week, I have an additional light come on the car with spanner, and when i turn the key to start I get nothing no starter etc, along with tis there appears to be no power to dash gauges (ie fuel gauge doesnt move) sometimes this will clear and allow the car to start. I can only start when the power comes on all fuel gauge registers on the dash. This is not a battery fault as battery is good. Also once car is started and running i have also lost all power to the dash ie no tacho no speedo temp or fuel gauges.
I suspect that the ECU may be to blame, I have taken it to a garage and have list of error codes, (note the text is in Spanish )
Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Car Tachometer

I have attached the error codes.
the garage have thought that could be a dodgy electrical connection but with so many issues and lights showing and the starter uses the ECU i had wondered if the ecu was more likely to be the culprit

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
I'm a firm believer in checking the 'simple items' first.
This might sound strange but when was the battery in the key fob last replaced? There could be a 'communication' problem.
Most of the illuminations shown relate to the vehicle stability control. Worth checking your ABS sensors and connectors to them as these are stability related.
These can be checked using a small multimeter. You can look up ABS discussions (many) by using the Forum Search facility.

ps: well done in completing your Sign-Up World location and vehicle details first time!

·
Registered
413 Posts
What workshop gives a 3 page list of codes.
They should erase them and see what codes come up first.

This is codes for just about everything i suspect its an electrical problem since you encounter a no start condition.
One of the cables from the batteris a famous souces for bad ground i woulds start with that.

·
Registered
2007 Captiva 3.2 V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This might sound strange but when was the battery in the key fob last replaced? There could be a 'communication' problem.
Most of the illuminations shown relate to the vehicle stability control. Worth checking your ABS sensors and connectors to them as these are stability related.
These can be checked using a small multimeter. You can look up ABS discussions (many) by using the Forum Search facility.

ps: well done in completing your Sign-Up World location and vehicle details first time!
Thanks for getting back to me.
I will check the sensors and also look at the cabling in the engine bay as some of the shielding around the cable forms has gone away with heat I suppose (well there is 275k km on the car) and see if that gives me a clue at all, I had seen one thing on you tube which suggested that there should be a 5v supply to the likes of throttle body air mass valve etc Those i will look at too, as i previously had fault which threw up these lights and into limp home etc and it turned out to be the throttle body itself, Chevrolet spain wanted (wait for it ) 1400 euro for that part which i sourced at 160usd and fitted with no issues from then till now, the one thing of concern really was that with this set of problems the car if there is power to the dash it will start if no power to dash it wont .
I will let you know how I get on

·
Registered
2007 Captiva 3.2 V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What workshop gives a 3 page list of codes.
They should erase them and see what codes come up first.

This is codes for just about everything i suspect its an electrical problem since you encounter a no start condition.
One of the cables from the batteris a famous souces for bad ground i woulds start with that.
Thanks for your reply
I will check the battery certainly although I have had the ground terminal off and all was good there plus battery is maybe 12 months old only. Also will check the looms etc just in case.

I will post how i get on.

·
Registered
2007 Captiva 3.2 V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think that I may actually have 2 issues, one is the stability which is not as important as the 2nd which is the non starting issue, i have taken battery out (BTW both keys had batteries replace in the summer and work well opening and locking from distance) i cleaned terminals -ve and +ve and the earth to car body i cleaned and remade. i took the ecu out of the car as wanted to get part number, checked wiring in and around the engine cleaned all fuses (none looked bad at all) when i put car back together battery in all lights were out started no issues ran it for about 5km switched it off on no issues, i came down again 2 hours later to try it again started no issues no lights then after about 15 min of engine running and driving the stability lights traction control etc came on then after another while the car with spanner light came on dash power disappeared ie no petrol gauge temp gauge tacho or speedo and into limp mode , after further few mins the power came back to the dash car and spanner went, and after parking car i was able to switch off and restart the car.
i then tried looking the car opening it with key all worked and on trying to start no power to dash no engine turning but the crank relay was operating,
thats where we are at the moment

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
You refer to the Stability control not being as critical as the starting issue. Bear in mind that if the vehicle is registering a stability issue then it simply might choose not to start for perceived safety reasons. One thing linked to the other. Go and check all the ABS sensors and the connector blocks. ABS error(s) will trigger safe mode with loss of power and possible no start .
Recheck the ignition key battery. Once when I dropped my key the battery was mispositioned and made 'on/off' contact. I'm suspecting a poor signal or you have a defective ignition barrel.

·
Registered
2007 Captiva 3.2 V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You refer to the Stability control not being as critical as the starting issue. Bear in mind that if the vehicle is registering a stability issue then it simply might choose not to start for perceived safety reasons. One thing linked to the other. Go and check all the ABS sensors and the connector blocks. ABS error(s) will trigger safe mode with loss of power and possible no start .
Recheck the ignition key battery. Once when I dropped my key the battery was mispositioned and made 'on/off' contact. I'm suspecting a poor signal or you have a defective ignition barrel.
Thanks
I will get a check of those sensor cables definitely hadnt thought that as safety issue it would prevent start, and suppose thinking further that as safety issue it wont stop when engine was running, the strange part is that the dash instruments all go to zero, both keyfobs had batteries changed but i only use one i have tried both.

thanks will let you know how it goes

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Have you by any chance got any heavy extra items on your key fob? I'm just wondering if there is anything swinging when the key is in ignition barrel which might be moving the key in the barrel whilst you are driving which is making / breaking contact in the barrel.

I'll stick with my earlier suggestion about checking all the ABS sensors and the wiring. This Forum is littered with posts about the weird gremlin situations caused by ABS faults. There is the remote possibility as you have an older vehicle that one of your ABS stability reluctor rings has rusted/split and possibly moved on the shaft. Test the ABS sensors first to rule them and connector blocks out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts