Chevrolet Owners Club banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
A video would be great Lurchy, like the icing on the cake because most DIYers will want to know exactly how the EGR valve comes out, especially if they've never done it before.Best way is to put it on Youtube and then put up a link to it on here. Not unless @Aussie Ed knows another way.
Hi Mate,
the video victor i did for the reason to show what exactly you need to remove or disconnect to be able to remove EGR Valve, the video shows why you don't need to dissconect fuel lines, it also shows what to move to one-side (so to speak) instead of disconnecting, then if you follow my removal of EGR Valve instructions, it should work.
I read many posts about removing fuel lines, some getting damaged,, i have worked out how they do it (Workshops that is), just got to work out U-Tube Mate :)

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey Lurchy, I was wondering about some background music for this video. How about digging out summat from this guy?

·
Registered
28 Posts
A video would be great Lurchy, like the icing on the cake because most DIYers will want to know exactly how the EGR valve comes out, especially if they've never done it before.Best way is to put it on Youtube and then put up a link to it on here. Not unless @Aussie Ed knows another way.
Victor,
I have tried and redone this short video many times to try to get full screen aspect ratio right but no, so i am posting the url here

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well done Lurchy, thanks for the video showing all the details, I’ll see if I can get that Sheila of mines to watch it, if I get the Antara back I’ll get her to do it cos I’m busy for the next couple of weeks with the World Snooker Championship on TV. It’s interesting that the fuel pipe doesn’t need to come off which makes things a lot easier.

It was good of you to point out a lot of the other bits and pieces on the engine but could I make the following comments:

The vacuum line for the turbo actuator you mention at 3:35 and 4:04 I believe is for the intercooler bypass actuator. The turbo actuator is driven by a stepper motor controlled by PWM via the ECU.

The regulator you point out at 4:35 is the glow plug power supply. It’s supplied by a Jcase fuse in the box mounted on the slam panel which also houses the fan relays etc (see pic).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well done Lurchy, thanks for the video showing all the details, I’ll see if I can get that Sheila of mines to watch it, if I get the Antara back I’ll get her to do it cos I’m busy for the next couple of weeks with the World Snooker Championship on TV. It’s interesting that the fuel pipe doesn’t need to come off which makes things a lot easier.

It was good of you to point out a lot of the other bits and pieces on the engine but could I make the following comments:

The vacuum line for the turbo actuator you mention at 3:35 and 4:04 I believe is for the intercooler bypass actuator. The turbo actuator is driven by a stepper motor controlled by PWM via the ECU.

The regulator you point out at 4:35 is the glow plug power supply. It’s supplied by a Jcase fuse in the box mounted on the slam panel which also houses the fan relays etc (see pic).
View attachment 1933
Hi Victor thanks for the update mate, i was mistaken, i will have to get more info on the turbo, i looked at the Chevrolet 959-1 document, i will get an update on that, you must have a different turbo on your car than mine, i will check it out :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Victor thanks for the update mate, i was mistaken, i will have to get more info on the turbo, i looked at the Chevrolet 959-1 document, i will get an update on that, you must have a different turbo on your car than mine, i will check it out :)
Victor, the turbo on my captiva does not have a stepper motor, it has a vacuum actuator that controls the Vanes in the Turbo as it is a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) at the exhaust side of the turbo, the electrical connector is a reference point for the ECU so it knows the position of the Vanes and adjusts the vanes with vacuum through the vacuum actuator attached to the turbo and by the Vacuum valve i mentioned on the rear of the motor.
Victor i have seen some pictures of 2.0 litre diesel engine turbos that have a stepper motor, (a Square shaped Motor attached to the turbo) but not on my 2.2 Captiva
I will find out more about my turbo on my car,, I do know from the Holden Engineers in Korea that the 2.2 VGT boost pressure cuts of at 2.5 bar or 36.2594 psi, a standard turbo could manage 15 psi boost maybe.
I will be the first to put my hand up if i am wrong :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Victor, the turbo on my captiva does not have a stepper motor, it has a vacuum actuator that controls the Vanes in the Turbo as it is a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) at the exhaust side of the turbo, the electrical connector is a reference point for the ECU so it knows the position of the Vanes and adjusts the vanes with vacuum through the vacuum actuator attached to the turbo and by the Vacuum valve i mentioned on the rear of the motor.
Victor i have seen some pictures of 2.0 litre diesel engine turbos that have a stepper motor, (a Square shaped Motor attached to the turbo) but not on my 2.2 Captiva
I will find out more about my turbo on my car,, I do know from the Holden Engineers in Korea that the 2.2 VGT boost pressure cuts of at 2.5 bar or 36.2594 psi, a standard turbo could manage 15 psi boost maybe.
I will be the first to put my hand up if i am wrong :)
Lurchy, there may well be differeences between your car and the models sold in the European market but Chevrolet issued a Technical Bulletin OSB12-08-001 and in it there’s a schematic of the vacuum pump controls which identifies the line that goes to the turbo as Intercooler Bypass Regulator Solenoid (see pic).

The SB was produced in response to customers who were experiencing the engine warning light coming on with following DTC’s set and intermittent loss of power.

P003A: Turbocharger Vane Position Not Learned

P2263: Turbocharger Boost System Performance

P200A: Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Control Circuit Performance

The SB applied to Models:
2011 C140 Captiva, the 2011 J300/J305 Cruze and the 2011 J309 Orlando
With 2.0L/2.2L EURO V Diesel Engine (RPO Code: LNQ OR LNP with NT5) and DPF

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lurchy, there may well be differeences between your car and the models sold in the European market but Chevrolet issued a Technical Bulletin OSB12-08-001 and in it there’s a schematic of the vacuum pump controls which identifies the line that goes to the turbo as Intercooler Bypass Regulator Solenoid (see pic).

The SB was produced in response to customers who were experiencing the engine warning light coming on with following DTC’s set and intermittent loss of power.

P003A: Turbocharger Vane Position Not Learned

P2263: Turbocharger Boost System Performance

P200A: Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Control Circuit Performance

The SB applied to Models:
2011 C140 Captiva, the 2011 J300/J305 Cruze and the 2011 J309 Orlando
With 2.0L/2.2L EURO V Diesel Engine (RPO Code: LNQ OR LNP with NT5) and DPF
View attachment 1934
Hi Victor,
I have looked at the above Diagram from Chevrolet,
I don't know how to identify Vacuum solenoid 2 as being (Inter-cooler Bypass Solenoid) no2 solenoid controls the Vanes in the VGT, the small area below the vacuum actuator on the turbo i am led to believe is a vane position sensor and as you see by this drawing there is no stepper motor at all, i am thinking that the EGR Cooler bypass valve is activated electrically to open and close the exhaust gas in the EGR Cooler assembly and is somehow linked to the electrical signal at the vacuum solenoid that feeds the turbo actuator, also the EGR Cooler bypass valve connects straight into the vacuum line from the vacuum pump, the 2 vacuum solenoids Intake Air Tuning (Swirl Flap actuator) and the vacuum solenoid the connects to the turbo vacuum (Vane Actuator) are connected to a small vacuum resiviour, the right angle hose fitting is a One-Way Valve the Straight fitting on the Resiviour as shown in connected direct to the main vacuum line.
On the rear of the z22d1 Victor it shows a pipe that carries exhaust gas into the EGR Cooler assembly, i am thinking that when the turbo is boosting the EGR Cooler bypass valve is either open or closed,
Victor thanks for your reply earlier post mate, i did not know that the wiring harness near the EGR valve was the Glow-Plug Circuit, it just looked like a regulator of some sort, i will en devour to find out more on how the No2 solenoid controls the bypass, hmmm as usual Victor trying to find anything on these captiva diesel motors on the internet is looking for a needle in a haystack,, so to speak, i have tried to find a workshop manual for my model but no luck, i have asked Holden Dealers and they say there wasn't one printed for sale as it was made digital electronic and sent to workshops,,
i do so understand the frustration some of the forum members have, i will put a couple of pics here Victor ol mate, one shows the rear or the motor, another shows stepper motor on a 2.0 turbo
I would like to get a pic of the turbo and actuator on the UK model captiva and the Antra,
Victor and anyone in the forum any extra info would be great :)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Victor,
I don't know how to identify Vacuum solenoid 2 as being (Inter-cooler Bypass Solenoid) no2 solenoid controls the Vanes in the VGT, the small area below the vacuum actuator on the turbo i am led to believe is a vane position sensor and as you see by this drawing there is no stepper motor at all, i am thinking that the EGR Cooler bypass valve is activated electrically to open and close the exhaust gas in the EGR Cooler assembly and is somehow linked to the electrical signal at the vacuum solenoid that feeds the turbo actuator, also the EGR Cooler bypass valve connects straight into the vacuum line from the vacuum pump, the 2 vacuum solenoids Intake Air Tuning (Swirl Flap actuator) and the vacuum solenoid the connects to the turbo vacuum (Vane Actuator) are connected to a small vacuum resiviour, the right angle hose fitting is a One-Way Valve the Straight fitting on the Resiviour as shown in connected direct to the main vacuum line.
On the rear of the z22d1 Victor it shows a pipe that carries exhaust gas into the EGR Cooler assembly, i am thinking that when the turbo is boosting the EGR Cooler bypass valve is either open or closed,
Victor thanks for your reply earlier post mate, i did not know that the wiring harness near the EGR valve was the Glow-Plug Circuit, it just looked like a regulator of some sort, i will en devour to find out more on how the No2 solenoid controls the bypass, hmmm as usual Victor trying to find anything on these captiva diesel motors on the internet is looking for a needle in a haystack,, so to speak, i have tried to find a workshop manual for my model but no luck, i have asked Holden Dealers and they say there wasn't one printed for sale as it was made digital electronic and sent to workshops,,
i do so understand the frustration some of the forum members have, i will put a couple of pics here Victor ol mate, one shows the rear or the motor, another shows stepper motor on a 2.0 turbo
I would like to get a pic of the turbo and actuator on the UK model captiva and the Antra,
Victor i have a couple more pics to post, as you said Victor my friend i think there are some differences between made in Korea and Made in US

Turbocharger for Holden Captiva Z22D1 2.2L

turbo for Chevrolet Captiva 2.0D Z20S Holden Cruze Epica Captiva 7 FWD 4cyl 2.0L | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi Victor,
Lurchy, there’s a multitude of configurations of hybrid electro-pneumatic controls for the GM VGT turbos and info on them is inconclusive at best. Another twist is you’ll find lots of turbos listed for sale advertised as for the 2.2 litre engine but when you get into the ad it will say 2 litre engine. Also, GM dual sources just about everything and I don’t know how many different turbos are fitted (Mitsubishi, Garrett etc). The lack of proper technical documentation doesn’t help us so might just leave it pending someone coming along with a precise summary of what’s what.

Re that schematic, it’s more a pictorial display for reference purposes and I’m not sure how accurately it shows the actual system, It was produced for the European models and possibly the Holden doesn’t have an intercooler by pass due to the higher ambient temperatures.

I have also seen those pictures from the IJIRSET article on Modeling and Simulation of Electro-Pneumatic Actuator for a VGT so it looks like we’re looking at the same stuff on-line. I also looked at an interesting OZ site for EGR valves and coolers where they gave a link about further videos but I’m unable to access them. Have you seen them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lurchy, there’s a multitude of configurations of hybrid electro-pneumatic controls for the GM VGT turbos and info on them is inconclusive at best. Another twist is you’ll find lots of turbos listed for sale advertised as for the 2.2 litre engine but when you get into the ad it will say 2 litre engine. Also, GM dual sources just about everything and I don’t know how many different turbos are fitted (Mitsubishi, Garrett etc). The lack of proper technical documentation doesn’t help us so might just leave it pending someone coming along with a precise summary of what’s what.

Re that schematic, it’s more a pictorial display for reference purposes and I’m not sure how accurately it shows the actual system, It was produced for the European models and possibly the Holden doesn’t have an intercooler by pass due to the higher ambient temperatures.

I have also seen those pictures from the IJIRSET article on Modeling and Simulation of Electro-Pneumatic Actuator for a VGT so it looks like we’re looking at the same stuff on-line. I also looked at an interesting OZ site for EGR valves and coolers where they gave a link about further videos but I’m unable to access them. Have you seen them?
View attachment 1942
Hi Victor,
I have seen the add but i will endevour to call the number on the add to see what the go is and how much the info costs, yes i agree that the diagram was to illustrate in some way the schematic of the vacum system due to people having problems, as you mentioned there are so many configurations of GM 2.2 LNQ Z22D1 VGT Turbos and different actuator mechanisms, i was merely saying the the VGT in my Captiva looks exactly like the illustrated pic from Chevrolet, a Vacum actuated VGT, i do reliese that some of the features of the 2.2 motor would differ in some respect, i still need to find out why the called No-2 Valve (Inter-cooler By-pass) when it is actually the Vacuum solenoid that drives the VGT Vanes
I will call the people at Tech Talk this morning to find out what info they have on our models of Captivas Victor and let the members know.
thanks mate, Lurchy

·
Registered
28 Posts

View attachment 1942
Victor,
it took 2 calls to get a reply on if i could get any info,, 1st was you need membership (I knew that allready) they would call me back in 1 hour,, nutthin till i called them back,, Asked about membershi: answer: no, i am not a registered workshop, i dont have an ABN number and the info is only for registered workshops, not the public,, just another money making company :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Victor,
it took 2 calls to get a reply on if i could get any info,, 1st was you need membership (I knew that allready) they would call me back in 1 hour,, nutthin till i called them back,, Asked about membershi: answer: no, i am not a registered workshop, i dont have an ABN number and the info is only for registered workshops, not the public,, just another money making company :)
That’s too bad Lurchy, seems the good old Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce has things sewn up tighter than a ducks ar$ehole and that’s watertight. If you can’t get to access it in OZ then what chance us in the UK but thanks for trying. The MotorTech main video was good and some extra info never goes wrong but your posts and video have been a great contribution and help anyone tackling EGR removal. If/when I get round to doing mine I’ll update the board.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts