Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Captiva LT manual is now 7 months old and has been a catalogue of disasters. New gear box had to be put in the day it left the dealership, computer stopped working properly, and all sorts of little niggles. have to say the dealership is awful but Chevrolet customer care has been wonderful.
last night on way home my electric handbrake suddenly decided to turn itself on and the car came to a grinding halt in the middle of the road
Has anyone else experienced this really very dangerous problem?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Nope my "old" 2008 model has a real handbrake, operated by cable.

My previous S-Type Jag had one of these electric handbrakes though.

You may need to check (or get the dealers to) for a short of some sort. The electric handbrake works like a flexed muscle, ie. the electic power keeps the handbrake OFF. So if there is a break in the power supply it will activate the handbrake. This is a safety feature, which is common sense when you think it through. For instance, what if your battery dies completely and your car is on a hill. If he power kept the handbrake on, then if the battery dies, the car would start rolling.

As my analogy, some muscles are taught when relaxed and vice versa. Its how a bird doesn't fall off its perch when asleep

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yep it is.... thought I'd said that, but on reading looks like I forgot.

Brain saying one thing, fingers on the keyboard doing what they want....

Called being a Muppet

·
Registered
30 Posts
Woody, right my journey is welltraveledand you are not alone, look at my posts re the satnav, gearbox and now brake. I have the opposite confirmed as happening. When i turn on the ignition the brake randomly disengages. Its not an accidental tap of the brake on the way to the clutch on my manual, but a specific 1 in 30 events. Chevrolet came out today to see me at the dealership and are monitoring this. You are not alone on all counts.

I have used motorcode.co.uk to get me this far, and it appears to be working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts