Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I'm having trouble with cold starts. Getting worst as winter temperatures are setting in. I've changed the Air filter and Fuel filter to no avail. Next I want to test the glow plugs with a multimeter, but my engine cover seems to be held down by the oil filler opening. I've watched a ton of videos on YT (admittedly different makes and models of cars) and every one apart from one video that I found, shows you can just lift the engine covers off. The one that couldn't, the guy opened the oil filler cap without removing it and forced it some more to remove the oil filler neck. Does any one know if this is the correct procedure? I don't want to break something else as I'm down to one failing car at the moment, as the wife wrote her car off in an accident recently.

Regards

Simliv

·
Registered
304 Posts
The photographs that I can find of the engine with the cover off, show the filler screwing down into the aluminium camshaft cover.

What is also clear from this picture is that there are only THREE spherical topped posts that the plastic cover would clip into (top and bottom right corners, bottom left corner). This very strongly implies that the top left corner is held down by the oil filler cap.

This picture shows the plastic cover, it appears to have a flange that is smaller than the cap, again suggesting that perhaps the cap "seals down" onto the cover.

Take the cap off, and have a pull at it and see what happens.

Can't help much mor than that as the Aveo has no covers, and my Peugeot's covers pop right off with the oil cap in place.

Best of luck finding the glow plugs, I can't see them on the photo, more than one bad glow plug is normally accompanied by smoke on starting from unburnt fuel. I changed the plugs on a Renault once ( A "friend" of my at the time wife's family), he had changed the battery as it got harder and harder to start, as it had 3 failed plugs. In the depths of winter, I finally got called out when the last one went, quick check with the multimeter confirmed they were all gone. Told him to get 4 new ones. Much moaning the next day at the cost of them, around £24 as I recall. The moaning was because he had only paid £300 for the car, and felt somehow "cheated", because it hadn't really needed a battery. I fitted 3 of them,and told him to pop round to mine at the weekend, as the fourth was in a tricky place and I didn't have the tools on me. The engine sounded very bad on start up, worn big ends sounds. Service book, (and the state of the oil) showed no oil changes for 30,000 miles+ (6000 required on that engine). Offered to do it. Declined. Car only cost £300. Brakes had about 1mm on them, offered to do them. Declined...... Car only cost £300 and he had already bought a battery he didn't need and wasn't convinced he needed 4 glo plugs either. I bade him good fortune should something stop abruptly in front of him.
He died a couple of years ago in his early 50's of natural causes, and I never went near a vehicle of his again.

Let us know how you get on and if you can, post some pictures to help the next person.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Folks,
I'm having trouble with cold starts. Getting worst as winter temperatures are setting in. I've changed the Air filter and Fuel filter to no avail. Next I want to test the glow plugs with a multimeter, but my engine cover seems to be held down by the oil filler opening. I've watched a ton of videos on YT (admittedly different makes and models of cars) and every one apart from one video that I found, shows you can just lift the engine covers off. The one that couldn't, the guy opened the oil filler cap without removing it and forced it some more to remove the oil filler neck. Does any one know if this is the correct procedure? I don't want to break something else as I'm down to one failing car at the moment, as the wife wrote her car off in an accident recently.

Regards

Simliv
Hi Metro,
Thanks for the info. I did pop all three corner that you mention and tried pulling the cover with the oil cap off, but maybe I wasn't being brave enough! I have noticed off-white smoke a few times accompanied by a smell of diesel. It will probably be the weekend before I get a chance to have a look again. If I get the cover off I'll have a route around and hopefully get lucky in finding the glow plug covers. My next question was probably going to be, "where are they?" lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out I wasn't being brave enough. On my second attempt it popped right off. There was some sticky residue holding it down. As the engine cover has a nice big split in it, I didn't want to try too hard. Couldn't find the glow plugs, so booked it into my local machanics. Turns out the glow plugs are right at the back of the engine and a PITA job.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well that's progress of sorts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts