Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a captiva 57 plate (5 years old) 65000 miles full service history from new.3 weeks ago the engine failed on the motorway - loss of power and horrendous clanging. It does start but sounds awful.
We have been told there is a loss of compression and likely serious mechanical failure. Unfortunately warranty was only 3 years on these models current value with working engine would be trade £6000 more part exchange/private sale.
Full diagnosis and worst case scenario replace the engine has been quoted by chevrolet dealer as £9874 with no gaurantee chevrolet would make a goodwill payment for something that should not happen to a car of this age/ mileage.

Has any body else experienced problems like this? At the moment it is sat waiting for a decision on which way to proceed but all I can see is huge costs in front of me. ANY IDEAS?????

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have a look at the new engine required post on the 26th of Sept, sounds similar. Does not sound like the cam belt has goneor the engine would not run, but it does sound like something has collapsed at the bottom end and come up and bent a valve. With no warranty it depends how much good will Chevrolet are willing to give to offset the £100 per hour main dealers prices, also you have no idea at what the extent of the damage might be till the engine is striped. My advice would be to talk to a few independent garages firstly to find out who would be willing to tackle the job, then totake there advice regarding possible costs and how they would proceed. there is no reason why the engine can not be repaired as long as it is fully checked and all necessary work done. [do not start the engine or you may compound the damage]. Good look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that am looking to possibly find a salvage engine and get someone to put that in, failing that getting someone as you say happy to strip it down and recon it. I just feel like being held by short and curlies in the chevrolet garage with huge costs as soon as lift a spanner and no gaurantee of any goodwill should it be down to mechanical failure. Is it worth appealing to the chairman of chevrolet uk?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi AndyThis happened to us back in Septemberexact same fault, driving along banging noise from engine and loss of power. It is a 57 plate aswell and done 68.00 miles.Arnold Clark/Chevrolet garage diagnoised that cam shaft beaing had went causing it to collapse and damaged clutch and fly wheel which needed replaced. (i had dealer warranty on car so covered most of this cost) but when they rebuilt engine still making engine noise so said needed new engine. We eventually got it back with the view to getting recon engine or getting top end fixed but when stripped only needed exhaustvalve rocker arm. Have been in contact with chevrolet customer service who were very apologetic but couldn't offer any financial help as 2 years out of warranty. Only got my car back last night as getting timing belt changed and otherrepairs done caused by ArnoldClark (hope this isn't the dealer you are dealing with cause they don't know one end of a screw driver to the other!!) We didn't manage to find anyreconditioned engines after a couple of searches only found cow boys willing to rip you off so be very careful!

·
Registered
476 Posts
feehugs said:
Hi AndyThis happened to us back in Septemberexact same fault, driving along banging noise from engine and loss of power. It is a 57 plate as well and done 68.00 miles.Arnold Clark/Chevrolet garage diagnosed that cam shaft bearing had went causing it to collapse and damaged clutch and fly wheel which needed replaced. (i had dealer warranty on car so covered most of this cost) but when they rebuilt engine still making engine noise so said needed new engine. We eventually got it back with the view to getting recon engine or getting top end fixed but when stripped only needed exhaustvalve rocker arm. Have been in contact with Chevrolet customer service who were very apologetic but couldn't offer any financial help as 2 years out of warranty. Only got my car back last night as getting timing belt changed and otherrepairs done caused by ArnoldClark (hope this isn't the dealer you are dealing with cause they don't know one end of a screw driver to the other!!) We didn't manage to find anyreconditioned engines after a couple of searches only found cow boys willing to rip you off so be very careful!
Just checking if you have done a typo feehugs, in your past posts you said it was a crank shaft bearing that had collapsed in your last post you said cam shaft bearing, just did not want to confuse Andy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
O dear, what a horriblesituation to be in. I have a 57 plate too. would it be easy to check those things that have gone,to see if they are ok,if mycar was taken in to the garage...?prevention?Or do we just sit and hope it doesnt happen?!?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not something you have much control or check on deep in the engine, apart from don't abuse the engine [which I would not think you would] and look after the oil, change regularly use the correct type of oil and filter, and bear in mind what the DPF can cause and safe guard against that with perhaps more frequent changes, next as you say,keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Feehugs do you use Linwood? I have little faith in the Vauxhall mechanics that look after my Captiva. Linwood is always busy and I often feel that things are rushed. I find the people who work there friendly however I have always been concerned when I have to take my Captiva into them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No its the Hamilton Road branch that we bought the car from and they were the branch in charge of repairing it, during my contact with Chevrolet they told me that Arnold Clark never contacted them regarding the fault/repairs to my car!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Feehugs, remember it was Vauxhall garages which had problems with the Monterey yet the same car, the Trooper never had the same problems at Izuzu garages. At that time I had a Trooper, and it was excellent, the dealerships and the mechanics new the vehicle inside out. I wonder if history is repeating itself with people who are used to working with Vivas and other Vauhall cars being asked to work on cars which are too complex for them.

My tradein for the Captiva was a Mazda CX-7, the Mazda had a problem in second gear, the car lurched similar to kangaroo petrol, this I have since been told is a problem wit the 2.3 turbo engine. AC Mazda had the car in 6 times, I told them that I suspected the injectors, they never could find the fault, they also never tried to fit new injectors, however they did fit a new set of alloy wheels!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts