Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Repair of oil leak revealed it was front engine oil cover seal (this is known to be troublesome).
Repair authorised by WarrantyWise who at first didnt want to cover the cost of new fuel rails (these have to be removed to gain access). As flare on high pressure joints dont reliably reseal, I challenged this and they agreed the cost of new rails in addition to the oil seal repair.

Upon repair procedure the front auxiliary pulley was found to be partially 'melted' !! See photo attached.
Subsequently the belt failed. Belt and pulley not covered by WW which I accepted as 'consumable'.

So for info; Captiva Series 2 owners be aware of potential failure of front engine oil seal. Also maybe slightly more worrying is potential failure of idler pulley and auxiliary belt at relatively low mileage (less than 31,000).

Finally WarrantyWise stepped up and covered repair as they have on previous issues.

I hope this is useful info to Series 2 owners.

Ed

PS: local Vauxhall dealer dealt with all very efficiently.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ed, need to keep an eye on mines although it's only done circa 25k right now. Hwo did you notice it, was it just a few spots on your drive or was it quite a noticeable leak (as opposed to the big welsh leek you see at the rugby?smile_big:)

You talk about fuel rails being replaced - do you mean fuel pipes? Only rail I can think of is the common rail.

Was your alternator decoupler pulley OK? They've got a habit of chewing themselves up after a few years.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Victor, The leak was not excessive, just odd spots over several months. I found online an Australian GM bulletin concerning the front engine plate oil seal (I downloaded it and have temporarily mis filed it. If I locate it I'll post it).
I visually checked and the oil was higher up than sump which was originally suspected hence I requested full inspection of front seal, which it turned out to be.

As for whether fuel pipe or rails I really dont know. They stated 'rails'. I was away travelling and didnt personally inspect. The discussion was between Dealer and WarrantyWise via their One-Link system. I challenged when WW said fuel rails were not covered and they agreed my challenge. Belt & pulley was identified during the course of the work.

No idea about condition of alternator pulley. I would think they fully checked the vehicle over as they know I am fastidious about the condition of my vehicle. They had it for five weeks - partly due to my being away and I said there was no rush as I had another vehicle I could use (little Citigo).

Hopefully this will provide a forewarning to others to keep an eye out for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts