Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a motoway journey was driving at steady 70 on cruise control, had to accelorate to pass an idito who pulled out on me and my engine warning light came on.
My SatNav has a Engine Code diagnostic function, and it reports :-

P02E1 Engine Diesel Air Flow Cntl

Anyone any idea what this actually means, and am I looking at a big bill ?

Taking to a garage tomorrow, but any input from you on the cause is appreciated.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are 2 codes related to this with further info which will only be displayed on a dealer system. They both relate to an EGR issue, either over or under threshold limits. At worst it'll be a replacement EGR, but it possibly just needs cleaning. I can't remember of you're a frequent or infrequest regenerator, but if you're frequent, it might just mean the egr is gummed up with what is known in the trade as OILY SHIITE! It was a big issue on Renault diesels which was solved by removing the EGR and using carb cleaner and a little brush and some rags to remove the afforementioned substance with some brute force and ignorance.
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers.... From Googleing the web I got the feelin it was to do with the EGR.

See what the garage says tomorrow.... Hopefully, just a clean up.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigianw, your technical assessment of the EGR valvue being caked in "OILY SHIITE", seems to be spot on, according to the mechanic at the garage.

He has taken the EGR out, cleaned it, and reset the codes and done an exhaust emissions test. All seems ok, but he has said, if it comes on again, the EGR may need replacing. Only charging me £80, so fingers crossed this solves the problem.

Cheers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had no idea thatI was so insightful.....
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bugger.... The light cam back on this weekend, same code. Looks like I need a new EGR valve.

Ah well, worth a clean up to see if it fixed it.

Wonder how much the parts on this will hit me for....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the EGR valve on the Captiva is a common problem. The garage has told me they cant get one for over a week. Chevvy says they are supplying around 60 of these a week.

Not happy, as if Chevvy knows this is a problem, how can they put it down to a consumable part.

Oh well... looks like it something I have to bite the bullet with.

If it is as bad as Chevvy says, then you'd all better put an order in now, as you will probably need one at some point soon

·
Registered
153 Posts
My engine light came on last Thursday, I was towing my caravan down to Annan, I took it to the Carlisle dealer, they checked it, and told me the fault code history, it was double dutch to me. The advised me to book it in at my dealer. The also told my dealer over the phon the fault codes they found, I think that the DPF is the problem (the sooner I get rid of the DPF the better).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldnt advise you to get rid of the DPF, this is integral part of the exhaust emissions. Do that and you are highly likely to fail the emmision test in an MOT.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will keep the original DPF and Cat. My local MOT station have told me Cats are not needed for a diesel MOT, however when and if ever required I will be able to get it refitted. I know from past experience removing Cats are the best thing for an exhaust, as they only work after 20 miles and stop the engine exhausting properly for the first 19!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At last, my Captiva is back running without errors (fingers crossed).

The P02E1 has been tracked down to a broken electrical cable. This has been made good, the code reset and so far so good.

As for my DPF, well that went out last night after over 2000 miles with it on... I still think it has something to do with the code, although the dealer says not (post what they had to say on that elswhere). I just think it suspicous, when the code refered to insufficient air circulation in the regeneration... not a mechanic, but too much of a coincedence I think.....

Anyway, the dealers remade the spade connector, charge me £140 for the privaledge
and we are back in business...

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
KLR, just for reference which electrical cable (spade end) failed? Was it a connection to the EGR or somewhere else. Might be useful so we know where to check if vibration makes this susceptible to failure.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
at the moment an EML isnt a MOT failure, likewise the "emissions" test isnt.....its an opacity/smoke test, the EGR valve is SUPPOSED to reduce NOX output but no garage has the eqiupment to test that

my mondeo has gone for test 3 times with a blanked EGR, with the EML on and passed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts