Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
Now that ASDA and Tesco are selling 5w-30 fully synthetic engine oilat around £20 for a 5 litre pack is it worth the risk of switching from the recommended Castrol Edgewhich costs about£35for a4 litre pack? The ASDA/Tesco stuff seems to meet the right specs??

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi Mark, You dont say which model/engine you have but do double double check the specis. If you are diesel with DPF make sure the oil is uitable for use with the diesel particulate filter and control of sulphur/ash etc. GM recommend use of Dexos2 C3for my engine model. I have been a long time user of Magnatec and this is now available in 5-30 & 0-40 in C3 specifically for diesel with DPF. I am currentlywith new vehicle still with original oil fill (whatever that might be), but when it goes in for first oil change at 5,000 miles (I do every 5k not 10k) I will have Magnatec 5-30 put in. Have already bought online and cost mejust under £21 / 4litres delivered (four at a time).Convinced also that Magnatec offers instant lub protection to turbo on start. Thats just my experience preference over many years, others will have their specific 'must use'. Choice is yours but recheck all the fine print on speci. £2,500+ for new engine isnt possibly worth the risk on really cheap wrong speci oil. If happy with Edge then stick with it but get better deal buying online.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
Did you read the bits about the oil. MUST be acea C3 spec as per owners handbook, not sure if captiva uses slightly different . but epica is 5w40 or 0w40 with dexos2 certification.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can see from my posts that as long as it is within spec acea c3 it does not matter which oil, I have used mobil 1, motul, and edge, all are dexos 2, that is what counts. nowt else!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi All, I've been looking at the various engines types on the Captiva as well as old posts and it looks like a mine field on which oil is appropriate. What doesnt help is that Chevy are not overly specific or detailed - certainly not in my latest handbook for the 2012 model. Page 8-4 simply says 0-30, 0-40 or 5-30, 5-40 with no mention of anything else! Page 8-3 simply states Dexos 2 and cross refers to "engine oil" in section 6; where upon it simply states "see Fluid Chart". Fluid chart in index takes you to - yes you've guessed it - Page 8-3 which told me to refer to section 6 !!!! (Ground Hog Day).
The oil filler cap however is specific in big letters - 5W-30.

Nowhere however can I find any guidance for the IMPORTANCE of oil to C3 for diesel engines (irrespective of which viscosity you use) because of the implications on the diesel particulate filter function on diesel engined vehicles.The oil typebetween diesel and petrol engines is different (ie C3 for diesel) even though the viscosity ie 5-30 may be the same on the canister. Using non C3 in a diesel engine wil have adverse implications on the DPF.

Hope this helps or are the waters muddied even further!?

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
153 Posts
The handbook states 5w-40, however the technican at the dealer will put in what is available. I wrote about this in an earlier thread.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
evo 370 said:
The handbook states 5w-40

HiEvo, What you have confirmed is the point I was makingthat Chevys handbooks are a 'mismash' of different guidelines because over the period of 6 years there are numerous engine variants with differing recommendations. Answer is is no one size fits all and dont put oil for petrol engines into a diesel engine.

Bidderman - thanks for feedback.

Aussie Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts