Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, has anyone experienced problems on the diesel engine start up in the cold weather? Sometimes I dont use the vehicle for 2-3 days and I've noticed the captiva can be a struggle to start. I've heard for some diesel engines, you should turn the key until all warning lights come on the dash, and then wait for them to go off, until starting the engine, Is this advisable for the Captiva Diesel? Any advice? Cheers

·
Registered
997 Posts
I generally wait about 5 seconds after the glow plug light goes off and this seems to do the trick- any quicker and it does start, but takes a bit of cranking.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea like big ian said you should wait untill the glow plug lights go out they amber and look like pigs tail if you are sitting waiting on all the lights to go off and if your fan and things and on then that will not help battery especially if its been sitting for a while give it a good drive somewhere too this weather kills batterys cold ,damp usualy dark so you need the lights on and max heat and fans the alternator not getting a chance to recharge the bat after the start and if just short journeys the bat level will start to drop and also cause sluggish starts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts