Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mines a year old now (well its 5 years old but I've had it for a year) and my Network Q warranty has just expired.
Knowing that things could get expensive now I asked about the cost of extending the warranty for a year and they came back with £340 for 12 months, £520 for 24 months.

Anyone know how this compares, and has anyone bought a different one that they could recommend? £340 seems a bit expensive but then I guess a major fault would be a lot more.

By the way, I should also report that in 12 months it's not had anything go wrong with it, it's been utterly reliable. Lots of short journeys and not any sign of DPF problems or anything, really pleased so far.

·
Registered
652 Posts
All down to RISK managment.

I went through the same thought process, but decided against it, but to save the £300 in a fund.If no problem, have £600 the second year and if no problem (fingers crossed) £900 the year later.

Ok, you may have a big problem before the savings mount up to cover it or worse, 2 big problems and not enough savings.

But the reason I went down this route is simple. CHECK THE WARRANTY CAREFULLY. These extended warranties, in my opinion, are seldom worth the paper they are printed on, as they cover nearly nothing.

I took an extended Warranty out years ago on a Volvo S80, which was my company car, but I bought it off the company. I had already put 150k miles on the car when I had it as company car, and as I had it from new, I knew it was well looked after. Never the less, with that milege, decided to take extended warranty when took ownership of the car. Within that period, needed a new wheel bearing. No problem, covered under warranty.... Uh, no, as the mileage was over 100k. They knew that when they sold me the warranty but didnt tell me. Following year, air con failed. Covered under Warranty, no mileage clause against air con, so covered ... err NO, not covered again. This time the excuse was the condensor had failed, and this was excluded.

All in all... I have checked out extended warranties for other cars I have had, for my S Type Jag before and the Captiva now, and there is so much small print, they cover very little. On the Captiva, I questioned this, as it is low mileage (for year), and was told that I could take out a "premium" cover but that was arround £800 per year, but still didnt cover the items you would expect.

Fact is, as a car gets older, the items that fail are the ones excluded on age or mileage.

Up to you, but if you do take out an extended warranty, check the small print very very carefully for what is excluded.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts