Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I think we havecovered all options onthe MPG issue so I would offer new Topic (at least I hope its new and I've not missed this from previous postings).

I have new Captiva LTZ 2.2 Auto which seems to have intermitentfalse triggering on alarm. I can stop, lock-up, walk away and 10-15 seconds later the alarm sounds. All doors & tailgate are closed and no open windows. I canun-lock on key fob and re-lock on key fob (without opening/closing any doors)and hey presto everything is fine!

Any one else had this, if so what was the cause &how was it solved?

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tried turning off the internal sensors to see if it is them?

On my previous car (not a Captiva) I had no end of problems with the internal sensors. They ended up replacing the entire system on that car to fix it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
have had the same, thought it was just me locking up too quickly. if I shut the doors and then dont remote lock until a few seconds later, no probs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the same problem. I'd lock the car then, when the alarm arms itself 30 seconds later, the siren would go off. It's been into the dealer to be investigated. I was told that it was either the ultrasonic sensor or the tilt sensor at fault. The mechanic taped off the sensors above the rear view mirror and told me to see how it goes, i.e. if the fault continues, it's the tilt sensor and, if not, it's the ultrasonic one. After 3 weeks or so, everything is silent so i guess it's the taped off sensor at fault. I just need to save some money now to have it replaced. No doubt it will be costly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Had a simluar problem with my previous car you could try useing a hover around the sensor se if there is any dust or a small spider in there, or if its only going off at night there could be another insect ie spider or moth in the car that is triggering it off hope this helps ast least its free.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mine has gone off a few times, but not regular.

The passenger seat belt had not rewound fully, as there was a twist in the top. Think the twist untangled and the belt rewound after the car was locked and alarmed. Base this on the fact that I have seen this happen once...

I have had the alarm go off, but not that much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having the same problems as well, goes off all the time. The car is having its third visit to the garage to try and sort it this week, they have already changed one set of sensors on its first visit to no avail. When it went in the second time there was no faults showing up on computer to say it had been going off, even tho it had just been going off in garage car park. So hopefully touch wood its gonna get sorted this week, third time lucky......

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Haggismuncher,
Okay I'll keep fingers crossed for you. My false triggering seems to be under control by allowing more time between closing the doors/tailgate and then setting key fob lock.

Thanks to everyone for feed back on their 'gremlin'. Watch this space and see if re-occurs.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I had my car in at pentagon last Thurs for the alarm and up to now its working fine, said they had replaced sensors again, but knowing pentagon they probably just disabled them. On the downside I had a USB stick with all my music on in the car that they have either managed to loose or somebody has swiped it, they are going to replace it, just gotta put all my music back on it which took me hrs first time round

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had this problem of false alarms since buying mine new.

I had it in the garage 15 times under warranty, and they just let it sit there all day, and hey presto, no alarm went off.

If i press the roof button, this stops the false activation, so it is clearly the internal sensors that are at the root of the problem, but these were replaced recently, and still the problem exists.

Is there any way to permanently disable the internal sensors???? Even when I taped mine up like one of the previous posters did, mine still false alarms.

Driving me nuts, as I am in and out of the car around 70 times a day (sort of courier work)

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had similar issues. I removed the interior light pod and disconected the wiring to the sensors- no more problem!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the same problem as Aussie Ed - I double click the lock button, and by the time I am 10 yards away, the alarm goes off on infrequent occaisions. Dealer has changed a sensor, but still have the problem, but it is so rare that a) the dealer cannot reproduce it, and b) I can live with it.

BTW I double click out of habit due to being an ex Vectra owner - it is not necessary on the Captiva.

·
Registered
180 Posts
jegrugby said:
BTW I double click out of habit due to being an ex Vectra owner - it is not necessary on the Captiva.

Ditto about being an ex-Cavalier/Vectra/Signum owner, but in INSTRUMENTS AND CONTROLS 2""“55of the Captiva manual, itsays to do it twice:

To engage deadlock, do one of the following:

""¢ Press the LOCK button twice in
succession. Press the LOCK button once
to lock the vehicle, then press it again
(within 3 seconds) to engage the deadlock.

""¢ Insert the key in the driver door lock and
turn the key twice continuously towards
the rear of the vehicle. That is, once to
lock the doors, then a second time to
engage the deadlock.

Edited by: CBers

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi CBers. You are quite correct. I had thought that the auto alarm set after 30 secs also set the deadlocks, but as you pointed out, you must operate the locking system twice in 3 seconds to do that. You live and learn.
Cheers jegrugby

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My problem seemed to be caused by me setting the double click too soon after closing door(s). As long as I close doors and wait 10 seconds, the onboard computer registers the doors are closed and then I can double click with no problem of false triggering. Try that before taking the light pod off and disconnecting wires.
Aussie Ed

1 - 20 of 52 Posts