Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we
.Just wondering as you do on a quiet afternoon. The Epica is having its MOT on tuesday 2 months short of 3 years old, (because 1'll be busy for the next 3 months, and it is convenient to do now), I read the honestjohn mot report and chevys in general had a 30% failure rate at the 1st mot. So mine has been serviced and cleaned and checked, we'll see!
This got me to thinking, How many faults have you had on your cars?
Example, epica 7000 miles, at purchase aug 2010, oil leak (pipe from filter to cooler) air con u/s, both recalls.. drivers mirror switch and mirror failed, replaced no problem as no impact damage to mirror. battery failed dec 2011 replaced with upgraded battery. malfunction indicator light came on for windscreen wash intermittently, then permanently, flushed out washer bottle and added a 5% bleach mix and left overnight and flushed out, now seems to be ok....
But overall still happy with car!

Happy motoring all!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had my Captiva for five and a half months and it has been in for 2 warranty repairs so far.
1. Misalligned cooling fan - cooling fan and air con fan both replaced as they came in a twin pack.

2. Throttle sensor malfunction - sensor replaced.

The fault with cooling fan was only discovered when I took it in for them to investigatea problem with the fan coming onfive to ten seconds after engine switch off thenremaining on at extremely high revs for up to 30 seconds before switching off. Not the normal running of the fan briefly after engine switch off.

The second fault was as a result of the engine warning light coming on on the dash.

Also broke the hopeless piece of cheap plastic under the front bumper. Chevrolethave agreed to pay for part of the repair which is quite generous in the circs.

Still happy with the car, but that might be tested if it continues to go in for warranty repairs at the current rate.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
jonnybgood said:
I have had my Captiva for five and a half months and it has been in for 2 warranty repairs so far.

Misalligned cooling fan - cooling fan and air con fan both replaced as they came in a twin pack.

The fault with cooling fan was only discovered when I took it in for them to investigatea problem with the fan coming onfive to ten seconds after engine switch off thenremaining on at extremely high revs for up to 30 seconds before switching off. Not the normal running of the fan briefly after engine switch off.

Jonnybgood, I have same event with high fan reving on stopping, but put it down to short run (into town) and insufficient air flow. I even checked coolant level thinking maybe 'lost' some. In view of your experience I am going to keep close eye on this in case it is a known defect.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
I forgot to mention that the replacement of both fans did not resolve the issue and the same thing has happened again 2 or 3 times since, after both short and medium length journeys.
I had posted this issue on this forum a few months back but it didn't get much comment suggesting that I was pretty much on my own with this one. Glad I'm not the only one Aussie Ed.

It is important to mention that it is not the normal operation of the fan after engine switch off which you usually get for 5 to 10 seconds after switch off. This is where the fanis excessively revving and continues for a lot longer before eventually switching off. It sounds like the engine is preparing for take off!!

I did go on another forum, it may have been an Australian site, and people on there, who had had a similar problem were arguing between an electrical fault in the new Captiva, andDPF regeneration. Anyhow when I took it into the dealer all the diagnostic lights showed green to go, and the only thing they could find was the misalligned cooling fan, which they replaced!

I'm like you, Aussie Ed, playing it by ear at the moment, see if any other issues crop up with the electrics or the DPF for example.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Jonnybgood, fully understand description. Not gentle humm of fan, but prolonged really high revs to the extent gives impression if I let parking brake off it would take off! I am starting to wonder if coolant flow thermostat is stuck closed?! However temp guage reads normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts