Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on towing with the captiva? ive towed a caravan many times but just towed with my captiva ltx and what a great under estimated tow car it is i think theres too many badge snobs out there who wouldnt /dont give it a second look because its not got a landrover badge on the front but im well impressed with the way it handled i reset the computer for a rough guide and it said 18.9l per100km=24mpg so im a happy chappy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, I agree Andy.

So far I've found ours a good tow-car (we have a 5-berth single-axle caravan). It's stable, torquey enough for our needs and, although I've not worked out a figure, economy seems reasonable.

The one improvement I think would be a 6-speed box, like the facelifted models have. The gap between 1st & 2nd in particular feels very wide when towing - especially on the hilly roads by us.
That aside, I think it does the job very well.

Badge snobs? Meh... Can't be doing with 'em.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I've towed for years, most recently with a Rover 75 tourer, which even though underpowered at only 114bhp, towed well as long as I didn't have to stop on a steep hill. After buying a new heavier caravanI bought the Captiva and what a difference! We have been away five times in the last couple of months and apart from the fuel economy (or lack of it) I think it's brilliant. Just waiting to try out the 4X4 bit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No problems towing our small 4 berth with our Captiva, it's only a light van at 950KG but all the same it feels great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brilliant tow car - surged around towing a 1650kg 'van - it felt as if there wasn't a single hill in Britain that it wouldn't effortlessly climb.

The self levelling Nivomats (7 seater) kept everything nice and trim, and the weight of the car made the outfit feel incredibly stable, even at speed.

The downside was the fuel consumption ;) - expect anything between 18 -22 mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts