Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to fit an aftermarket radio in my matiz bot the old unit is screwed into some brackets and these brackets wont fit my new head unit. in the past i have used the cage thats supplied with the radio.does anyone of a way of mounting an after market radio?

·
Registered
343 Posts
sharkyd76 said:
im trying to fit an aftermarket radio in my matiz bot the old unit is screwed into some brackets and these brackets wont fit my new head unit. in the past i have used the cage thats supplied with the radio.does anyone of a way of mounting an after market radio?
mine came fitted with an aftermarket single din radio unit. Im in london atm but when im home tomorrow ill have a go at getting out to see if i can find an answer for you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi, if the matiz is similar to Lacetti then the radio has no cage, my was fitted at the sides of radio to frame work behind fascia (I ended up crow baring mine out, before realising how it was fitted, I should of removed the heating knobs and fascia surrounding radio first to gain access to brackets) on mine there was no provision to fit the cage, my new radio unit had M5 tapped holes in various places on sides in order to fit cars where the cage can't go in, I didn't want to strip down the fascia and bits, so I managed to secure the aftermarket radio cage to the storage slot below, it's not perfect but it does the job.
I'm guessing your new radio doesn't have the pre tapped holes on its sides? To do it properly you would have strip out fascia, remove existing radio and brackets, re fit brackets to sides on new radio and then fit back onto car frame.
Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the original head unit had brackets screwed to the side and then they were screwed to the bulkhead.my new head unit has screw holes in the side but the brackets dont line up properly and theres no where for a cage to attatch to the bulkhead

·
Registered
155 Posts
Seems like the two cars radios are fitted in the same way, the only other thing I can suggest is to modify the existing brackets to suit your new radio or fabricate some from metal strips (have you got bits and pieces in a garage or shed to make some from?)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Kev82chev said:
Seems like the two cars radios are fitted in the same way, the only other thing I can suggest is to modify the existing brackets to suit your new radio or fabricate some from metal strips (have you got bits and pieces in a garage or shed to make some from?)
this could be easily done and i youre local to me ill happily do it for you for free as i have the means and materials. When i finish work tonight ill update with pictures of however my radio is fitted!
EDIT

Edited by: 08matiz

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the next job on the horizon is replacing my radio. There is a very useful youtube clip that shows how it can be done physically. However I have a query over the connection. The youtube clip seems to show an adapter in use but the photos in this thread seem to show the bulk standard connection being used.

So the question is how do I know if the radio I will hook up (wharfdale 500/6449(D) p/o 153080) will need and adapter or not ?

got the wiring diagram but no mention of adapters.

Is there and iso standard for this sort of thing ?

all input gratefully received....

·
Registered
31 Posts
looks like my use of the search function didn't yield all results. Found the answer here in an old thread seems it is a standard iso fitting and no adapter should be required.

another go on the naught step i suppose... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have failed to install the new radio. After plugging in as show in the youtube video got a majestic cloud of smoke from the new radio. It was a standard neg earth block so dont know how its gone wrong. Think its the amplifier part of the radio that has blow (since plugging into the rca port on the back still gives sound). So I suppose suspicion has to lie with the speakers.

Anyone had a speaker fault that has blow a radio ?

there goes £90. so off to console myself in the liqueur cabinet......

·
Registered
31 Posts
the mystery continues... I took the new radio and set it up using some speakers and old 12v battery....

and the radio works fine (well i got it to play a cd as didn't have an Ariel to plug in) so now confused as to what was smoking. Even more frustration was when the old radio was tested on same rig and that works too. So whatever problem exists is in the wiring loom somewhere or the speakers themselves (still yet to test them). So have to devise a method of testing the iso block for faults. Need to find my meter with the narrow probes. Oh deep joy ....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Thinking of a radio / CD upgrade soon to something with Bluetooth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
SRP, No haven't got round to sorting this out yet. At the moment just a big hole where the radio used to be. Loom issues usually take a long time to sort and car needed daily at the moment. Now the weather getting colder too not much incentive to get out there. Will update here if I make any progress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts