Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to previously do patch work on the coupling for MOT purposes. However age as taken its toll and it now looks like this..
1432


The repair involved a jubilee each end and exhaust putty to seal. One jubilee clip remains... I did purchase a repair kit (from ebay) some time ago.
1433


However I didn't fit it as one of the bolts on the down connector is seized and if I gave it too much "welly" would just snap off...

1434


Hence the clips and putty solution... I have perused YouTube (as you do) looking for a fix and watching this video I could see the use of a tool which could remove the need to break that joint.
1435


The other worry is the protrusions from new joint may be a bit too big to fit the curving up pipe to the catalytic converter. This may be solved by shortening them with an angle grinder, however don't know if that would affect the strength of the joint.

So my questions to the forum are :

1) Anyone done this type of thing on their machine and lived to tell the tale ?
2) Is that tool as easy to use as show on the video ?
3) Should I just go for the easy option and get two new jubilee clips and new tin of exhaust putty ?

All input gratefully received.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
The braiding just covers the flexi pipe that runs underneath it. As long as there is no leakage of exhaust fumes it wont fail the MOT. The braiding on my cars flexi pipe was removed as it was doing absolutely nothing but sliding about but its not blowing or leaking and its just passed its MOT. My daughters Matiz on the other hand did leak so i just replaced the middle section of exhaust for the cost of £61. If you need to remove any of the 3 bolts try using heat to remove or just use your angle grinder to cut through the nuts and replace the nuts. Hope this helps. Regards Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mick
Thanks for your input. so the thread on the upper joint is a bolt not part of the upper casting (which is what I thought). Unfortunately the one seized is the top one closest to the engine which would prevent the angle grinder getting in there. A blow torch may get there though. Have sent off for that cutting tool should be with me by Friday (if ebay dates are still reliable). So will asses approach then. The repair kit cost £25 (in 2018 - now annoyingly only £15 on ebay at the moment) . I did ask at one point a garage to fit, but they wanted to charge me £90 (with me supplying parts) which I thought was a bit of a rip-off. Hence it stayed on the shelf and out came the jubilee clips and putty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I did manage to snap one of the studs on my Daughters Matiz so ended up drilling it out and replacing it with a bolt. Hope you manage to sort it.
Regards. Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
final update

did manage to get the job done however it a bit more difficult than expected. The cutting tool did the job but was not as easy to use as shown on that youtube video
1485


The first cut took 1 hour lying on the floor with the car up on axle stands.
1486


the tool drags a bit (in hindsite - maybe i should of used some oil) the front cut went faster about 30 mins some of that due to the movement being less close to the front mounting.

1487


The fit didnt go easy either. Had hoped there would be enough movement in the rear bit of the exhaust to get into the new coupling but not so. Ended up dropping rubber mountings on mid section then it just made it in. Getting exhaust back on rubber mounting once engaged was a real tussle as the coupling clearance on joint was only 1 mm. After a few chosen words of encouragement and some wd40 the rubber mountings did attach. Then as i had already put on the sealant to both coupling and cut pipes it was just a matter of putting on exhaust clamps

1488


Since the sealant was thermosetting a few laps of the block got the engine up to temperature to ensure a good seal.

So least I didn't end up having to break any joint on the exhaust to get it done but it was a bit more physically demanding than I had anticipated.

Hope my tale is useful to someone considering the same exercise.

ttfn
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top