Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Anyone experienced this before?? I have 4 lights on my dashboard all at once. I have the Traction Control, ABS, Brake and Down Hills assist lights on all at once. They appeared about a week ago intermittently but now they are on permanently. Please see the attached pic. Any suggestions??
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Car

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have to run a diagnosis on your car, there are a lot of reasons to get these lights. All of them are related to ABS (Hill descend uses ABS to brake the wheels when descending, ESP/traction control also uses the ABS to correct the trajectory of the car by braking a wheel), so it could be a bad ABS wheel sensor or even a bad ABS module. Did you do anything particular before the light came the first time (e.g changing a bearing or you wheels for winter)? If yes, then the most probable reason is an ABS sensor/ wire that was weak. But without diagnosis you cannot know which one is...

Reactions: Metro1000

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
Totally agree with Ches's comments. This is a well reported topic (dozens of previous posts) and the description would imply a defective ABS sensor or the connector block has corroded contacts. ABS is an easily checked issue. The Forum Advanced Search function will provide the previous discussions.

PhilDiaz, It is usual to complete details of your vehicle ie year/variant etc and your World location in the designated sections.
How to do this and helpful guidance on using the Search function is in the following link:-

Reactions: Metro1000

·
Registered
462 Posts
Both the above comments are absolutely correct, I don't have a Captiva, but Peugeot, when a fault is detected in the ABS system, immediately deactivates the ABS, EBD, auto handbrake, hill hold, in fact EVERYTHING related to the braking system. It leaves you with just normal braking function (like we had on all cars up until about 1992), and wails at you until you sort it out, with a dashboard like a Christmas tree, recording 70+ error codes.

It makes good sense because if it was malfunctioning, it would be more dangerous than turning the whole lot off.

In the case I dealt with, it turned out to be that the main fuse, feeding the ABS pump, which is not in a fusebox, but on one of those terminal frames clamped to the battery, along with it's holder, had corroded due to that electrical corrosion you get on battery terminals having "crawled" up into the fuse, rotted it out, and then going over a bump had finally broken the fuse internally, spawning the domino effect of lights, codes and warnings.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
Captiva 2.2 4x4(2012).Cruze 2.0(2010)
1 Posts
You have to run a diagnosis on your car, there are a lot of reasons to get these lights. All of them are related to ABS (Hill descend uses ABS to brake the wheels when descending, ESP/traction control also uses the ABS to correct the trajectory of the car by braking a wheel), so it could be a bad ABS wheel sensor or even a bad ABS module. Did you do anything particular before the light came the first time (e.g changing a bearing or you wheels for winter)? If yes, then the most probable reason is an ABS sensor/ wire that was weak. But without diagnosis you cannot know which one is...
Almost guarantee it will be a wheel sensor.

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
Hi Barry, Welcome to the Forum. You input is pretty much in agreement with others.

As a new member please remember to complete your Sign-Up. Your World location and vehicle details were left blank (the forum system believes you are located in Australia (?) Helpful tips on using the Forum can be found in the following link:-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts