Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd read about front badges having to be replaced because they'd gone manky.
I've had a variation on that theme - anyone else come across this one?

The badge looked fine when we bought the car last summer. There wasn't a black border around the bow-tie, but to be honest I didn't think any more about it.
Then over winter it gradually lost its gold colour, the finish began to flake off, and a dint appeared in the top centre:

Looking closer, it turns out there wasn't a glued-on rigid badge - it was some kind of adhesive foil. When I gently pressed on the dint, my finger went straight through... (there's a hollow behind the badge in that spot - it also had water trapped in it)

Anyway - I sourced a correct badge. Peeled away the foil stuff, cleaned off the adhesive residue, fitted the new one. That's more like it:

·
Registered
997 Posts
What appears to have happened is that the original transparent plastic part of the badge has fallen away and it has left thecolouredmetallicfoil which forms themetallicgold part of the badge, which has then faded due to it's exposure to the elements. I had the start of this with my car- the foil was peeling off inside the plastic and showing as a discoloured blister, which went away if you put pressure on the top edge of the badge.

Looks much better now and congrats on your colour choice- only the best people have zest brown Captivas!

Iain

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Gaston, Im also looking for a front badge because that happened to me as well. Do you mind if I ask you where did buy the badge. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation Iain - that makes sense.

Iceman:
They're readily available from Chevrolet dealers (I was quoted £18+VAT), but I bought one cheaper on ebay from this chap: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/automotiveapro
Genuine GM part, came to about £12.50 including postage (from S.Korea). No fuss, job done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For Info, I got both my front and rear badges replaced FOC under warranty. The car was about 9 months old when I noticed both badges had gone funny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gaston said:
Thanks for the explanation Iain - that makes sense.

Iceman:
They're readily available from Chevrolet dealers (I was quoted £18+VAT), but I bought one cheaper on ebay from this chap: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/automotiveapro
Genuine GM part, came to about £12.50 including postage (from S.Korea). No fuss, job done.
Thanks for posting this, ordering one now....Same problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Removed my badge cleaned off all the old adhesive with petrol, polished up the chrome which is the same as the rest of the chrome on the grill. Although it has a dimple at the top I think it looks quite good particularly if you are not keen on the gold standard bow tie. Give it a try before you stick your new badge back on, seen one other cleaned up like mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
bel said:
Removed my badge cleaned off all the old adhesive with petrol, polished up the chrome which is the same as the rest of the chrome on the grill. Although it has a dimple at the top I think it looks quite good particularly if you are not keen on the gold standard bow tie. Give it a try before you stick your new badge back on, seen one other cleaned up like mine.
How did you remove it, was it a case of a blade and slowly slowly or is it easy with a flat blade screw driver. Mine has gone a bit yuk, water seems to got in behind it. Do the new ones just stick straight on, Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Gaston said:
When I gently pressed on the dint, my finger went straight through... (there's a hollow behind the badge in that spot - it also had water trapped in it)

water ingress around the perimeter has been the blight of these badges. When I read about this five years ago shortly after purchasing my Captiva, I cleaned around the perimeter with a tooth brush and then ran vaseline around the perimeter groove. That stopped the moisture ingress.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My badge had also gone bad, so I removed & polished up to a nice shiny chrome finish, looks good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts