Chevrolet Owners Club banner

front head/side light replacement

21K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  K.L.Richards 
#1 ·
Attempted to change blown front head/side light today but couldnt get the unit out, i undid the two bolts on the top of the light but it just wouldnt move. Any ideas how to replace the bulbs??? please.
Its a 2008 model.

Many thanks.

#2 ·
hi chudman
you need to remove the cover on top of the radiator they are threaded screw so undo them if they dont come out just try to put abit of pressure under the head and they will come out then remove the two pozi screws on top of the head light and them there are 3 no 10mm bolts undo them and wiggle the light abit and pull it towards you and it should come out theres a cover at back of light that keeps the electrical bits dry dont forget to put it back before you bolt the light back in (as i did !) should be easy enough.

#4 ·
As Andy said, with one addition....

You need to remove the top radiator cover as that gives you access to 1 more bolt which needs to be removed. There are 3 holding the light assembly plus one push in socket thing (tell I'm no mechanic).

When you have those 3 bolts removed (the 2 you have done) plus the one low one you haven't (if you haven't taken the radiator cover off) then the assembly will come out. Need to pull firm but carefully and it comes out.

Be careful, they don't give much cable slack.

Had to do mine yesterday, and was going to post a thread on what a "pig" of a job it is. Why cant they make changing bulbs easy. My first car was an Avenger many many years ago, and that was a doddle.

As for the crappy plastic screws holding the radiator cover on, good luck. I agree with the posters about applying a little pressure to get them to come out, but all but 6 of mine came out in a state they could be refitted. One had obviously been replaced some time ago with a screw which had rusted. And that was a real f.... to get out.

I have only 6 of those plastic screws holding down my radiator cover now, not that it is loose or I need more, but I'm looking at better fasteners for that. Anyone any ideas ?

#7 ·
K.L.Richards said:
I have only 6 of those plastic screws holding down my radiator cover now, not that it is loose or I need more, but I'm looking at better fasteners for that. Anyone any ideas ?
I have the same situation- and decided since they are such a pain in the rectal area to simply only have a few back in place. I really should get some more though. I had some spare renault ones, but they were too thick to fit in the holes.

Iain
Edited by: bigiainw

#8 ·
andy180 said:
no problems (k.l.richards) just be careful not to drop the lower bolt as that will be a real pain to try and retrieve i have a magnetic bit holder which held the bolt to help it get started .

Yep.. cheers Andy, I was paranoid of droping that 3rd bolt myself. Squeezed my hand down and cupped a few fingers below it just in case... but was lucky.

#9 ·
bigiainw said:
K.L.Richards said:
I have the same situation- and decided since they are such a pain in the rectal area to simply only have a few back in place. I really should get some more though. I had some spare renault ones, but they were too thick to fit in the holes.

Iain

Iain, any idea what they are actually called, sure its not crap plastic screw and fixing thingies....

Only wondered if they can be got on eBay as I was going to ask the local dealer when I get to pop in, but I bet they will charge the earth for them.

#10 ·
They seem to be called push rivets or scrivets (screw rivets) and seem to about £5 for 25 on ebay- yo just need the right size.

Iain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.