Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i have a 2008 ltx and front window wipers dont seem to be working right normally i just keep them on auto but they only work one speed but when you turn them off auto and press them down to just demist you have to hold the stalk else the wipers just stop straight away has anyone got any ideas as what could be wrong or do i just book it in to the garage ? thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think from your description you mis understand the way they work.

I have a 2008 LTX as well.

They work like this, from the VERY top...

If the stalk is at the very top of the cycle it is in Fast wipe mode.

One down from the top is normal wipe

and two down from the top is automatic.

The next down is off.

Down again is one off wipe, where the blades will wipe one only, and the stalk returns to off.

Also, you have a inner wheel on the stalk, which turn anti clockwise will slow down or increase time between wipe, turn clockwise will increase or speed up time between wipes.

This used with auto setting will keep screen clear if fine rain, but watch it is not on during a car wash or you will loose your wiper blades/arms.

Pull the stalk towards you for wash. Wipers will contiue to wipe and wash screen whilst pulled towards you, when released washer stops and wipers continue a few more times to clean screen, before pausing a few seconds and then one more wipe cycle to remove any smears.

If your wipers follow the above you dont have a problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
i have never had a problem with them until yesterday i never explain things properly but if you have the wipers on auto setting then move the turn bit they just keep going at one speed even if its not raining but take the stalk off auto and just press it down you have to hold it down else the wipers just stop in mid flow thank you for your reply

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought it might be!!!! just a case of how much???

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds similar to the other who have had issues with the motor- about £130 if my memory serves me...

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had an identical problem with ours. I took the wiper motor out and refurbished it and it worked for about 3 months and then went wrong again. The issue is with the bearings in the motor getting stuck and the wipers then not correctly returning to park. What can also happen as I found with our is that the eccentric plastic disc that triggers the park switch in the motor can become misaligned with the shaft thus the park position switch triggers at the wrong time.

The solution is to get a new wiper motor. Mine cost about 125 pounds from the local dealer (there is no aftermarket equivalent that I could find). This is significantly cheaper than the approx 250 pounds that the dealer quotes to replace it. It is not difficult to fit a new one but it is a pain to get to the old one as you have to remove a fair few plastic rivets that hold the trim below the window in place. These can easily break when you do this so you may end up with less than you start with.

If anyone is interested I can post full instructions on how to do this (but sorry I didn't take any pictures when I did mine)

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Useful info Charley . Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts