Chevrolet Owners Club banner

fuel consumption

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bigiainw 
#1 ·
Hi all ! Now i know the captiva is never going to win any green awards but my captivas mpg has been getting worse over the last few months i have been mainly doing school runs and going to golf etc but my mpg is working out 14 to 16 i have the 2.0 diesel i dont have the trip computer on my 57 slave lt so i am working mpg out myself. I never fill the tank to save carrying 30 ltrs extra about all the time i work it out with the amount of ltrs i put in wen fuel light comes on and calculate milage wen light reappears its not due a service just wondering if anyone on here has had same prob ! I have also been looking into a chip or remap but if this keeps up i will just need to get shot of it
any help would be great

See less See more
#2 ·
I have an auto also, nice to drive but makes them very thirsty, being doing short runs similar to you and driving relatively steady. Getting between 26 to 28 miles to the gallon, not that good but a lot more than you are getting sound like something is amiss. Don't know that it is that accurate getting your readings buy the fuel light. Bite the bullet and fill the tank to the brim till you see the diesel in the filler zero the trip mileage, run the car till the car is nearly empty, re-fill back up to the neck again work out how many litres convert to gallons and divide into miles from trip counter. after that accurate reading then plan what to do next, don't rush into chips and things as far asI am concerned the jury is still out on that one, don't dispute you can improve power not so sure on mpg.

#8 ·
The trip function on my LTZ Auot says that I am getting around 36MPG, as an average, however my WALLET is telling me I am getting around 26MPG. Got to agree with Bigiainw the only way is to fill the tank, drain it and fill it again. Be sure to be sitting down when you work out MPG!!!

#9 ·
In contrast, the computer on mine, a manual says 27mpg but I actually get 32-33 in normal running. Incidentally, regardless of the litres per 100 miles score, my range remaining always says the same when I fill the tank, which leades me to believe that its all a loads of pants, although the interior/exterior temp does seem to be accurate, so it's not all bad!

#10 ·
Just had my epica serviced, no don't laugh...
at my request fuel filter changed, mechanic said lots of crud in the old one, did carmarthen london carmarthen over the weekend and got better mileage than usual, normally about 40mpg up and down the m4, this time about 45, ( 4 of us+ bagage)
fuel filter change is reccommended every 3 years on the epica, if it is the same on the captiva, (same engine) could be worth spending £18 on it. bit fiddly to do apparently, but seems to have helped me. there were also some leaves that had been drawn up into the air filter, also replaced, and the dealer used the oil i wanted. 0w40 mobil1 dexos 2 £11 litre + vat

5 stars for Cawdor cars in carmarthen for excellent service and all done for about £220 inc vat

#12 ·
On the Captiva, the fuel filter is replaced every year or 10K miles.
And yes, pretty much any Captiva will beat 22mpg, but then it won't go or handle like a hot hatch- it's all horses for courses at the end of the day.
Edited by: bigiainw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.