Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Fuel countdown trip & wind noise

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  placidpete 
#1 ·
Bought a new Captiva LT in Nov '10, have noticed bad wind noise above 55mph from the driver's door and the fuel countdown trip is way out if sync. Just had it in the dealership (which will remain nameless for now) and this was the result -

Wind noise: Dealer - "Seals on door & window are ok", Me - "What speed were you driving when you tested it?", Dealer - "Eh, speed? The car was static", Me - "So you have a wind machine set up back there?", Dealer - "Eh?", Me - "So tell me, how can you test for wind noise if there is no wind?".

Fuel countdown trip (which I know isn't necessary but still): Dealer - "We plugged it into a computer and everything is ok". While driving home the fuel gauge was indicating 5/8 full and the fuel countdown trip was indicating 320 miles to empty. I stopped and added £20 worth of fuel, started the car and the fuel countdown trip indicated 17 miles to empty (yes, 17). Hmm. This happens all the time, I even drove the car to 'red / empty' on the fuel gauge, filled it completely, and the fuel countdown trip indicated 70 miles to empty.

Due to work commitments the car is now booked back in at the dealer's for the first week in March, I'll keep you posted. Anyone else had these issues? Also, very interesting re the clutch problems, ta for the info.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think any of us are impressed by the trip computer's accuracy or lack there of, but yours takes the bicuit by some distance. Interesting method of roadtesting for wind noise though, very low carbon footprint friendly. Is your dealer operating a job creation scheme for your local mental institution by any chance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.