Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I wonder if someone out there can help ease my frustration and, maybe, give me a few pointers. I recently purchased a second hand (08-57 plate) Captiva LTX 7 Seat Diesel Manual. The car drives beautifully BUT only returns 26mpg at best on a long journey!!!

I have tried all the tricks in the book. I am driving steadily and the ECU has had an ECO Remap - I won't tell you what the mpg was before the remap!

26mpg is way off the manufacturer's 38mpg and even though they use perfect conditions I DO NOT understand how a manufacturer can market a car at 38mpg and then it give you 26mpg. This way off the mark.

Help!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have exactly the same spec (08 - 57 Plate) LTX Desiel (manual).

Are you basing this on the Trip computer reading of consumption or have you actually worked it out.

I was really concerned I was only getting 26 mpg according to the Trip Computer (which is in Lts per 100 miles to add confusion).

However, I have tracked the amount of fuel I have bought against the miles done, and after driving 3500 miles I have worked out that I'm getting 30.32 mpg, which is not brilliant, but a true combined figure as it represents actual fuel, against actual miles, in real circumstances.

Also, I have driven quite a few miles loaded with 7 passengers (6 + driver) and you would expect that to hit the mpg.

I will be asking the dealer to check the engine settings, to see if there is anuthing that can be done.

Check this site http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENNEWS/chevrolet-captiva.htm. I will be refereing to this, when I ask the dealer to double check my car....

But I think the key thing is not to rely on the trip computer, as it doesnt appear to be that accurate.

If you find out anything else, that might prove useful to the rest of us, please let us know.

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - many thanks for your reply.

I bought the car two weeks ago and it has 33000 miles on the clock.

When I picked it up it was returning 12.1litres per 100km - around 23mpg.

I was dismayed with this. So I had it remapped on an ECO setting by Viezu Technologies, Bromsgrove. First of all they went too far, the Captiva returned around. 9.3litres per 100km and the car hesitated quite a lot.

After taking the car back and getting the remap tweaked the car now returns 9.4litres per 100km (30.04mpg) according to the computer but according to the tank and working it out exactly the car is actually returning 27.4mpg.

I am completely confused and slightly irritated!

Again many thanks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Fully appreciate your concerns. I've had my car now for 3 months. In the first 2 weeks I was like you, astonished, but my previous car was a S-Type Jag (2.5 V6 automatic) which only gave me 23mpg. It took me a while to change my driving style.

I get a VAT reciept for all fuel I put in (for buisness expenses) so it is easy to track actual Ltrs bought against miles I do. Obviously in the first few weeks, the MPG was up and down like a rollercoaster, but the more miles driven the more it levels out, giving a "truer" reflection on consumption.

I'm avoiding the ECU remapping until it is out of warranty, but I intend to take it to a Chevvy Dealership and quizz them..... Only problem is the nearest dealer to me (where I work) is FRF, and they aint got a good rep.

Strange that your trip comp, gives you more than your calc. But you have to consider that the Trip Comp works consumption from the reset of the Trip. If you drive very very carefully after the reset, it may not be a true reflection of consumption since you last refilled. Unless of course that is when you reset the Trip... Basically there are so many factors, the only way is to manually calculate, and the more miles and fuel the more "accurate" your calculation will get....

All the best, will post more info, if I get anything out of the dealer...

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I have tried to trace the history of the vehicle back and after contacting a dealer from the south I have been told that my Captiva is an import. Would like to have known that when I purchased the vehicle!

Perhaps this has some effect? Perhaps things are geared up differently?

Anyhow - will contact Chevrolet Customer Services and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Will let you know when I hear something useful.

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's not nice, you expect that sort of info before you buy. Mind you, I would not expect it to be a problem.

However, can I draw you attention to another post I mad on recalls. I found that a recall had been listed on the VOSA site, which could be serious if not fixed. Its to do with the steering. This problem was world wide, if you check the web. So can I suggest you get your dealer to check this problem has been rectified. They can't fob you off on "the import" line, as this is a saftey issue, which could make your car unsafe.

Dont ignore it please..... It's not something to worry about, just ensure it has been rectified....

Good luck...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

A cautionary tale to those looking to purchase a nearly-new Captiva!

As I mentioned in an earlier post. I purchased a nearly-new Captiva a few weeks back and despite it being a fine car the mpg is dire. Averaging 26-27mpg!

Having tried to find some of the past history of the car, other than mere service stamps, I was told that my new Captiva was, in fact, an import and therefore DID NOT have a warranty! I was not told this at purchase.

After a few disgruntled phone calls to the dealer - it appears that the Captiva is a Cypriot import but Chevrolet have now agreed to honour the warranty the dealer admits that the car does need to be investigated due to its low MPG!

More updates as soon as they happen.

A colleague has talked about the dire MPG his Vauxhall Antara is returning. As far as I am aware the Antara and Captiva are built on the same chassis and are very closely linked. If there is anybody out there who has had problems similar to mine please let me know - the more evidence the better!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update on the fuel economy issue.

After anothertweakof the remap the Chevrolet is running beautifully and averaging around 31mpg.

During a visit to a Chevrolet dealer today for a recall I was told that if I was averaging 31mpg I was doing extremely well as their demo cars only seem to average 26-27mpg. It seems that the published combined figure of 37mpg is not of the real world and produced from a rolling road etc etc. We've all heard the story.

He did talk of people using diesel tuning chips which weresuccessful and after a google search I have found that they are around £300.

He felt that remaps did not work, but I am getting 31mpg which is an improvement.

I would be interested to know if anybody out there has tried, or has any intention, of trying a chip.

In summation - I am now pleased with my Captiva. It drives, runs, and holds the road beautifully. It has bags of space and the build quality is great. Now the mpg is the right side of 30 I can begin to enjoy the car more. I only wish for some honesty in consumption figures on behalf of manufacturers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have seen the "chips" my self. Have considered one, but not until my car is out of manufacturers warranty, as they do invalidate it.

My calculations show I average 30.32 mpg over a driven 3500 miles.

I'm like you, not impressed with the figures quoted in the sales brochure, if that MPG is unobtainable. This goes back to the 80s when car manufactures "lied" about mpg, and is why they had to provide Urban, Rural and Combined figures. Also, I thought it had to be independantly verified, and could not be in "lab" situation.... I'm going to check that out, as I have my car going into the dealer in August (11th) to have a remap of the ECU, as I get low power output at low revs (below 2000-2500) and then a power surge. I have also said that I'm unhappy with my MPG.

We'll see what they come back with.

As for the dealer saying it was a "rolling road" test for the sales brochure, dont buy that.

What about these guys and their real-life test, plus they had 7 adults in the car... THEY GOT 42.42 mpg, and they arent biased, they are independant group premoting GREEN cars. Dont think they wouldhave been so impressed with the Captiva if it only gave low 30s.

Update you when I have mine checked.

What is interested is on the whole, we all seemed pleased with the Captiva, just hope Chevrolet reckognise this, and do something to iron out the niggles....

·
Registered
7 Posts
What kind of magic fuel were these people using ?

I have the 2L diesel (09 reg) and manage only about 400 miles on 60 litre of fuel which works out at approx 30miles per gallon. This is mainly driving to work and back and it is mainly cruising on the motorway at around 70 - 75 mph. This does match roughly what the trip computer says but is worse than I had hope.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just returned from a drive to Southern France and back in Captiva. The Captiva has settled at a concrete figure of 29mpg for town driving and 31mpg on the motorway.

During the drive down, and under pressure, the Captiva momentarily lost all power. This was only for a second but at around 75mph going up hill and accelerating past a lorry all gauges and lights went completely out and then back on, with the dashboard and ECU lights flashing a fault.

After a phone call to Chevrolet back in the UK, they admit to a fault on the Captiva where at some points when the engine is under pressure the wiring harness, which is notoriously short on the Captiva, canmomentarilydetach itself. Releasing the pressure on the engine reconnects the harness. The ECU light should extinguish itself after around 20 drive cycles.

After getting the car checked when back in the UK, the dealer admitted that the Captiva will only ever manage around 30-31mpg. The old story of laboratory tests etc etc etc. I am sure under laboratory conditions my Captiva could reach 200mph, but it's not advertised as that! When I buy a tin with a label that states 'Baked Beans' I expect to open the can and find baked beans not a pile of s**te that only turns into baked beans under laboratory conditions.

So yet again - I do love my Captiva, it drives beautifully BUT a bit of honesty from Chevrolet would be lovely ... and by that I mean honesty before purchase and NOT AFTER!

But in the meantime watch out for the momentary loss of power when under pressure! (Much like it's owner!)

And also .. anybody having problems with their Rain Sensing Wipers? Am I the only one whose wipers start when it rains but then never stop and never park until the next day!!!

Ho hum

Edited by: mjefferson

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sam: I was wondering what fuel they used also.... I have contacted the site, and asked for the conditions they did they're tests under. As they are a "green" site, you would expect them NOT to over exaggerate. But, unfortunately they have decided not to reply. But if they do, I will post what they say.

mjefferson: Interesting that about the "wiring loom". How does it disconnect, but miraculously reconnect itself. I can understand how it could disconnect, but re-plug itself in...mmm. I have to agree with you regarding honesty in MPG figures. It is not acceptable to advertise something that cannot be achieved, makes a mockery of the advertising. Like you, I'm pleased with the Captiva, but an accurate MPG figure would be appreciated. I have booked mine in for a check, with regard the consumption next week. Will let you know if they pull off a miracle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

Re the wiring loom. Don't think I explained myself too clearly. The mechanic on the phone described it like a loose connection. I suppose similar to a power lead on a laptop. If the harness is put under pressure - and the mechanic said this can happen due to the very short wiring harness on a Captiva - all power can be lost for a short space of time. When the pressure is released - of the engine RPM drops - the power then begins to flow once more. Again, I suppose much like wriggling a power lead on a laptop. Anyhow, it did cause me some concern driving through Lyon on a busy Saturday afternoon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
re - fuel economy - this week I have been driving it very gently, keeping speed below 65mph, no sudden acceleration, etc. and managed to push the consumption to approx 34mpg !

May be if I drive everywhere at 50mph then it would be better still but slightly annoying for everyone else on the motorway. To be fair Chevy are not the only ones to oversell their fuel efficiency figures. A friend had a long running argument over fuel consumption with VW for his Passat

With regard to the wiring loom - that sounds a bit scary. May be there should be modification plan and a recall by chevy. Be nice to get something in writing so that further action could be called for.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My Captiva (2.0 D LTX) went to the Chevy dealership yesterday.

The issues I had was:-

1) From a standing start, the engine would labour with little pull, then surge when the revs where around 2000 r/min. Acceleration when moving wasn't a problem, and the car has plenty of torque.

2) I complained that my fuel consumption was high, and no where near the 36mpg combined quoted by Chevrolet.

The dealer "couldn't" find anything mechanically/physically wrong with the car, so reprogrammed the ECU with the latest software release (sorry didn't ask for version numbers - didn't think at the time).

Anyway, bit early to give conclusive results, but since yesterday I have driven a little over 100 miles, and I can confirm that the power surge stated in 1) above seems to have been cured. The car now pulls fairly evenly throughout the range.

As for MPG, since the reprogramming, the trip computer is saying I'm consuming 12.90 ltrs/100 miles, which equates to a tad over 35 mpg. About 70 (ish) miles have been driven on the motorway (speeds around 70-75mph) and the remainder driven on Urban (30 & 40mph) roads. So the 35 mpg is roughly a combined figure. Now I know I need to let it settle down, and do more miles before getting a "truer" picture of consumption, but though I would give you a heads-up.

If, when it settings I get a combined of between 33-35mpg, I will be content.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I picked up my '08 LTX manual from Castle donnington today and drove back to Scotland via Leeds. Consumption at 75 mph-ish by cruise with the climate on max low was 33.8mpg, which I have to say was some way from the 15.9l/100miles that the trip was quoting (28.5mpg) and perhaps closer to the stated figures than I expected. My prvious Laguna II was never better than 15% less than the quoted combined figure of 50.6 mpg. The car seems to pull strongly, although does suffer a wee bit from turbo lag below 2000 rpm (for a wee but read bugger all happens), but I'm still learning the car. Can't get used to only 5 gears after years of 6, but it's a torquey beastie, so it's no big deal so long as you keep the revs up.

Iain

·
Registered
997 Posts
Checked my economy over 5 days of mixed driving- now getting 32.7mpg which is still quite good I think considering the variations in driving conditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still getting around 29 - 30mpg. Still waiting for time to get to dealer to update ECU. Quite keen to hear if ECU would be updated under warranty. Anybody out there any ideas?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts